Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinclodes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
I have seen claims that iMovie HD can be used beyond OS 10.8. One of the claims is that you can modify Exceptions.plist so that iMovie HD will open. This does indeed allow one to open iMovie HD, but it doesn't work properly. After modifying the plist under OS 10.13, I opened an iMovie project and imported a digital video file. It looked good at first, but then I realized that the video appears black when played back (but the audio works). There was another claim that an unofficial version of iMovie works beyond OS 10.8. For that version, there is no need to modify the plist file. I tried that version and had the same problem with the video appearing black. Is there an additional step that needs to be done? Or are claims that iMovie can be used beyond OS 10.8 misleading?

Reactions: dandeco

cinclodes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Thanks for pointing out that discussion, which I had already seen. I tried iMovie HD on Mavericks (10.9). It sort of works, but there were problems. I would open a project, start adding media, and it would become corrupted or not allow me to save and reopen. I am not aware of any OS beyond 10.8 on which iMovie HD is fully functional and without problems. If anyone has found a way to make it work (without issues) on anything beyond 10.8, I would love to know. That would allow me to run it on my Mac Pro 6,1. I am wondering if those who have posted claims that it works beyond 10.8 have simply given it a quick try without noticing the problems? Either that or there must be some additional steps to make it work that I am not aware of.

cinclodes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
I tried both of the solutions that you cited for two different iMovie projects that were created in OS 10.8, and they seem to work! I will try working with it for a while to see if it's stable under OS 10.13. In the wordpress.com post that you cited, there were some reports of problems. That would be consistent with my experience trying to run it under OS 10.9. I am crossing my fingers! Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Working in Mojave also:
1694190216344.png

Reactions: cinclodes

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Isn’t iMovie 09 better than iMovieHD?

cinclodes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
In my opinion, every version beyond HD is junk. As can be seen from the comments here, there are many others who share my opinion that HD was by far the best version.

Reactions: startergo

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
In my opinion, every version beyond HD is junk
The version that came immediately after HD(iMovie 08) was junk. A really basic editor mainly designed for those that just wanted to do a quick edit and share straight to YouTube, etc.

That was all put right with iMovie v9(also known as iMovie 11, as it came with iLife 11). The major disadvantage with HD(compared with later versions), is that once you had put a clip into a movie, that clip was gone. If you wanted to use the same clip again, you had to re-import it. A bit of a pain with tape based video. With later versions, clips stay in the Library and can be used over and over.

cinclodes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
The major disadvantage with HD(compared with later versions), is that once you had put a clip into a movie, that clip was gone. If you wanted to use the same clip again, you had to re-import it. A bit of a pain with tape based video. With later versions, clips stay in the Library and can be used over and over.
A clip imported into iMovie HD resides in the Media folder. It is easy to access and may be moved from one project to another or to a folder for storage. I do this all the time.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
A clip imported into iMovie HD resides in the Media folder. It is easy to access and may be moved from one project to another or to a folder for storage. I do this all the time.
OK, it's been a while. I just recall when dragging a clip from the clip viewer into a Project, that it wasn't there to be used again in another Project.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.