Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
Oops I’m sorry, it’s the same 17.0.2 update that was released a few days ago for the iPhone 15, but now it’s available for all devices

paulrr

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
I'm also having this issue, spent a few hours with apple support, also getting nowhere

paulrr

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Per Apple Senior Support, this is a known issue affecting the iPhone 15's and engineering is working on it, if you call into them you can reference Issue Tracker #294431. They are supposed to follow up with an update once they know more. At least there is confirmation that they're aware it's an issue.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Per Apple Senior Support, this is a known issue affecting the iPhone 15's and engineering is working on it, if you call into them you can reference Issue Tracker #294431. They are supposed to follow up with an update once they know more. At least there is confirmation that they're aware it's an issue.
I’ve never been so excited about a known issue! Finally- just maybe they will fix this.

Randalpaul

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2019
I feel the same way. I sent that to my Apple Advisor for confirmation. I will let you know
They of course never heard of the Issue Tracker. They are telling me after 72 hours of plugged in that it will take another week. I don't believe that for a second. Any thoughts ?

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
They of course never heard of the Issue Tracker. They are telling me after 72 hours of plugged in that it will take another week. I don't believe that for a second. Any thoughts ?
I have heard that iOS 17.1 beta is being released soon or has already dropped. With the reports of battery overheating etc, they will be doing a software update soon. I can only hope the iMessage bug will be fixed in this and maybe that’s why they said a week.

Has anyone wiped the phone and reinstalled via ICloud? Not reinstall Quick - old phone to new phone and not via Finder on Mac?

I’m wondering if it’s worth trying to wipe it and start over with an iCloud recovery reinstall? I don’t think it will help because iMessage isn’t part of the back up.

The guy I spoke to at Apple support today told me to download photos in iMessage to photos. I told him I have photos on old text threads going back years and they don’t show up so I can’t do that. He also looked at my phone (screen share) and could see that only 3GB of my 13GB of messages have downloaded to my phone. The approx 10GB is stuck in iCloud.

It seems to me that no matter how I reinstall if I wipe the phone, I can’t get iMessage to download and install all my messages

The apple support guy sent me a link to follow up in two days to see if he can find other people reporting the same issue. I’ll do that

Randalpaul

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2019
I have heard that iOS 17.1 beta is being released soon or has already dropped. With the reports of battery overheating etc, they will be doing a software update soon. I can only hope the iMessage bug will be fixed in this and maybe that’s why they said a week.

Has anyone wiped the phone and reinstalled via ICloud? Not reinstall Quick - old phone to new phone and not via Finder on Mac?

I’m wondering if it’s worth trying to wipe it and start over with an iCloud recovery reinstall? I don’t think it will help because iMessage isn’t part of the back up.

The guy I spoke to at Apple support today told me to download photos in iMessage to photos. I told him I have photos on old text threads going back years and they don’t show up so I can’t do that. He also looked at my phone (screen share) and could see that only 3GB of my 13GB of messages have downloaded to my phone. The approx 10GB is stuck in iCloud.

It seems to me that no matter how I reinstall if I wipe the phone, I can’t get iMessage to download and install all my messages

The apple support guy sent me a link to follow up in two days to see if he can find other people reporting the same issue. I’ll do

The apple support guy sent me a link to follow up in two days to see if he can find other people reporting the same issue. I’ll do that
Downloading from cloud doesn't change anything. There is a bug and I'm not sure if its widespread or we are the unfortunate one. Apple continues to tell me to wait for it to index but it's been a week on high speed internet and nothing has changed.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Mine doesn’t say it is indexing. Mine said it was syncing to iCloud and that lasted about 30 mins and nothing changed.

Sounds like we have no choice but to wait for a fix. All the new things in search in iMessage using keywords don’t work for me because my text threads haven’t downloaded to my phone so it can’t find anything using keywords.

Reactions: ios3

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022

It is a known issue!

Reactions: Randalpaul and ios3

Randalpaul

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2019

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA

I previously had this problem and it was due to my Messages settings in iCloud (not the backup, but in the “Apps using iCloud” section), being different for my devices.

My iPad was no longer set to sync via iCloud because I stopped using it for messages but it had years worth of messages.

My iPhone was set to sync via iCloud but I had that one set to only keep messages 30 days.

An update (or my carelessness) re-enabled the iCloud sync on the iPad and then I started seeing all of those old messages pop into iMessage on my iPhone but then at some point they would disappear..

Once I set the iPad to match the iPhone it stopped.

This was a year or so ago and I am not having this issue when I went from a 14 pro max to my 15 pro max, but it sounded similar.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Mine doesn’t say it is indexing. Mine said it was syncing to iCloud and that lasted about 30 mins and nothing changed.

Sounds like we have no choice but to wait for a fix. All the new things in search in iMessage using keywords don’t work for me because my text threads haven’t downloaded to my phone so it can’t find anything using keywords.
Out of curiosity, I was wondering if any of the folks having this issue were previously on the iOS 17 betas, or if you went straight to iOS 17 from iOS 16?

topdog9000

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
iMessage search is pretty much useless until this bug is fixed. It won’t find any keyword in any of the t older texts even though the conversation is there. Def seems like some type of indexing issue.

Reactions: Maxell

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
Is this issue fixed for everyone? I still have missing pictures though not as many missing as before. new pictures I receive often don’t index And are missing in the info section of iMessage.

whuzmyname

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2023
Is this issue fixed for everyone? I still have missing pictures though not as many missing as before. new pictures I receive often don’t index And are missing in the info section of iMessage.
This happens to me every once in a while too. Try going to the picture in the iMessage thread and saving it to your photo gallery. Go to your photo gallery, open it, then delete the pic. Go back to your iMessage info section and it should be there.

Reactions: ihakim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.