Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
hello everyone,

I bought iMac 5k mid 2017 that cannot update to install OS. I got an errors while update the computer,
ssd replaced with new one and I still get errors.
when I try to recover mode it I get also an error that say: "an error occurred loading the update" or it damaged.
I also try to bootable from usb stick the High Sierra that came with the computer, it installed and a while after the installation it stops and show this image:

please help.

Attachments

• IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    529.6 KB · Views: 94

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I bought iMac 5k mid 2017 that cannot update to install OS. I got an errors while update the computer,
ssd replaced with new one and I still get errors.
Some iMac models have quirk which require an Apple drive to be installed for firmware to update. Reinstall original drive, perform macOS install to update firmware, then reinstall upgrade SSD and install macOS again.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
Some iMac models have quirk which require an Apple drive to be installed for firmware to update. Reinstall original drive, perform macOS install to update firmware, then reinstall upgrade SSD and install macOS again.
thanks for answer.
I dont have the original drive, I bought the computer like this.
there is any way to fix it like this?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you have an EXTERNAL USB3 (or USB3.1 gen2) SSD, you could try installing a copy of the OS onto that. It may make the computer bootable.

and...
Fishrrman's "Mac Rule Number 1":
A Mac that boots (to any version of the OS) is preferable to one that won't boot at all.

But Waff is right -- you might need to find and install an Apple OEM SSD inside, update the firmware, and then "upgrade the drive" later on.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
If you have an EXTERNAL USB3 (or USB3.1 gen2) SSD, you could try installing a copy of the OS onto that. It may make the computer bootable.

and...
A Mac that boots (to any version of the OS) is preferable to one that won't boot at all.

But Waff is right -- you might need to find and install an Apple OEM SSD inside, update the firmware, and then "upgrade the drive" later on.
I have mac pro 2009, he is running os 3rd party ssd the mac os, if i will take it out from mac pro as is and install it to my imac pro and then try to install the mac os to the ssd that i took out from the imac via sata to usb.
That can work?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I have mac pro 2009, he is running os 3rd party ssd the mac os, if i will take it out from mac pro as is and install it to my imac pro and then try to install the mac os to the ssd that i took out from the imac via sata to usb.
That can work?
First, your orig post states you have "iMac 5K mid-2017" but just now you say it is "imac pro". Two very different iMac models. Swapping or upgrading iMac Pro storage is a no go... so the answer to your question "That can work?" is NO.

Reactions: CoastalOR

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
First, your orig post states you have "iMac 5K mid-2017" but just now you say it is "imac pro". Two very different iMac models. Swapping or upgrading iMac Pro storage is a no go... so the answer to your question "That can work?" is NO.
The post mentioned the computer I have, I didn’t say iMac Pro, I said Mac Pro, 2009.
Please read correctly

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
That can work?
The post mentioned the computer I have, I didn’t say iMac Pro, I said Mac Pro, 2009.
Please read correctly
Maybe you should read what you posted again.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
I connected external ssd with Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 on it. it runs from usb pefectly on my 5k iMac.
when im trying to install the Mac OS Monterey/ventura also, on the internal ssd it show me the same error.
please help me.

Attachments

• IMG_04312.jpg
    IMG_04312.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 35

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The 2017 iMac that you bought (that has the problem)...

Did the original owner replace the internal drive?
If so, was it an SSD?
If so, do you know who the manufacturer of the SSD is?

WHY I'm asking these questions:

There are some older Macs that have a problem when you try to update the OS.

That problem is:
You MUST have the ORIGINAL FACTORY-INSTALLED drive inside -- or else the install (usually due to a firmware upgrade) will fail.

If the original owner replaced the internal drive with a 3rd-party SSD (this problem appears on SOME 3rd-party drive, not necessarily ALL of them), the firmware won't update and the OS upgrade won't "go through".

The ONLY solution to this problem (that I know of) is to REPLACE the internal SSD with an original Apple-labeled drive.
THEN the firmware will update properly and the OS will install.

AFTER you do this, you could again take out the factory SSD and replace it with a 3rd-party SSD. But only then.

