Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Hello,

After the iMessage servers went down (https://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/18/apple-acknowledges-imessage-and-facetime-out age/), I deactivated iMessage on my iPhone 5, because I don't wanted to wait until the message timed out and sent as SMS.

But then I have tried activating iMessage again, with no luck. It's just stuck on "Waiting for activation..." until it changed to something like "Could not activate.."

I have tried all these things:

1) Toggle iMessage off and on
2) Soft- and hard reboot iPhone
3) Verified timezone settings
4) Tried logging in and out with my Apple ID in Message settings (Send/Receive).
5) "Can be reached at" shows my phone number
6) Changing Apple ID password
7) Tried both on wifi and 3G. Also tried using Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8)
8) Reset network settings
9) Restore iPhone WITHOUT restoring from backup (clean install without anything on it).

Now I've called Apple, and they suggest me to send the phone in for repair. Is this seriously needed? Sounds odd!

I took to the store where I bought the iPhone, and they had never seen the problem before. They suggested me not to send the phone into repair, as it would take about 3 weeks until I would get it back, and they would probably not even be able to fix it.

So.. Seems like my phone number is not welcome for iMessage anymore. When using my e-mail as iMessage, it works fine. But it's not so nice that the people I text sees the e-mail instead of my name/phone number. :confused:

Any ideas?

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Am I really the only one in the world with this problem? :(

Looks like it…..:p

----------

It's a long shot and am not sure if it will work..

can you remove your SIM and insert it again and see if it works…

I used to have problems with my BBM many years ago and removing the SIM and re-inserting it seem to solve the problem.

Long shot, but at least one more thing for you to try, whilst hoping someone can solve your problem….

romiebleed

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
johannesburg
Hello,

After the iMessage servers went down (https://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/18/apple-acknowledges-imessage-and-facetime-out age/), I deactivated iMessage on my iPhone 5, because I don't wanted to wait until the message timed out and sent as SMS.

But then I have tried activating iMessage again, with no luck. It's just stuck on "Waiting for activation..." until it changed to something like "Could not activate.."

I have tried all these things:

1) Toggle iMessage off and on
2) Soft- and hard reboot iPhone
3) Verified timezone settings
4) Tried logging in and out with my Apple ID in Message settings (Send/Receive).
5) "Can be reached at" shows my phone number
6) Changing Apple ID password
7) Tried both on wifi and 3G. Also tried using Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8)
8) Reset network settings
9) Restore iPhone WITHOUT restoring from backup (clean install without anything on it).

Now I've called Apple, and they suggest me to send the phone in for repair. Is this seriously needed? Sounds odd!

I took to the store where I bought the iPhone, and they had never seen the problem before. They suggested me not to send the phone into repair, as it would take about 3 weeks until I would get it back, and they would probably not even be able to fix it.

So.. Seems like my phone number is not welcome for iMessage anymore. When using my e-mail as iMessage, it works fine. But it's not so nice that the people I text sees the e-mail instead of my name/phone number. :confused:

Any ideas?

Am not sure if this is going to help. Just try taking out your sim and insert another sim and activate imessage and retry again with your sim.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I had this problem for part of a day. I was "playing" around trying to get my iPad and iPhone to both get messages and then all of a sudden I couldn't get activated on my phone. I got - waiting for activation or errors.
Then I got busy and left the phone alone for several hours and when I got back it had activated. I assumed that that Apple was having problems but maybe there is something else going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.