Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I'm thinking that I am going to switch to Canon. I played around with a 50D, at BestBuy today, and I liked Canon's menu system more then Nikons when compared to the D90.

I'll probably end up ordering a refurb 40D from Adorama.

Don

The 40D is an awesome camera, and there are things that I like about it over the 50D (lower pixel density for one). There will be plenty of Canon and Nikon users to help you along the way, whichever brand you choose.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Definitely go with the camera you feel most comfortable with. For me, that was Nikon. Canon is the choice for a lot of photographers, as Grimace mentioned. You'll have no shortage of help, that's for sure.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
The 40D is an awesome camera, and there are things that I like about it over the 50D (lower pixel density for one). There will be plenty of Canon and Nikon users to help you along the way, whichever brand you choose.

Definitely go with the camera you feel most comfortable with. For me, that was Nikon. Canon is the choice for a lot of photographers, as Grimace mentioned. You'll have no shortage of help, that's for sure.

Thanks. I'm still kicking myself for buying the D60 last year. It's been a great camera, and it has taught me a lot about photography. The D90 just didn't feel right to me, whereas the 50D felt right. I'll probably order the 40D within a few days.

Don

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I am seriously considering switching to Canon, because I would gain access to some very good and very expensive lenses, that I can't even think of getting myself.

Looks like you solved your problem! If you have access to those white Canons, there's NO QUESTION what you should be doing. Either switch to Canon xxD series (or whatever that middle-tier line is called in the States) or just buy ANY 2nd hand Canon body that you can find dirt cheap on eBay.

Sports lens needs to be fast, and fast glass is expensive. You don't have that budget, let's be honest, so your best bet is to use the lenses already available to you -- all you need is a compatible body.

Buy one, end of story.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I have to second the comment that you should use what you feel most comfortable with. If you ponder of switching to Canon, borrow a Canon body from one of your friends in the photography club. Take out a few lenses and see what you can do with them. If you don't feel comfortable with the equipment, forget about it (for most users, this is the single most important aspect that determines the quality of your photos (≠image quality)). If you think you like the feel of Canons, switching is indeed an option.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I liked Canon's menu system more then Nikons when compared to the D90.

I'd go more with the changing of settings while shooting- I don't think I go to the menu of my camera more than half a dozen times a year, but I switch settings with buttons almost every time I shoot. The ability to change the settings I need without taking my eye from the viewfinder is very important to me.

I've also considered switching to the dark side (Canon), because my school has a rather large collection of Canon glass, that they will loan out to students who are in the photography club (which I am in). They have a few L line telephotos that I really wish I could use.

You don't stand to lose much at this point in switching, I'd advise you to do it, as the type of shooting you're wanting to do is more geared towards expensive glass than most anything. There's no point in getting glass when you can use someone else's.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Go for the Canon if you like the feel better, that's very important when you're going to be trying to shoot action; you need your camera to be as close an extension of your brain as possible so you can focus on capturing the images rather than futzing with settings you're not familiar/comfortable with.

Now for your question about IS, don't worry too much about it. I generally have it turned off on my 70-200 nikkor except during portraits. For sports and action, if you need IS you aren't shooting a high enough shutter speed to get the job done anyway. (just my 2 cents). If the Canon 70-200 is anywhere as fast operating as the Nikkor, you'll be in business, in that case, forget about the Sigma.

SLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.