Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I use the comment ID3 tag to apply sub-genres to my songs (e.g. a song by Metallica will have 'Rock' in the genre tag, and also 'Metal' in the comment tag). Prior to Catalina, in iTunes, I used to be able to use the search functionality to search my library using comment tags. Now, in Music.app, this doesn't work. If I type a sub-genre in the search box in the upper left corner, nothing shows up. What's the deal? Is there a workaround for this?

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I figured this out! It's not straightforward at all. Here's what you need to do to search your songs by "non-standard" ID3 tags:
  1. On the left-side panel, under 'Library', select 'Songs'. This view resembles the iTunes of yore.
  2. In the menu bar, select 'View' > 'Show Filter Field' (or alternatively hold Cmd+Opt+F)
  3. This will open a search/filter bar at the top of the table of songs.
  4. You can now search/filter through this table, as long as the column/tag you're searching/filtering through is displayed.
    1. If you don't see the ID3 tag you want to search/filter through, right-click on the row/column header and select the tags you want to be able to search/filter through.

Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.