Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Nope, not allowed at all, clearly. I'm just irritated that folks constantly have excuses as to why they don't want the extra performance in games. It's just...weird.
It's not weird, for the reasons I've explained previously.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I don't know if Metal is a direct competitor to direct-x but the fact remains Windows is more optimized (if you want to call it that) for games, and there's simply more games available on the windows platform.

Metal will be a competitor or alternative to DirectX (hopefully, eventually), but there's simply no software for it yet. If you want to run current games, they're all written for DirectX and/or OpenGL. And the mac OpenGL implementation is pretty poor in terms of game performance.

Metal will not speed up anything currently out there unless the games are patched/re-written for Metal.
[doublepost=1453124878][/doublepost]
What cracks me up is how many people mention how much of a pain/chore/issue it is booting into Windows. Really? It takes about 20 seconds on an SSD or a minute or two on a HDD. Is everyone's time so precious that they can't wait up to two minutes? Go get a drink and make yourself a sandwich. Sheesh.

It's not just the rebooting. It's the additional disk space, and the fact that i'm installing a copy of Windows at all.

Every time i'd reboot into it (sometimes not for weeks/months), it would want to do a heap of windows updates, steam updates, etc.

Running games in the OS you boot into every day is far more convenient.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Metal will be a competitor or alternative to DirectX
That's what Apple is hoping for, I'm not a real gamer so I can't comment how much better that API/platform improves the Macs chances on getting newer games, but people are seemingly excited for it. Seems kind of cool to me, regardless that I don't play much games on my computer.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Metal will be a competitor or alternative to DirectX (hopefully, eventually), but there's simply no software for it yet. If you want to run current games, they're all written for DirectX and/or OpenGL. And the mac OpenGL implementation is pretty poor in terms of game performance.

Metal will not speed up anything currently out there unless the games are patched/re-written for Metal.
[doublepost=1453124878][/doublepost]

It's not just the rebooting. It's the additional disk space, and the fact that i'm installing a copy of Windows at all.

Every time i'd reboot into it (sometimes not for weeks/months), it would want to do a heap of windows updates, steam updates, etc.

Running games in the OS you boot into every day is far more convenient.

It sounds like you don't game enough! :)

I hear you on the updates, but it's pretty infrequent for me since I boot into Windows to game 4-5 times a week. The performance is worth it for sure, even on the games that are on both platforms.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
It sounds like you don't game enough! :)

I hear you on the updates, but it's pretty infrequent for me since I boot into Windows to game 4-5 times a week. The performance is worth it for sure, even on the games that are on both platforms.

I was dual booting windows for the stuff that needed it and making do with the lesser performance than in Windows unless the game really suffered for it. But yes, not gaming as much as I used to.

Also, at the moment, there's no Elite Dangerous Horizons for Mac due to the lack of compute shaders which kinda sucks, so that box is running Windows full time again.

hkoster1

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Temperature may be an issue here. When I'm running my Trainz game in OS X the GPU temperature ramps up to 99C, fan blows at around 1600RPM and the rear of my iMac feels really hot to the touch after a while.
The temperature isn't nearly as high when running exactly the same game (same settings) in BootCamp Windows 10. So, it appears that the Windows drivers for the M395X GPU do a better job.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'm sorry to bump but has macOS been put more on par with windows for games in 2017?

Eh. Open GL/Open CL still suffers due to Apple focusing on Metal, but if your game supports Metal performance is decent and Metal 2 looks to be bringing more capabilities.

linkmon99

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2017
Eh. Open GL/Open CL still suffers due to Apple focusing on Metal, but if your game supports Metal performance is decent and Metal 2 looks to be bringing more capabilities.
Yeah if I'm not mistaken both are on the macOS now but both are outdated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.