Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanXM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
Furthermore the Apple Genius had no idea what they were talking about as the reflective coating is on the inside of the display so you are in no way to blame.

If the coating were on the inside, how then did the coating get "wiped" away when he was wiping on the outside of the glass? The coating is most assuredly on the outside. The inside of the glass and the LCD itself also have coatings, but so does the outside of the glass.

Reactions: Ifti

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
This is precisely the reason why I resent Apple Technical Support of modern day. Yes I am very happy with my 21.5" 2015 4k iMac but know it would cost a small fortune to repair should it go wrong as I did not take out Apple Care.
Apple Technical Support is a sham. Furthermore the Apple Genius had no idea what they were talking about as the reflective coating is on the inside of the display so you are in no way to blame.

By pointing out that the anti-reflective coating is on the inside of the display, not the surface of the display, only strengthens the conclusion that there was something on the screen and was scratched by using the cloth.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
This is precisely the reason why I resent Apple Technical Support of modern day. Yes I am very happy with my 21.5" 2015 4k iMac but know it would cost a small fortune to repair should it go wrong as I did not take out Apple Care.
Apple Technical Support is a sham. Furthermore the Apple Genius had no idea what they were talking about as the reflective coating is on the inside of the display so you are in no way to blame.

It’s anti-reflective coating, and it definitely goes on the outside. Thats where the reflections are.

DanMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Looking over the posts, it seems you wiped the screen with a dry cloth (and a dry monitor), I suspect that with debris on the screen or on the cloth was the cause. I never wipe my screen dry for fear of damaging it.[/QUOTE]

I wiped that part of the screen because I had noticed a speck when the screen was switched off. I used a brand new apple cloth which was dry. I applied
You’re angry b/c you’re getting a free screen replacement? I don’t get it.

No, because they shifted the blame on me... I would say more disappointed with Apple than angry.

[doublepost=1525330162][/doublepost]
By pointing out that the anti-reflective coating is on the inside of the display, not the surface of the display, only strengthens the conclusion that there was something on the screen and was scratched by using the cloth.

I have used Apple device for over 15 years. My due diligence in keeping screens clean has always been the same and never had I experienced any issues like that. It was a gentle wipe resulting in an instant 'smudge'.

Apart from the aforementioned mark the screen was clean. I could only see the mark whilst the screen was off. I had always had my iMac turned on ready to go. I would hit the keyboard/touchpad, sit down and the screen was on. That's why I never paid attention to what was on the screen when it was off.
[doublepost=1525330926][/doublepost]
As per posts 1 & 11 from the OP, the cloth was the Apple supplied cleaning cloth. No mention of liquid.

Just the soft cloth, no liquid.

Last edited:

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Good luck getting them to do anything other than blame you for it. You will have to prove you didn't use the wrong cloth or some cleaning fluid.

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
If the coating were on the inside, how then did the coating get "wiped" away when he was wiping on the outside of the glass? The coating is most assuredly on the outside. The inside of the glass and the LCD itself also have coatings, but so does the outside of the glass.
I stand corrected thank you for pointing that out.

DanMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
I picked up my iMac Pro from the Apple Store a week ago and upon unboxing it I noticed that Apple techs damaged the chassis in 2 spots... 2 scratches on the iMac stand and a dent on the iMac's chin. The iMac saga continues... :apple::mad:

IMG_0744.jpg
IMG_0746.jpg

gerrard0804

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
I picked up my iMac Pro from the Apple Store a week ago and upon unboxing it I noticed that Apple techs damaged the chassis in 2 spots... 2 scratches on the iMac stand and a dent on the iMac's chin. The iMac saga continues... :apple::mad:

View attachment 761870 View attachment 761871
can complain? though could be inevitable, people spending such amount of $$ are expecting better service and quality including outlook ..

RyanXM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX

Is this a base model? If so, I'd be asking for a new one out of the box with AppleCare+ as a replacement. I wouldn't accept anything else as a valid solution.

DanMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Is this a base model? If so, I'd be asking for a new one out of the box with AppleCare+ as a replacement. I wouldn't accept anything else as a valid solution.

Custom build. Apple Store Online is now handling this case and will be resolving it for me ;)

Reactions: RyanXM

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
you should sold this iMac Pro and recover the money, too much risk in further usage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.