Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samesam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2024
Hi, I’m looking to buy a iPhone on Facebook marketplace. It will be a public meet up. I’m going to ask them to go to Best Buy so they can get a diagnostic check and make sure everything is ok on it, and hopefully it’s not iCloud locked? Is this the best solution, and is there anything else I should know in order to not get scammed?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don’t believe Best Buy can provide anything of value. They’ll just look at overall condition, which you can do yourself. If the physical condition meets your expectations, start the phone and begin the setup to confirm that it isn’t activation locked. That’s it. Once you own it, you can update the software, if required, and transfer your stuff over.

Reactions: JPack

samesam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2024
I don’t believe Best Buy can provide anything of value. They’ll just look at overall condition, which you can do yourself. If the physical condition meets your expectations, start the phone and begin the setup to confirm that it isn’t activation locked. That’s it. Once you own it, you can update the software, if required, and transfer your stuff over.
I just don’t know how to tell if it’s locked or not…

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Other than activation lock, your biggest concern is whether the device is still tied to a carrier contract.

The seller can stop paying for it or claim insurance on the device. A few weeks or months later, you'll end up with a brick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.