Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SweetApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2016
Philadelphia
I am going to buy an iPhone 6s soon in about October when the iPhone 7 comes out and I feel like the best way for me to save some money is to buy it from swappa but I'm scared. :(

Have any of you been scammed?
Did you get a phone what wasn't paid for or wasn't what you expected?
Was anyone ever dishonest?
What do you look for when buying on swappa? Red flags?
How can I be safe on swappa?
What questions do I ask the seller?
What if the phone is dirty? Lol.

Like im so scared :(. I've been working and saving up for this phone I don't want to give all my money to a stranger and end up with a dud.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Swappa is extremely reliable. IMEI is pre checked and all users have ratings.
I have had many transactions using Swappa and have been extremely pleased.

CC

Reactions: Swappa

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I have bought 2 phones from swappa. Lost the first one, so went ahead and bought another one. I had no
problems at all. I would buy from them again.

I want to sell my brother's iPhone SE on swappa, but I'm a little afraid to do that, since I've never sold anything
online.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
What's with the "I'm so Scared" talk? Why don't you use the word "Concern" instead. :confused: Selling an iPhone doesn't have to be a scary moment.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I plan on selling my 6S on swappa. It's in near mint condition and I have no harmful ulterior motives. I disclose even the most tiniest impossible to see with the naked eye defects (like case rub).

mush10

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Put me down as another person who has had nothing but success buying and selling on Swappa.

SweetApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2016
Philadelphia
Ok, I think I'm going to take the change and later buy the 6s plus on swappa after the 7 comes out. I want to buy an unlocked one and use it on metro pcs.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If you're scared about the condition of the phone, just filter out the "good" and "fair" condition phones so you get a new or like new model. I have bought and sold numerous phones on Swappa and I highly recommend them. The sellers are very honest, but if you're still skeptical, you can ask the seller questions or have them upload more detailed pictures of the phone.

Last edited:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Bought my 6s on Swappa in November, never had an issue. I've also bought 13 other phones and iPads with zero problems since 2012. Wonderful site. Just got my HTC 10 in June, seller even included the original receipt for warranty purposes.

I also sell on there from time to time when I change phones. I've only had a couple of them either not respond or mess things up. It's usually harder to be the seller than the buyer. When you do buy, do your best to be proactive and respond to comments and when you receive the phone :)

YPjKhxU.png

Swappa

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2016
I am going to buy an iPhone 6s soon in about October when the iPhone 7 comes out and I feel like the best way for me to save some money is to buy it from swappa but I'm scared. :(

Have any of you been scammed?
Did you get a phone what wasn't paid for or wasn't what you expected?
Was anyone ever dishonest?
What do you look for when buying on swappa? Red flags?
How can I be safe on swappa?
What questions do I ask the seller?
What if the phone is dirty? Lol.

Like im so scared :(. I've been working and saving up for this phone I don't want to give all my money to a stranger and end up with a dud.

First off we want to thank everyone here for all of the kind words! We're so happy to see all of the Swappa Love <3

Hey there SweetApples, we're excited to see that you're looking into using our site to get your next phone!

Let's see if we can't get you a bit more comfortable. For starters this is an official Swappa account, if you need confirmation you can reach out to social@swappa.com. Also I'm going to respond here as a staff member/real person who has used Swappa for over 5 years. Here is my personal account: https://swappa.com/user/UCQ399/profile (my older account (5 years 1 month) has a few sales but made a new one without realizing it).

As you can see I have sold 35 phones and purchased 12. You'll also notice that I have a rating of 5 stars with 16 feedbacks (not everyone leaves them). Feedbacks are a great way to have an idea how a transaction with a seller might go, and may also help you to feel more comfortable knowing you're dealing with an established seller. However we have lots of great new sellers too.

We also have lots of security measures that other sites don't offer such as every listing being checked by a real human being such as myself, unique listing code/verification photo that must be included with every listing to make sure that the seller actually has the device and it's in the condition they state, we also check the ESN of every device to make sure that it's not blacklisted, and use PayPal for all transactions for protection through the purchase and up to 180 days after just in case.

TL;DR: We provide lots of security measures other sites don't, our whole operation is people powered no autonomous approvals (just have an Autobot for reminders), ESN checks for every listing, unique listing code/verification photo required, PayPal is used for purchases, and we're always available 24/7 by email to help@swappa.com if you ever have questions or need assistance!

We really hope this helps with your decision and if you want to read more about us you can check out our about section here.

SweetApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2016
Philadelphia
First off we want to thank everyone here for all of the kind words! We're so happy to see all of the Swappa Love <3

Hey there SweetApples, we're excited to see that you're looking into using our site to get your next phone!

Let's see if we can't get you a bit more comfortable. For starters this is an official Swappa account, if you need confirmation you can reach out to social@swappa.com. Also I'm going to respond here as a staff member/real person who has used Swappa for over 5 years. Here is my personal account: https://swappa.com/user/UCQ399/profile (my older account (5 years 1 month) has a few sales but made a new one without realizing it).

As you can see I have sold 35 phones and purchased 12. You'll also notice that I have a rating of 5 stars with 16 feedbacks (not everyone leaves them). Feedbacks are a great way to have an idea how a transaction with a seller might go, and may also help you to feel more comfortable knowing you're dealing with an established seller. However we have lots of great new sellers too.

We also have lots of security measures that other sites don't offer such as every listing being checked by a real human being such as myself, unique listing code/verification photo that must be included with every listing to make sure that the seller actually has the device and it's in the condition they state, we also check the ESN of every device to make sure that it's not blacklisted, and use PayPal for all transactions for protection through the purchase and up to 180 days after just in case.

TL;DR: We provide lots of security measures other sites don't, our whole operation is people powered no autonomous approvals (just have an Autobot for reminders), ESN checks for every listing, unique listing code/verification photo required, PayPal is used for purchases, and we're always available 24/7 by email to help@swappa.com if you ever have questions or need assistance!

We really hope this helps with your decision and if you want to read more about us you can check out our about section here.
Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to give me such good info about Swappa ( and to everyone else in the thread too! ) I will 100% be buying my next iPhone on Swappa for sure. If I have any questions I will be sure to use the links and contacts you have provided. I am planning to buy my phone in early or mid fall when I save up for it! :)

Thanks again!

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
LOL! Actually I'm not. I have had PayPal make good on two online transactions that went south. Save you LOL's for subjects that you are knowledgeable on.....

And I've had PayPal confiscate funds directly from my checking account (without my approval) because an eBay buyer decided he didn't need the item he ordered afterall, and then again when another buyer initiated a fraudulent chargeback. Took weeks to clear those up and get my money back from their awful customer service.

Oh, and their mobile app servers were hacked last week. Hundreds of people on Twitter and Facebook were unable to login for days.

So don't tell me what I'm not knowledgeable about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.