Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rico7578

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
Same use of Lightroom and I just go for the i5 3.5 GHz/Radeon 575/512 SSD.
+5 or 10% in perfs means only few seconds less in Lightroom exports for example, the price and heat/noise differences does not justify these few seconds less for me :)
And I'm pretty sure that ,for Lightroom usage, internal SSD will mean more confort in real use than i7 or i5/Radeon 580 (Lightroom is not very optimised for multicores, more than 4 cores is useless, it only takes advantage from more Ghz and a dedicated graphic card)

Reactions: Wuiffi

Huginnmuninn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Same use of Lightroom and I just go for the i5 3.5 GHz/Radeon 575/512 SSD.
+5 or 10% in perfs means only few seconds less in Lightroom exports for example, the price and heat/noise differences does not justify these few seconds less for me :)
And I'm pretty sure that ,for Lightroom usage, internal SSD will mean more confort in real use than i7 or i5/Radeon 580 (Lightroom is not very optimised for multicores, more than 4 cores is useless, it only takes advantage from more Ghz and a dedicated graphic card)

That's the same setup I'm homing in on, with the base RAM plus 32Gb RAM from Crucial or OWC for another $300.

kingdavidd

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
for stitching multiple raw files to gigapixel territory... would the 3.8 i5 suffice, or would you guys suggest to go with the i7?
(already decided on getting the 1TB SSD and upgrading memory via OWC to 32)

Huginnmuninn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
PTgui says in their FAQ http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_17 "Processor: PTGui is multi threaded so it will run faster on processors having more cores. But with GPU acceleration enabled, disk speed usually becomes the bottleneck so money is better spent on SSD and RAM."

Cross-platform app Autopano Giga claims to take advantage of hyperthreading (which is only available on the i7, not the i5) but they don't compare stitching times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.