Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
Hello everyone,
Can I use iMac 5K 2015 27” inch as a monitor for MacBook Pro M1/M2 Max?

Please help me

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Not directly (I.e. not supported by Apple). There are some app-based solutions you can search for.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
What apps?
I wonder if it works and play like regular screen without any delays.?
Definitely not. Using an app like like Duet Display will introduce some latency and potentially things like compression artifacts. You may not notice however but it won't be exactly the same as a native display. You can also look into something like the Luna Display dongle.

Another more extreme option is to mod your iMac just to be a display. There are kits on AliExpress where you replace the guts of your iMac with bits allowing you to use it as a monitor. Obviously you'd lose the ability to use it as a computer and it takes some faith in your technical skills. This would let it work exactly as a monitor however.

Reactions: leifp and bobcomer

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
Definitely not. Using an app like like Duet Display will introduce some latency and potentially things like compression artifacts. You may not notice however but it won't be exactly the same as a native display. You can also look into something like the Luna Display dongle.

Another more extreme option is to mod your iMac just to be a display. There are kits on AliExpress where you replace the guts of your iMac with bits allowing you to use it as a monitor. Obviously you'd lose the ability to use it as a computer and it takes some faith in your technical skills. This would let it work exactly as a monitor however.
Can you send me the kit from aliexpress?

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
can I still use the iMac computer and press a button to change the source of the iMac from monitor to the iMac computer ssd?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
can I still use the iMac computer and press a button to change the source of the iMac from monitor to the iMac computer ssd?

Yes, if you are skilled enough.
The kit has 2 DisplayPort 1.4 inputs to accommodate 2 computers at the same time.
When doing the hack, the 5k LCD will act as external display for the iMac 2015.
You will have to drill several holes to get 1 cable out (to connect to the M2) and 1 cable back in (from the iMac 2015 logicboard to the LCD kit).
There are some critical issues to solve as well, like
1. How to get 12V line to power the kit
2. How to get decent cables to achieve 5k resolution, etc.

Reactions: leifp

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
For myself the solutions I’ve found were all too laggy. I abandoned ship and bought a Studio display. It’s fine. Would have preferred to keep using the iMac display but it’s gone to a good home. They’re running Windows on it where the children use it for schoolwork.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Quote @Nguyen Duc Hieu:

The kit has 2 DisplayPort 1.4 inputs to accommodate 2 computers at the same time.
You will have to drill several holes to get 1 cable out (to connect to the M2) and 1 cable back in (from the iMac 2015 logicboard to the LCD kit).

Hi Not sure I'm following the above - two critical issues which are unsolvable AFAIK.

1. A 2015 iMac only gets 5K connected to a DIY monitor with dual-DP 1.2 cables. A single cable only works at low resolution.
2. An iMac logic board won't function properly if it's not directly connected to its internal screen panel. It needs to read the screen panel temperature, and if it doesn't get this feedback the CPU goes into extremely low power mode.

I'm NOT trying to dissuade anyone from doing the iMac DIY monitor conversion - the results are excellent.
But trying to be too clever with the conversion mostly doesn't work...

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Quote @Nguyen Duc Hieu:

Hi Not sure I'm following the above - two critical issues which are unsolvable AFAIK.

1. A 2015 iMac only gets 5K connected to a DIY monitor with dual-DP 1.2 cables. A single cable only works at low resolution.
2. An iMac logic board won't function properly if it's not directly connected to its internal screen panel. It needs to read the screen panel temperature, and if it doesn't get this feedback the CPU goes into extremely low power mode.

I'm NOT trying to dissuade anyone from doing the iMac DIY monitor conversion - the results are excellent.
But trying to be too clever with the conversion mostly doesn't work...

1. We are not talking about the iMac 2015. We are talking about the LCD panel which originated from an iMac 2015. There are 2 eDP socket on the LCD panel T-con board, there are also 2 eDP socket on the LCD driver kit.
Old LCD driver kit need to be connected with 2 DP 1.2 port.
New LCD driver kit need only 1 DP 1.4 port to achieve 5k resolution.
How can you connect the signal source to DP 1.4 is on the source and cable side, not the LCD driver kit side.

2. As you said, an iMac 2015 needs to read from the temperature sensor attached to the back of the LCD panel, so it doesn't need to be attached to the LCD panel by the flat eDP cables. And in this mod, you still keep the LCD Panel thermal sensor connected so the iMac will function properly.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
1. We are not talking about the iMac 2015. We are talking about the LCD panel which originated from an iMac 2015. There are 2 eDP socket on the LCD panel T-con board, there are also 2 eDP socket on the LCD driver kit.
Old LCD driver kit need to be connected with 2 DP 1.2 port.
New LCD driver kit need only 1 DP 1.4 port to achieve 5k resolution.
How can you connect the signal source to DP 1.4 is on the source and cable side, not the LCD driver kit side.

2. As you said, an iMac 2015 needs to read from the temperature sensor attached to the back of the LCD panel, so it doesn't need to be attached to the LCD panel by the flat eDP cables. And in this mod, you still keep the LCD Panel thermal sensor connected so the iMac will function properly.
so I don't really get you both, is it possible?

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
If you mean:
Can I keep using my iMac 2015 as a working computer AND can I add an AliExpress board to use it as a monitor to add external ports which I can connect to my M1/2 laptop to view the laptop’s output on the iMac’s screen?

No.
The AliExpress boards only work if you disconnect the iMacs internal logic board from the screen.
The iMac’s internal computer goes into very low power mode if it is not connected to its screen.

Technical reasons here towards the end:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.