Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Glad to hear it made a difference of you. I'm going to place an order tonight. I'm learning towards one of these two:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SBZ8YH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct500mx500ssd1

I've always heard good things about Crucial... at least in terms of RAM, not sure what their reputation for SSD is. Price is pretty close together... and specs seem pretty similar. If you know of a better option, please let me know!
Thanks for the heads up on the amount of RAM it can take.... as you mentioned, i'm not there yet on thinking i need it, but maybe some day. For now i think i'll do the SSD and then reevaluate later if i think i need it.

Crucial ssd’s are my choice they are superb and have no known issues in macs.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
You almost can't go wrong with modern SSD's. I don't pretend that they are all the same, because they aren't; but as long as you are buying a recent design (say, from the last 2-3 years), all of the SSD's sold by reputable dealers (Newegg, Tiger Direct, etc etc) are good quality. The differences among SATA SSD's are generally of the form "if they would matter to you, you wouldn't be asking about it" -- i.e. relatively minor variations in endurance ratings, specific use cases, and so on. And that is especially true if you're running an older iMac that has a SATA 2 controller rather than SATA 3.

Crucial is fine; WD is fine; Toshiba, Mushkin, Adata, Samsung, SanDisk are all good, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few quality names.

Replacing a spinner with SSD is not quite a miracle cure, but it's darn close. :)

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
You almost can't go wrong with modern SSD's. I don't pretend that they are all the same, because they aren't; but as long as you are buying a recent design (say, from the last 2-3 years), all of the SSD's sold by reputable dealers (Newegg, Tiger Direct, etc etc) are good quality. The differences among SATA SSD's are generally of the form "if they would matter to you, you wouldn't be asking about it" -- i.e. relatively minor variations in endurance ratings, specific use cases, and so on. And that is especially true if you're running an older iMac that has a SATA 2 controller rather than SATA 3.

Crucial is fine; WD is fine; Toshiba, Mushkin, Adata, Samsung, SanDisk are all good, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few quality names.

Replacing a spinner with SSD is not quite a miracle cure, but it's darn close. :)

I ended up ordering the Crucial (and a tray). I assume the controller cable that i will unplug from the optical drive im removing will then connect to the ssd drive?

Gintoki-kun

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
I think it's 32 Gb front-side SSD now. Agree that it's not the perfect config but it should be much better than all-HDD. Good outcome I think. (And, if your friend becomes seriously irritated with the HDD, he can always open it up and install an SSD himself, when the time is right. It's not simple but it's doable.)

PS I still think he should open up his MBP and blow out all dust etc. with luck he'll end up with two very nice computers.

yeah. I mena, its not perfect and he needed a better computer ASAP and the deal (money-wise) was a no brainer. I was emphasising the SSD so when time comes to it I will do it for him. Just need to get the kit from OCW. Shame its not as easy as the ones on previous MBPs.

He did open it, blowed it, clean with a new silky cloth and says the computer get less hot now. Although I assume he will see a change in that since he will start using his iMac as him main computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.