Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jrshelby

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Doing my best to hold out. I really hope Apple just does a speed bumps and NOT redesign yet and not do the T2 chip if they are problematic. I think it stinks the length of time between updates. Hopefully Black Friday will see a discount then I’ll just upgrade to the i7 27”. Either way here is a list of all my Macs going back some years. Notice how regular the need was to upgrade cause processors actually almost doubled in speed back then. Now performance gains can come from other places like SSDs. Obviously Apple has ignored the Pro market and now the mid market due to not bumping specs on regular timeframes. So confusing.

PowerMac 7300/180 1997

iMac 1998

iBook Blue 1999

iBook orange 1999

PowerMac G3 1999

PowerMac G4 1999

PowerBook G3 FireWire 2000

iMac DV SE 2000

PowerMac G4 Cube 2000

PowerBook G4 Ti 2001

PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 2001

PowerBook G4 17” 2003

PowerMac G5 2003

Titanium PowerBook G4 2001

Mac Mini 2005

iMac G5 17” 2005

iMac 24” 2006

Mac Pro 2006

MacBook Pro 17” 2011

iMac 27” late 2012

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
These threads are getting tedious. All is speculation. Nobody has any definitive idea what Apple will do with the iMac line or when.

If the person in need of a new computer can’t wait, they should by an iMac or a Mac Mini NOW! It’s simple.

It seems the current iMacs are available with SSD drives.

I purchased a new iMac 27 (2017) with 512 GB SSD at the end of July. No regrets at all

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
Curious. Do you have facts to go with this? Links to actual reports would be nice.

I'm serious. If true, I need to rethink a possible purchase.
I can offer my experience with a 2018 13" MBP. which has a GPU slightly faster than the Mac Mini. At full res or at x2 performance it was ok but trying to scale a 4k screen at 1.5x was painful. Opening the lauchpad resulted in visible stutter. Some applications that require just a little bit more out of the GPU were running slowly (photography apps and simple Java based apps in my case).

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I hope that when they release the iMacs they include the 9th-gen Intel processors that have been available since Oct 1st and not the 8th gen, which are more than a year old.

They’d better pass from the 2017 iMac with 7th-gen to the 2018 iMac with 9th-gen, and I hope they’ll release them soon. If they wait until June 2019, it will happen like in 2017: the current gen Intel processors would have been available for many months and in a month or two a new gen will be released.

I think you will be waiting a while for that. It sounds like Intel is releasing chips, but not in quantities large enough for someone like Apple to spec. The speculation for the delays with the mini, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air seemed to center on Intel's ability to ship a large enough quantity of 8th-gen chips. I assume 9th-gen won't be any different. Intel is really struggling the last few years to put out meaningful updates on time and in quantity.

androo4519

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
[QUOTE="I'm kinda looking at it this way:
- iMac Pro was released as a sort of "stopgap" "Pro" model, until the -real- modular Mac Pro gets released (again, probably in the first half of 2019).".
[/QUOTE]

I think there's a fair chance the iMac Pro will bite the dust when the Mac Pro is launched. A realigned iMac range could also make it obsolete if they add the Pro's cooling and eight core options. And especially if they redesign the case and offer, say, 24/30" screen size options. Unless of course they have the small screen size as the iMac and the larger as the iMac Pro. That might work if they want to continue the marketing nonsense.

I don't really care as long as they actually do something this year so I can give them this wad of money I've had earmarked for years while they procrastinate and mess around with battery cases for iPhones and other nonsense. I'm looking forward to it not taking six seconds to zoom 100% into a photo in Lightroom...

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
These threads are getting tedious. All is speculation. Nobody has any definitive idea what Apple will do with the iMac line or when.

If the person in need of a new computer can’t wait, they should by an iMac or a Mac Mini NOW! It’s simple.

It seems the current iMacs are available with SSD drives.

I purchased a new iMac 27 (2017) with 512 GB SSD at the end of July. No regrets at all

I did also. From the refurb store in Nov 2018, the 3.8 GHz, i5, Radeon Pro 580, 2Tb Fusion, 8Gb ram, then added another 32 Gb, because, my 9,1 iMac was blacklisted.

My thinking is the 2019 release will be at least 2nd qtr, most likely 3rd qtr. By then 9th generation will be plenty . I'll get a year out of this new one and if the new iMac is all that, I'll just sell this and buy the 2019. I'll consider it a lease cost, because the resale value should be pretty good, considering many waited too long, and don't want an iMac with no ram upgradability, and a T3 chip. I'll spend a good chunk of change for the 2019, but I'll keep it till I'm 74 years old. By then I most likely won't need all that horsepower. I've kept each Mac for 10 years, and hope this will be my last big iMac purchase. Lol, I even got 10 years out of my G4 QuickSilver. If the 2019 isn't all that, I already got a great deal on a proven reliable workhorse, and I win either way.

Many of you are sitting there unhappy and wanting, disappointed in Apple. It's your life and your happiness, and you're responsible for it. Why don't people consider how valuable the quality of their time is? It is by far the most valuable thing we have, so make yourself happy now, because you're not bringing a U-haul to your funeral. Ask yourself, how much is my personal happiness worth? Simple question really.

Marty80

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I am not that really fussed about when a new redesigned Imac will appear, my late 2013 27” is still working like a dream. Also I do not forget Apples premium price tag, which makes things more ugly these days.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.