Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
This! I generally buy a new mac when the latest MacOS is no longer supported or if my computer has become so slow that it hinders my productivity. If you already have a 2020 i5 MBA, I don't see any reason for buying a 2020 MBP since MBA is already quite powerful to begin with.

I agree mostly, but sometimes there are other factors. I try to buy inside of 5 years "whether I need it or not" because typically you get major updates in features/performance by that point, and I budget for every 3 years (as in, I take 100 bucks a month and put it aside) as that's the period of time I can write a computer off for tax purposes, and how long the warranty lasts.

I.e., I plan to have to buy when AppleCare runs out, if the machine is still alive I push it out to no more than 5 years. So I have some flexibility in there between year 3 and year 5 to wait out things like the butterfly keyboard or if I know there's a significant worthwhile step coming from intel, or a CPU shift coming, etc.

At the 5 year point, I buy what is available. If apple had not replaced the keyboard this year I would have jumped ship from my 2015 to something else.

Then again though I am someone who uses their machine for work, and performance/capacity/reliability limitations make my life with the machine more difficult and less productive.

Last edited:

Techno Pirate

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
I am looking at the 10th Generation CPU's not the 8th generation.
Keen to know what you think of this May 2020 13" MacBook pro?!
If you think it's not enough updates, or it's a case of why fix what isn't broken - all and any opinion solicited!

Requirement:
I currently have a 2017 MBP 15".
I am very keen to replace it (but not desperate) as the butterfly keyboard has been atrocious. I don't really like the touch bar either, but I can deal with it. The footprint is too large and I find I'm not taking it outside the house because of the size. For this reason alone, I am discounting the 16" from the option. I don't typically need a lot of GPU for any work. External monitor is NOT 6k.
So I can wait for the next revision - whether it be 14" or with more updates (e.g. updating the very disappointing camera), or grab this one and replace it in a few years (I typically replace every 3-4 years).
I have a 2020 MBA in the house. I need something more powerful for my work.
Thanks for all your thoughts guys!
That MacBook Pro sounds like exactly what you need. You can edit on it no problem, and it's portable.

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
I agree mostly, but sometimes there are other factors. I try to buy inside of 5 years "whether I need it or not" because typically you get major updates in features/performance by that point, and I budget for every 3 years (as in, I take 100 bucks a month and put it aside) as that's the period of time I can write a computer off for tax purposes, and how long the warranty lasts.

I.e., I plan to have to buy when AppleCare runs out, if the machine is still alive I push it out to no more than 5 years. So I have some flexibility in there between year 3 and year 5 to wait out things like the butterfly keyboard or if I know there's a significant worthwhile step coming from intel, or a CPU shift coming, etc.

At the 5 year point, I buy what is available. If apple had not replaced the keyboard this year I would have jumped ship from my 2015 to something else.

Then again though I am someone who uses their machine for work, and performance/capacity/reliability limitations make my life with the machine more difficult and less productive.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. It can be pretty major for a business to not have a production tool even for a few days. Very good idea to budget monthly for 3 years! I'm lucky enough to live somewhere with strong consumer rights, so don't really need Apple Care, but also typically replace every 3-4 years.
There's also the value-proposition around depreciation and residual value, as well as timing to minimise unproductivity.
Imagine waiting until you absolutely have to replace your computer- as in it's failed because it's from 2013 or something - and buying a 2019 MacBook air or Pro 13 earlier this year! You've just bought an old model that you could have avoided with more sensible planning, and stuck with an awful keyboard for another depreciation cycle. You've just bought an expensive asset which as of today, is worth significantly less and you'll have to wear that cost when you sell if you don't keep it until it's depreciated to $0. Even then it will be worth less for no other reason that it's considered an older model with some major flaws (butterfly..)
I imagine it matters a lot less if you're just using it for browsing the internet or streaming on.
cheers! ☺ ✌
[automerge]1588990777[/automerge]
That MacBook Pro sounds like exactly what you need. You can edit on it no problem, and it's portable.
I'm still disappointed about the lack of 14" - thought that might be the sweet spot!
I wonder about which generation cpu is best for battery life ?

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX
Apple especially are unlikely to do a major refresh inside 12 months given everything right now is brand new.
AMD is forcing intel to release chips out of cycle - rumors are strong that rocket lake chips will be released by the end of the year. That said, rocket lake chips are said to still be 14 nm architecture so gains will be nominal over the 10th gen chips. AMD is ringing Intel's bell up and down the product stack, it is great to see.

Reactions: unoporfavor

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AMD is forcing intel to release chips out of cycle - rumors are strong that rocket lake chips will be released by the end of the year. That said, rocket lake chips are said to still be 14 nm architecture so gains will be nominal over the 10th gen chips. AMD is ringing Intel's bell up and down the product stack, it is great to see.

Sure.

but intel have nothing, and won't have anything until they get their new manufacturing process up to par.

Intel are basically screwed until 2021-2022.

I very much doubt apple will switch to AMD, they'd go in-house ARM first, that way they're not stuck with whatever someone else produces, which is the source of their current problems with putting out an upgrade worth much.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
For the keyboard alone it is probably worth it. The 2017 15 inch MBP I had was terrible. Even the 2019 MBP 13 inch I replaced it with is so much better with the keyboard. If you are working every day on the computer that's a huge advantage. If you are not doing so much then you could wait for the likely new screen that has been rumoured.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Haha good point!
God it's all a worry isn't it :eek:o_O
Although gen 1 of the 16" has been pretty flawless hasn't it? I know there's complaints about heat and noise with an external monitor. Are there other issues too? ??

I'm not saying all gen1 items are problematic - the 16 may well be great, I've not paid attention as my MBP15 is a 2018 model and it'll be a while before I'm looking to update it.

My only point was to be cautious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.