Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bakerster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
I believe that the product (software) that we are seeing isn't what we will be using by the end of this year.

Why?

There was no word of iPhone 4.0 today. Who knows what apple has up its sleeve for 4.0. Do you guys not remember the advancements of the operating system that came with 2.0, 3.0?

Obviously this doesn't fix the camera issue (for those who believe it's an issue, I personally don't.) but multitasking.. flash.. both of those are probably going to be included in OS4.0...

anyone agree?

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
I also think that when the iPad launches, it will have an upgraded version of the iPhone OS (not necessarily 4.0), hopefully one that includes flash

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple typically notifies developers of any major changes the OS. Today's keynote is was geared for the public not for the developer.

OS 4.0 will be announced in due time, and it will be released next June.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
well, its your call if you want to put $500 forward in two months and HOPE OS 4.0 will bring the stuff you mentioned later.

nobody can disprove a "hope" since its all vapor.

But as far as I can see, since it has no camera, no USB port, probably 512MB RAM, 1GHZ ARM, 16G HDD, I would stay away until they revise it.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I also think that when the iPad launches, it will have an upgraded version of the iPhone OS (not necessarily 4.0), hopefully one that includes flash

It extremely doubtful that you will see the iPad ship with 4.0. It most likely will be shipping with a final version of what was demo'd today. They just released the SDK for 3.2, so there's no way they would jump to 4.0 before March. Most likely around the time it is released the 4.0 SDK will start beta testing for release later this summer.

bakerster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
exactly. this was for the public. this got everyone excited. when they do they're roadmap thing (like they did last year) with 4.0, I'm sure there will be plenty of upgrades to the iPad..

and i think multitasking and flash are going to be part of it.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Nah, AAPL is in their little ongoing spat with Adobe.

No Flash. No soup. No hulu for you.

You get the picture.

Alan Taylor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
Mississauga
Apple typically notifies developers of any major changes the OS. Today's keynote is was geared for the public not for the developer.

OS 4.0 will be announced in due time, and it will be released next June.

Actually, paid developers got plenty of new things to play with. 3.2 is a bigger step up than you realize.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
I dont see why apple would demo something that is using old software, it defeats the purpose of the demo. Honestly the iPad has put a lot of fear in me that OS 4.0 will be a major letdown, or not happen until next year. Anyone know if the iPad and iPhone run the same firmware? I mean if you go into ipad settings does it say 3.2 or 1.0?

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I dont see why apple would demo something that is using old software, it defeats the purpose of the demo. Honestly the iPad has put a lot of fear in me that OS 4.0 will be a major letdown, or not happen until next year. Anyone know if the iPad and iPhone run the same firmware? I mean if you go into ipad settings does it say 3.2 or 1.0?

It's running iPhone 3.2 which is only compatible with the iPad not the iPhone or iPod touch.

Sounds weird but it's true.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
It's running iPhone 3.2 which is only compatible with the iPad not the iPhone or iPod touch.

Sounds weird but it's true.

It's not that weird. They most likely forked the code from 3.1 for the iPod Touch. They will probably merge everything back together when 4.0 is released later this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.