Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you predominantly use your iPad in the landscape or portrait orientation?

• Total voters

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
With the new iPad Air and iPad Pro having switched the camera orientation to landscape, I was curious about which orientation most people predominantly use their iPad.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
On my current 2018 iPad Pro, I probably have a 50/50 mix. Like when I am on my sofa, I typically read in portrait mode, but I may switch to landscape if I want to run apps in split screen mode (like say, safari and YouTube side by side).

Reactions: Kal Madda

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I think the answer will depend on size. I have a 12.9” iPP-> almost exclusively landscape. But I use my iPad mini almost exclusively in portrai. I can the in-between size being useable in both.

OldRhodie

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2012
Belfast
For many years I exclusively used landscape. It was apparently logical because I’d used a PC on my desk at work for ±30 years. I could never understand why my wife always used portrait.

But hand size comes into it, along with the introduction of different sized iPads over the years. My wife’s hands are small and I have large hands. With the iPad Pro 11” I was able to hold it firmly, with thumb and fingers across the whole device, in portrait.

The iPad Pro M4 11” is especially comfortable for me. This is why, however tempting, I’ve never moved up to the larger screen.

Surfing the web, reading the newspaper, magazines and books is always portrait and landscape for YouTube along with films, TV etc.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Depends on what I'm doing.
Scrolling through safari? Portrait
Walking on the go outside? 100% Portrait. Mucfh easier

[if i do have a case on that allows me to prop it a bit]
Playing Clash of Clans? 100% landscape
Watching Youtube? 100% landscape.

Likewise it really depends on the context but I'd say I use it mostly portrait.

edit: obviously there is way more than those ^ but those were like general examples i pulled off based on what i frequently use* things like LR editing... i prefer mac lol but thats just perseonal preference

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Landscape most of the time, except for Portrait only apps...
Portrait only apps absolutely suck. There are a couple that I must use (Linksys for example) but otherwise I avoid them like the plague.

Fortunately iPhone-only apps will rotate for landscape, even with my iPad mini. Used to not do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.