Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yeah, text will always go through better than data. Exception would be in buildings, where you might have no cell service, but have wifi.

Yea I know text will go through better than data. I was questioning why he was asserting that iMessage (using internet) was better than text as far as being able to send in more places. To me it is the opposite--I often get/send texts when I have no data access at all (low signal areas).

Michael

dickdaney

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
The google voice app is a step backwards for google voice users. That app sucks. The other apps aren't much better if you're in a place with a bad signal.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
I've been using GV exclusively for a year and a half. I can't imagine living without GV SMS and GV Phone extension. Integration with the iPhone is pretty seamless with it. This really makes me dependent on a jailbreak. iMessage has definitely been a plus for me because it enabled me to send pictures without resorting to email. The people I text most use ios5 as well so that worked out. It would still be nice for GV to support mms. You can currently receive mms from sprint users via email forwarding so hopefully they keep making progress on other carriers.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Yea I know text will go through better than data. I was questioning why he was asserting that iMessage (using internet) was better than text as far as being able to send in more places. To me it is the opposite--I often get/send texts when I have no data access at all (low signal areas).

Michael

Yeah, I was agreeing with you, since you're right. :)

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
The google voice app is a step backwards for google voice users. That app sucks. The other apps aren't much better if you're in a place with a bad signal.

The app seems fine, but I barely use it. I do prepaid so have unlimited messaging anyways so save everyone's number and text through native messaging

willpower101

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
Harder for normal text?
So you are not on 3G when this happens right?

TN coverage maps has a steep fall off for all services outside of major cities. Not even the interstates are fully covered.

My friends, who have normal service, can't send text messages or make calls at all when they lose 3G. They get 1-2 bars of EDGE when 60 miles outside of Nashville. When they get back to the outskirts, the texts will go through in batch. iMessage however does not have this problem. Despite using different services, it seems that the data being sent is much less or more compressed.

Now for my setup:
I use an Ipad sim with data only and the google voice app seems to require HUGE amounts of data to send and refresh. I generally can't use it at all when I'm off 3G. But iMessage works great.

Don't get me wrong. I still hate that I open up google voice on my computer and have threads of messages replying to stuff I sent days ago in iMessage and that gets confusing.

shanezam203

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
Zhi Zheng1:51 PM said:
An update is being worked on. However it will take more time than I expected because of the underlying changes.

https://plus.google.com/101000267549201413782/posts

Excited to read SMS Phone Extender & SMS Extender is being updated and worked on towards a release for ios 6.x.

I am using Google Voice now 100% & do use iMessage but start conversations from my email address/ apple ID. So 2 threads on my friends phones but only 1 # for them to have me saved under...:cool:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Excited to read SMS Phone Extender & SMS Extender is being updated and worked on towards a release for ios 6.x.

I am using Google Voice now 100% & do use iMessage but start conversations from my email address/ apple ID. So 2 threads on my friends phones but only 1 # for them to have me saved under...:cool:

Where'd you get that quote from? The last post from him that I see at his Google+ page is from May 2012.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Messages is great if everyone you want to communicate with is using Apple devices -- I love how it syncs up conversations wherever I use it (OS X or my iPhone). Before I started using Messages for OS X, I was using WifiSMS (Jailbreak required), which basically gave you a web interface to remote control the Messages app on the iPhone. This was great, and I could SMS non-Apple users this way, too. The developer of WifiSMS isn't actively developing it at the moment, though, and has mentioned DeskSMS and Remote Messages as alternatives.

Don't have much input on Google Voice. I have an account, but haven't used it heavily enough to weigh in on it.

desusher

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2016
When I get calls to my GV # their actual # shows up too. I was referencing a text response, that comes in forwarded to my carrier # as the 2nd # I have them saved in my contacts. you too?
[doublepost=1464278038][/doublepost]how do you get your gv messages sent to imessage with the number that GV gave you . I need steps im confused lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.