So... what's a practical solution?
(assuming you don't want to go through all that...)

You can either
- run the OS that is currently installed, and let it go at that.
or
- Boot and run from an EXTERNAL USB SSD (with a more recent OS).

I suggest the "external solution", and here's why:
The 2017 iMac has USB3.1 gen2.
This will yield a read speed of over 900MBps with a decent SSD.
That's not as fast as an internal SSD would be -- but it still is "pretty good" and it solves your problems with the 3rd party SSD inside.

I'd suggest a Crucial x9 -- small, priced right, fast.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
The 2017 iMac that you bought (that has the problem)...

Did the original owner replace the internal drive?
If so, was it an SSD?
If so, do you know who the manufacturer of the SSD is?

WHY I'm asking these questions:

There are some older Macs that have a problem when you try to update the OS.

That problem is:
You MUST have the ORIGINAL FACTORY-INSTALLED drive inside -- or else the install (usually due to a firmware upgrade) will fail.

If the original owner replaced the internal drive with a 3rd-party SSD (this problem appears on SOME 3rd-party drive, not necessarily ALL of them), the firmware won't update and the OS upgrade won't "go through".

The ONLY solution to this problem (that I know of) is to REPLACE the internal SSD with an original Apple-labeled drive.
THEN the firmware will update properly and the OS will install.

AFTER you do this, you could again take out the factory SSD and replace it with a 3rd-party SSD. But only then.

So... what's a practical solution?
(assuming you don't want to go through all that...)

You can either
- run the OS that is currently installed, and let it go at that.
or
- Boot and run from an EXTERNAL USB SSD (with a more recent OS).

I suggest the "external solution", and here's why:
The 2017 iMac has USB3.1 gen2.
This will yield a read speed of over 900MBps with a decent SSD.
That's not as fast as an internal SSD would be -- but it still is "pretty good" and it solves your problems with the 3rd party SSD inside.

I'd suggest a Crucial x9 -- small, priced right, fast.
can I use older hard drive on my iMac 5k 2017?
I have apple oem 2009 hdd from my old Mac Pro.
is it possible to use it to fix my problem?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you have the ORIGINAL Apple-labeled drive that was installed in that iMac, you can use that.

The one from the Mac Pro?
In an external case?
That MIGHT work, if the version of the OS will support the iMac.
Hmm....
Is it a platter-based hard drive?
You DON'T want to use that. TOO SLOW.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
again.
I have older Mac Pro from 2009 that have original hdd in it.
can I fix my iMac firmware with this Mac Pro hdd ?
can I fix it with this Mac Pro hdd, than upgrade to my ssd so the iMac dont give an error every time?
im not going to use this hdd forever, I want to use it only to fix the iMac problem that require oem apple hdd

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As far as I know, the ONLY WAY you can "fix" the problem with being unable to update the OS in the iMac is in my post above.

I don't think the Mac Pro drive is going to do it.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
As far as I know, the ONLY WAY you can "fix" the problem with being unable to update the OS in the iMac is in my post above.

I don't think the Mac Pro drive is going to do it.
I got the original iMac 1tb hdd. installed it back into the iMac sata connection.
I still have the same problem. "An error occurred loading the update."
please help. I tried install Ventura. and Monterey.
non of them work.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

At this point, I think you should just accept ANY VERSION of the OS that will boot and run the problem iMac. Whatever runs, looks like you're just going to have to use that, for now.

Another thought:
Have you considered buying an EXTERNAL USB3.1 gen2 SSD, connecting that to one of the USBc ports on the back, and installing an OS onto that?

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
OP:

At this point, I think you should just accept ANY VERSION of the OS that will boot and run the problem iMac. Whatever runs, looks like you're just going to have to use that, for now.

Another thought:
Have you considered buying an EXTERNAL USB3.1 gen2 SSD, connecting that to one of the USBc ports on the back, and installing an OS onto that?
There is no solution for this error?
Im sure there is a way to fix it. I dont want my imac to run from an external usb c port.
Help? Ayone?🙏

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
A 2017 5K iMac when new had either a Fusion Drive (HD+Apple NVMe SSD blade) or an Apple NVMe SSD blade on its own.

