Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobertPI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
Germany
I am having communication issues between my iMAC (macOS Monterey v.12.1) and my Samsung printer. The generic driver provided by mac does not recognize that my printer can print in color, send a fax or scan a document. The printer is fresh out of the box, even though it is a 2012 model. I just bought all four cartridges from it. Is there any solution for this problem? Please, help me.
my printer.jpeg

my mac.png

app printer.png

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Your Samsung printer model is not even listed on the Samsung website for downloading drivers and support software. It's very likely Samsung no longer supports that printer. That is from the US site.

You need to check the Samsung website for drivers where you are located. I'm assuming you're not in the US. In any event, the printer might be new but it's a 10 year old model.

Reactions: RobertPI

eugenios

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2017
Italy
I had the same issue with a Samsung CLP-365.
I solved it by installing High Sierra on a VMWare fusion VM, connecting the printer and let the OS installing the drivers.
Then I downloaded and installed the last version of Samsung printer drivers (from HP web site support) compatible with Monterey.
I figured out which files and folders needed to be copied from High Sierra to Monterey in /Library/Printers/ to enable CLP-365 drivers

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The only macOS thing downloadable from the HP site for that printer is a wireless setup app that is apparently 32bit and won't run in Monterey. Samsung/HP hasn't created a 64bit driver for it, apparently.

That is also the case for the eugenios' CLP-365. His method could work and might be easier if you had access to a Mac running or compatible with Mojave or High Sierra.

RobertPI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
Germany
Thank you all for responding.

chscag

Yes, you are partially right. I am in Germany. I have tried the US, UK, Germany and Korea site too, and no, it does not appear on the list. If a printer is an old model, should I throw it away? The iMAC that my little boy uses now, I bought it in the US in 2007 and it works perfectly. My policy is not to throw old things in the trash, unless there is no other choice. I am not rich. For that reason I buy only MACs, I look for quality, but also durability. Thanks for trying to help me.

eugenios

Yes, I could try to do it. The iMAC of my litte boy has High Sierra. The limitation I have is that I am not a computer scientist nor do I have a related specialty. I know something, I am quite skilled, but I have to clarify that my iMAC is my work tool, no more than that. So, my question is: How would I know which folders to copy from High Sierra to Monterey?

BrianBaughn

I have understood you. I have no idea why Samsung gave up their printers to HP. I will never buy from a Samsung or HP printer again. The first for leaving millions of customers hanging and the second for being unable to offer me a solution to potential customers. However, I always have hopes for the apple, that's why I came here. Thank you.

eugenios

I have tried your link. I had high hopes, but these were dashed. (1) The download and installation worked, but was not effective. If you look at the image you will notice the problem immediately. (2) I never got a window like the one that appears in your image (the one that allows me to select the type of printer). (3) The printer continues to work as if it cannot print colors, scan or send a Fax (Communication is not correct). In any case, thank you very much. I hope that somehow this problem reaches MAC and makes happy all those customers that Samsung shook like dust from the road.

Attachments

• instalation.png
    instalation.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 250

eugenios

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2017
Italy
The installer by itself downloads and try to install all the suite from Samsung.
Since it's not updated for Monterey most of the apps are 32bit and could not run.
The drivers instead are descriptive files of Printer characteristics and settings interpreted by the printer system.
In my case I found inside /Library/Printers the following folders in which the printer system looks inside once you try to install a new printer.

Attachments

• Unsaved Preview Document 2.png
    Unsaved Preview Document 2.png
    763.5 KB · Views: 292

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
My Samsung M2070W laser printer just stopped working. One day ok, next day nothing. No installs made. What happened? The printer still works wirelessly with our iPads an iPhones but not with our 2018 Mac mini (Intel).
Strangest thing I think I have ever seen. Went to the HP web site and got the latest driver but they don’t work.
Anyone ween anything like this?

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I have used my Samsung Express M2070W with USB quite a while with my old iMac. I know that it was wireless issues came at some point. But don’t use it much in all times.
Before that I recall the Wi-Fi was working just fine. But as I traded the iMac in when I ordered my Mac Studio and Studio Display recently no Samsung printer working wirelessly now.
I have tried to get it find a network and to get it work but I stopped trying when I found out that this is a really common issue. See, if I find some energy to do a new try when my new Mac Studio comes. Which I can have it plugged into all the time otherwise.
My MBA don’t like the fu%#ing printer or the PC-ish drivers. But I guess I have to plug it in when I need to use it for now. It have been a really good printer to a affordable price though.

Sad that Apple don’t do any Printers these days. I loved the Apple one I had before this. This has been was good when Samsung provided the service though.

Last edited:

fansntt

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
The installer by itself downloads and try to install all the suite from Samsung.
Since it's not updated for Monterey most of the apps are 32bit and could not run.
The drivers instead are descriptive files of Printer characteristics and settings interpreted by the printer system.
In my case I found inside /Library/Printers the following folders in which the printer system looks inside once you try to install a new printer.
This worked like a charm. If anyone needs the files for a Samsung ML-2510 let me know and we can find a way to transfer them over.

flawless11

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
This worked like a charm. If anyone needs the files for a Samsung ML-2510 let me know and we can find a way to transfer them over.

I desperately need ML-2510 drivers to work on Ventura. I've tried everything. I'd be thankful for the assist!

Idem here with MacOS Monterey and a Samsung ML-1610, tried to install the Samsung Printer Software Installer but failes to connect to the web server everytime it tries to detect the printer.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Jon Stearn

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2024
I got a Samsung ML-2545 by following eugenious instructions above.

I had my old MacOS install available.

In /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources, i copied the Samsung ML-2540 Series.gz - unzipped this file and looked at the Samsung ML-2540 Series document to determine all the files needed from the old OS install - ended up copying the folders below
In /Library/Printers/Samsung, I copied the Filters, SCMS, ML-2240 and ML-2245 folders.

When adding the printer, I had to "repair" the driver. It didn't work the first time. I may have been missing a folder.

viking1234

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
I'm having trouble using my Samsung CLX-3305 with my MacBook Pro from 2015. I'm currently using OS Monterey, 12.7.4.
Any ideas how I can get the printer to work with my MacBook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.