Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
So is your iMac also louder after a few months of use? Mine is unfortunately in my bedroom, and although I dust and vacuum frequently, I suspect there's still (potentially) too much dust floating around. Probably due to the bedding and covers and such.

iStats says the temperatures are great, and the fans are at max 1100rpm, but there is still this constant sound of them working, which wasn't there when I got it.

It bother me, because I use it for home studio purposes and recording. Should I just buy the ifixit kit and open it up to clean it? Or is it too soon to do that?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
imac pro? 2 years and I can not rememebr the last time the fan came on, even under heavy load.

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
You can't hear them at all? Mine are constantly at 1100rpm.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
No fan noise at all. I'm not doing any rendering, just intensive audio production, a lot of data i/o, and random multitasking and TB external drives, etc.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Have you restarted your iMac Pro? Run any standard maintenance tasks? I'd also try putting a large box fan behind the iMac Pro and turn it on high to see if the fans respond by winding down with the increased airflow/heat dissipation that should result. If it does, then I'd conclude that it must be a dust issue inside the case that's keeping it from achieving max air circulation.

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Restarted? Yeah, it’s been like this for at least 2 months now. I guess it’s filled with dust somehow, and I guess I’ll have to open it up and clean it... Sigh..

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Restarted? Yeah, it’s been like this for at least 2 months now. I guess it’s filled with dust somehow, and I guess I’ll have to open it up and clean it... Sigh..

Lots of people (like myself) keep our desktop Macs running 24/7, so I thought it was a pertinent question to ask, as often restarting the computer rectifies many odd issues.

dapa0s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Yeah, I get it, and I probably would keep it on, if it wasn't in my bedroom. Since I constantly move around the covers while I sleep, I just turn it off then. I guess dust flies around from the covers, and that's why it's dusty. I still dust and vacuum and air out the covers a lot, but it's probably not enough. OH WELL...

I mean, it's a very quiet noise coming from the iMac Pro but it still bugs me!

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, I get it, and I probably would keep it on, if it wasn't in my bedroom. Since I constantly move around the covers while I sleep, I just turn it off then. I guess dust flies around from the covers, and that's why it's dusty. I still dust and vacuum and air out the covers a lot, but it's probably not enough. OH WELL...

I mean, it's a very quiet noise coming from the iMac Pro but it still bugs me!

I'd suggest just getting a cheap pillowcase to cover it during the night while it's off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.