Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charmin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
Anybody remember this game?

I had it for Windoze back in the day, and I just tried to install it under Vista. No luck. In my travels on the interwebs, I found out that there's an OSX version somewhere, but I can't find one.

Anybody know how I can get my hands on a copy?

charmin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
I've had no luck on eBay :(

Doesn't help that the game is called 'Silver', but I've had a look on the UK and US sites and it doesn't seem to be on there.

charmin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
woot. I love being able to answer my own thread.

I just managed to pick up the last used copy on amazon.co.uk - £15.

butaro

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
Canada
woot. I love being able to answer my own thread.

I just managed to pick up the last used copy on amazon.co.uk - £15.
That game had great music/sound (The game was good too). I have the windows one but i cant install it either. I even tried to rip the music from it somehow but i couldnt find the files then gave up. I wouldn't mind playing it on mac....

charmin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
Ugh.

In my eagerness to get my hands on a copy, I didn't have time to fully check it out.

All I could find mentioned about the game was that there was a Mac version released in 2000, and that the Amazon listing was for Silver (OSX). Turns out that Amazon were wrong (they often are), and that it's actually an OS8 game.

I'll have to give it a go under Classic on my 867MHz PowerBook, but otherwise it's going to have to be returned :(

charmin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
The plot thickens.

The disc reads fine on a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo machine, but my PB spits it out :( I managed to install the game from Toast images of the discs, and even tried burning a copy (which the PB reads fine..), but the game needs the disc to be present to start up.

Apparently Classic can't use disc verification anyway; something to do with not having access to the hardware.

It's really not worth my time partitioning the drive to boot from OS8, if that machine even CAN boot from OS8, so it looks like I may never play the game again unless I get a Dreamcast :'(

Raph

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2007
Ahh Please Help I Love This Game!

Hello Charmin,

I once owned this game on PC but alas gave it to a friend in mexico (!) and it doesn't look like I'll get it back. Anyway I own a mac now (Powerbook G4) and have been desperately looking for Silver on mac because it's so great! I do have virtual Pc - do you reckon windows version would run on this through mac? And have you got your mac version to work yet? If not could I buy it from you? I'm a londoner too so not far away...

Thanks.

charmin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure Virtual PC doesn't do graphics well. Last time I ran VPC on my 867MHz G4, XP ran at a crawl - I don't know about running Win95 (which would be all you'd need).

I wouldn't be entirely against getting rid of the OS8 version since I can't run it, but I wouldn't want to sell it to someone that can't run it either :p You'll need to be able to boot into OS8 or OS9, and even then I can't be 100% if the game will work, or even if the CDs are damaged.

Also, living in London won't be much of an advantage. I'm an absolute pain in the arse to get hold of because I'm always at work, travelling or otherwise busy, so I'd just end up posting it.

Raph

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2007
Ah well

All I meant about london was that it wouldn't cost much to post (hopefully) but thanks for your advice anyway! It seems it probably wouldn't work, I've had bad experiences with VirtualPC before...and I'm not sure about getting into OS8. Classic (0S9?) works fine for me but it sounds like it wasn't compatible with the game for you. However my machine is 1.5ghz, d'you reckon that would give it a better chance of working?

Anyway, if you do ever decide to sell it just let me know - depends how much for I guess, if not too much I don't mind having a go and then if it doesn't work for me I could pass it on myself.

But absolutely fine if you'd like to keep hold of it!

Cheers

charmin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
I may just end up keeping it for prosperity. I might even dual boot the PB into OS9 one day :) Looks like Silver is one of those games that will just die out :(

21stcenturykid

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2006
Newcastle UK
I saw this thread title and though Ooh ooh ooh :D silver for mac yayyyy...but then i kinda went :( by then end. It's such a shame this game just disapeered. I absolutely loved it when i had a windows 95 pc but alas it has just disapeered into obscurity :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.