So if you get a ‘Firmware Upgrade’ error, it is an Apple ORIGINAL NVMe SSD that has to fitted to get the firmware upgraded.
A SATA drive isn’t the original boot drive.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
A 2017 5K iMac when new had either a Fusion Drive (HD+Apple NVMe SSD blade) or an Apple NVMe SSD blade on its own.

So if you get a ‘Firmware Upgrade’ error it is an Apple ORIGINAL NVMe SSD that has to fitted to get the firmware upgraded.
I didnt got you.
Please explain what should i do?

There is 32gg nvme ssd + 1tb sata hdd
in the imac 5k 2017.
What should i do to get it working?

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
I didn’t realise you had the original Fusion Drive, or is it split into two volumes?
If it’s split are you trying to install Monterey onto the 32GB NVMe SSD?
That may allow the firmware to be updated.

Last edited:

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
I didn’t realise you had the original Fusion Drive, or is it split into two volumes?
If it’s split are you trying to install Monterey onto the 32GB NVMe SSD?
That may allow the firmware to be updated.
when I go into recovery mode I see 2 drives into the iMac.

1 is the original apple 1tb hdd
2 is 32gb nvme ssd installed also in the motherboard.

im trying installing Ventura on it and no success at all.
I erased the both to be clean for the Mac OS X Ventura/Monterey installation and still no luck, same error
what should I do?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You are getting nowhere, and I predict that you'll KEEP "going nowhere" until you take the advice we give you.

Do you have an EXTERNAL drive around?
Either an SSD or a USB drive?

It's going to be erased, so get anything off of it that you want to save.

Power the iMac down, completely off.

Connect the external drive.

Now, HOLD DOWN the Command, OPTION, and R keys.
DO NOT LET THEM GO, KEEP HOLDING THEM DOWN.

Press the power on button
KEEP HOLDING THOSE KEYS DOWN.

If you are connecting to the net via wifi, take your hands off the keys when you're asked for the wifi password. Enter it.

If you are connecting via ethernet, you can let the keys go when you see the Mac tell you it's loading the internet utilities (or you see the spinning globe).

The internet utilities take a while to load, be patient.

When they're loaded, open disk utility.
Go to the view menu and choose "Show all devices".

Look at the list on the left.
Identify the EXTERNAL USB drive.

Click on the external USB drive to select it.
Now click "erase".
Erase to APFS, GUID partition format.

When that's done, quit disk utility and open the OS installer.
ACCEPT WHATEVER VERSION OF THE OS IS OFFERED TO YOU.
The most important thing right now is to get the Mac to boot to the finder.

Start clicking through. The Mac will reboot several times, and the screen will go dark for a minute or more with no other indication of activity. Just be patient.

When done, you should see the initial setup screen (choose your language).
Start clicking through.
Create an account, but I wouldn't worry about setting anything else up right now.

Can you get this far?
Can you get the Mac booted, even with an external boot drive?

Again, I'm going to say it:
A Mac that boots is better than one that doesn't.
and
A Mac that boots from an external drive, is better than one that won't boot from the internal drives.

Once you have a Mac that is bootable to the finder, THEN you can start working on the other issues, like the internal fusion drive, firmware, etc.

Having said all this, not sure how creating an external boot drive affects firmware. Seems to me when I've done it, the firmware gets updated anyway.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would definely try to reset the fusion drive. Go to this Apple support page, and follow the steps under
"Use Terminal to create a Fusion Drive again"
That will completely erase both internal drives, and restore both the SATA drive AND the internal blade drive to a fusion drive. When that is complete, you can choose to reinstall macOS (whatever system is offered)
With those steps you SHOULD be offered Ventura, if that was the highest version that had previously been installed.

When the install is complete, you can set up a new user.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Have run Disk First Aid on the original 32GB NVMe SSD, and the HD?
Worth checking they’re OK before continuing.

Reactions: DeltaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.