Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ngocnguyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
If you send pics from your camera roll to email (your own or anyone elses)...the pictures will show up rotated either 90 or 180 deg.

My co-worker's images are rotated 180.

Mine are rotated counter clockwise 90 degree.

Videos appear the same depending on orientation filmed.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Google search this. There is a 1000 page long discussion on Apple discussion forum. I've been dealing with this since iOS 5.

Btw I have no idea why. If I email my gmail or iCloud on my or my work PC it does it, sometimes. However when I tried to show I friend on his PC it was fine every time. I eventually said F it and tell people to just rotate the image to their liking lol.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Your iOS device has a sensor that knows how the camera is being oriented when you take a photo.

Internally, the image produced by the camera is not rotated to take account of this. Instead, some hidden information is added to the JPEG file that describes the orientation of the camera at the time the photo was taken.

Subsequently, when you view such an image file on an Apple device, it is able to use that information to figure out how it needs to rotate the image in order to display it 'correctly'. So, no matter which way up you hold your iPhone camera when you take a picture, or which way up you hold your iPhone when you view your pictures, they will always look the right way up.

Note that the hidden rotation information in the image file is not accessible to Windows users (Windows is blind to that information). It's a bit like me sending you a pack of physical photos in an envelope. On the back of each one it will say "this way up" or "upside down" with an arrow. If you lay them out face down, you will be able to orient them correctly and, when you turn them over, they will appear the right way round. But on a Windows device, you can't see the writing, so you are stuffed.

The e-mail client on OS X has a workaround for this: when you attach photos to an e-mail, you have the option of sending the photos in a Windows-friendly format. When you select this option, OS X will physically rotate the pixels in the original image, and remove the hidden rotation information. So, the image that you send is actually a different non-rotated image.

For the sake of simplicity, this option does not appear to be there in iOS.

By the way, for reasons that I won't go into here, Apple's way of defining images is technically superior to that used by Windows. It's a pity that Windows is blind to Apple's rotation data - MS could read and use it if they wanted to, but they don't.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Pictures taken portrait will always be rotated 90 degrees. Sucks.

If you want a landscape picture to be properly oriented, you have to take it with the volume keys facing DOWN. This makes no sense because they advertise using the volume key as a shutter release. Duh. Who would hold the camera with the volume keys down to take a picture if you were going to press that button to take it??

There is really no excuse for this not to be fixed yet. None whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.