iMac 27 12.2 (mid 2011) OCLP Ventura/Monterey issue

Drug_Store

macrumors newbie
Hi,

I have here a iMac 27 mid 2011 12.2 for playing around and testing. It's the i7 3.4ghz with 16GB RAM and 1TB hdd. It's a cool machine still.

Anyway, he has been working flawlessly with his latest available OS (High Sierra), but I decided to give it a go on Ventura.
So I used the OCLP 1.30, installed, applied the root patch, and everything seemed fine, but after a few minutes, just black screen and total freeze. Powered it off, power on and when loading OS (still on initial apple screen with loading bar), goes black and frozen. No way around.

After this, was kind of a nightmare to recover it. Online recovery also same result. Not even trying to install El Capitan helped. Always got frozen when loading. Only working way is to insert the usb pen used to create the OCLP Ventura, going to recovery options, delete the internal disk (but the disk remais in AFPS), do the online recovery (which now goes well), getting into the recovery options and delete the disk again, and now I could recover it with High Sierra USB pen.

Anyway, I thought this might me an issue with Ventura graphic drivers, so I created a OCLP Monterey usb, and got exact same problem. Worked well for half hour or so, and went again for black screen and froze... Had to do the whole recover "thing" as explained above to revive it.

Anyone with same issue?

I've read about this black screen / freeze issues (non related with OCLP), and some user say, this can be related with GPU temperatures. That getting a good clean up and exchange thermal paste on components solved it. But I'm a bit unsure, since he works wells with original OS.

Hope to hear some of your opinions.

Thank you

comcreative

macrumors newbie
Hi, i also installed on my iMac 27 2011 Mid, but i have SSD and maybe is playing a big role (i think) i used open core legacy patcher 1.4.3 all works great maybe a few graphics issues (gpu doesn't support metal) but is not big problem for basic apps like notion or new google chrome.

My Advice try new open core patch on external ssd, in my case its worked after that i was installed on my internal ssd OS X Monterey.

Try to update open core and install new drivers from them, may be will be helpful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.