Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micahgartman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX, USA
Hello, my friends! I have a first-gen 15-inch iMac G4 that needs a new home. Would you like to adopt it? If you are in Houston, TX and willing to meet me near my house (which is on the west side in the Energy Corridor) it is yours. No money needs to exchange hands—although I ask that you not re-sell it. It currently boots into OS9 and includes the goofy Mickey Mouse power cable and the Harmon Kardon speakers. The serial number is QT2166KULF4 and has an 800MHz G4 and 768MB RAM.

IMG_8207.jpeg

IMG_8208.jpeg

Last edited:

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
I'm a biiiiit far from Houston more like on a whole different coast but I hope you find a great forever home for this classic icon.

Reactions: micahgartman

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
The person I got my Cube incl mouse, keyboard, spakers and screen from for free (even though she didnt meet me before and is 40 yrs older than me) also asked me not to sell it but I cant imagine what Ive had done the last one and a half year if I sold it instead of making it to my hobby. I would have died of boredom for sure.
I dont want to go off topic here, but is the Lamp or the Cube more iconic?

Last edited:

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
The person I got my Cube incl mouse, keyboard, spakers and screen from for free (even though she didnt meet me before and is 40 yrs older than me) also asked me not to sell it but I cant imagine what Ive had done the last one and a half year if I sold it instead of making it to my hobby. I would have died of boredom for sure.
I think both are iconic to different people. Both of those models are from a time where IMO Apple was very aggressive in their design and A-typical to the homogeny we have today. I mean how different can the imacg4 and a literal box be in design concept yet both equally amazing in how they accomplish what it is that they are. Having been a young adult during that time and seeing what the typical PC offerings were, these designs were stunning and 100% unique to the PC landscape, so really I consider them both iconic in their own spaces ie: AIO vs desktop.

I hope Micah finds a home for that cute imacg4. I’d give it a home but I already have three. Really I should be doing the same with a few of mine as well. :apple:

Last edited:
  • Love

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Damn shame I can’t drive down to Houston (in GA). I would love to add this next to my G3 and early Intel iMac!

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
'Lamp' (iMac G4) or G4 Cube? Well they're both iconic and I have both.
I far prefer using the iMac, I reckon it looks stunning, and once one gets familiar with the internal layout I've found that it's more fun to work on, especially installing an SSD.
In fact I've been planning installing an SSD into the Cube for ages but never got around to it. Both my iMac G4 17" and 20" models keep me more than happy.
Fwiw, I've never liked referring to the G4 iMac as the 'Lamp' simply because those which have been converted into lamps have been butchered which is a crying shame. Imho it's far more worthwhile retaining or selling off non-functioning iMacs for spares as they are becoming increasingly more difficult to find, and the 'Pros' out there are demanding crazy prices for some of the components.
I like the name 'Sunflower' which many still call the iMac G4, even here in France it's frequently called le 'Tournesol'. The story goes that Steve Jobs saw some Sunflowers and remarked later in the day that the heads had turned through 180degrees which gave him the idea of a revolutionary computer. 'Make it like a sunflower'.

Last edited:

micahgartman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX, USA
'Lamp' (iMac G4) or G4 Cube? Well they're both iconic and I have both.
I far prefer using the iMac, I reckon it looks stunning, and once one gets familiar with the internal layout I've found that it's more fun to work on, especially installing an SSD.
In fact I've been planning installing an SSD into the Cube for ages but never got around to it. Both my iMac G4 17" and 20" models keep me more than happy.
Fwiw, I've never liked referring to the G4 iMac as the 'Lamp' simply because those which have been converted into lamps have been butchered which is a crying shame. Imho it's far more worthwhile retaining or selling off non-functioning iMacs for spares as they are becoming increasingly more difficult to find, and the 'Pros' out there are demanding crazy prices for some of the components.
I like the name 'Sunflower' which many still call the iMac G4, even here in France it's frequently called le 'Tournesol'. The story goes that Steve Jobs saw some Sunflowers and remarked later in the day that the heads had turned through 180degrees which gave him the idea of a revolutionary computer. 'Make it like a sunflower'.

• Haha
Reactions: EmilioCube
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.