Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdthe4th

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys, I've been scouring the web looking for ways to connect my iMac to my Mac Pro to use the iMac screen as a second display. The only catch is I still want to run the iMac as as stand alone computer.

I'm figuring there's software out there to do this....just can't find anything

I should mention that the two are already connected via LAN for music production and I need to be able to access the iMac occasionally - so to be able to swap between iMac OS and iMac as second display is the objective.

Thanks.
- John.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I heard good things about this software: https://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

You could also use any remote desktop app and connect from your iMac to your Mac Pro.

I used to use ScreenRecycler but unfortunately it doesn't work on anything later than OSX 10.10 (and that's on the Mac that you're working on, not just the one working as a display). Apart from that, its a bit laggy and artifact-y, depending on your network connection but was fine for an extra display to hold documentation, command palettes etc.

I don't know if its "abandonware" or if something changed in 10.11 to fundamentally break it.

The problem with "remote desktop" applications is that they only tend to "mirror" the display connected to the machine (and its resolution)

Reactions: Chuckeee

jdthe4th

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I used to use ScreenRecycler but unfortunately it doesn't work on anything later than OSX 10.10 (and that's on the Mac that you're working on, not just the one working as a display). Apart from that, its a bit laggy and artifact-y, depending on your network connection but was fine for an extra display to hold documentation, command palettes etc.

I don't know if its "abandonware" or if something changed in 10.11 to fundamentally break it.

The problem with "remote desktop" applications is that they only tend to "mirror" the display connected to the machine (and its resolution)

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017

Good to know, I never used it myself and wasn't aware that it stopped working.

Ah yes, I reread OP's question and realized they already have a monitor on the Mac Pro. You're right then, it wouldn't work as a secondary screen. It could work to have both the iMac and the Mac Pro on the iMac screen.

jdthe4th

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
thanks guys. I'll have a look now at the air display app. Cheers.

target switching? I'll google that - I thought you had to reboot. I'm wanting to run OS independently of what the screen is doing?
[doublepost=1518326709][/doublepost]
An iMac used as a target display can still be used. To switch back and forth, just press CMD-F2.

AAAH HAHAHAHA!!
Awesome! Works like a charm. I thought it should be as easy as that. Nice one Apple!

Thanks EugW !!

Reactions: Glmnet1

Bertu

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2019
thanks guys. I'll have a look now at the air display app. Cheers.

target switching? I'll google that - I thought you had to reboot. I'm wanting to run OS independently of what the screen is doing?
[doublepost=1518326709][/doublepost]

AAAH HAHAHAHA!!
Awesome! Works like a charm. I thought it should be as easy as that. Nice one Apple!

Thanks EugW !!

hi john. can you tell me how you solved this problem? I own an imac 21inch from 2017 and a macbook pro from 2017.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.