Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
I have never had any issues with Ikea chairs. We have several in the office at the moment and they are good, granted they are from the higher price range. I agree with an earlier post mentioning that with Ikea the quality is really relative to the price.

I don't know what options you have over there, but I wouldn't limit myself to one company, even if it is Ikea. Shop around and see if you can test any chairs to get a feel for what suits you. I'm guessing this is a spot you will be sitting in a lot if it is for work so make sure it's comfortable and make sure the quality is built to last.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Same here, I'm really worried about the cushioning

All cushioning will break down over time but especially foam cushioning. They don't even have to break down significantly for them to become uncomfortable. The seat pan cushion has an ideal shape so that it doesn't apply too much pressure to more pressure sensitive spots of your butt and legs. If the center starts to sag just a little, the cushion is no longer balanced in its performance and you start getting more pressure in some areas.

I tend to favor mesh chairs and chairs that have a scuplted seat pan that's designed to feel comfortable with only a small amount of padding. You have more control over these as they age and they work better with simple modifications. If they're too hard somewhere, you can always add extra padding on your own.

I've owned quite a few chairs. The ones that served me the longest were all ones that were slight in bulk and heavy in adjustability. Depending on how I feel, I'll just augment it an with extra high back/neck support pad, a gel seat pad, memory foam seat pad, lumbar roll, or even gel arm cushions.

You have to be a bit creative though. Some of the products I use to augment my chairs weren't intended to be used in that manner. Most of them were intended for car seats and my high back cushion is actually an inverted lumbar support used upside down and strapped to the back of my chair.

These modifications work best on chairs with light bulk, but they could work just as well on highly padded chairs that have broken down. It's just that it can get awkward adding bulk to bulk.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.