Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2024
Quick update on this. It was his funeral today - was nice to catch up with family but a sad time.

On the way back I picked up his computer and photography equipment. It was a lot more than I expected. Managed to fill my entire car. Going to start filtering it for keep/dispose/don't know.

Again thanks for everyone's suggestions - I have a good strategy and a lot of work to do now. I better get on with it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Quick update on this. It was his funeral today - was nice to catch up with family but a sad time.

On the way back I picked up his computer and photography equipment. It was a lot more than I expected. Managed to fill my entire car. Going to start filtering it for keep/dispose/don't know.

Again thanks for everyone's suggestions - I have a good strategy and a lot of work to do now. I better get on with it.
No rush. Better to take your time than regret deleting something.

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2024
Quick update on this one.

I've exported everything in Lightroom as flat JPEGs at 90% quality full size with metadata to Apple photos first of all. This was done in year blocks. This took a couple of days of futzing to do which was mostly waiting for Lightroom to process stuff, then 4 days to upload 300 gig of stuff. This allows me to be able to share stuff with the family as I go. All Lightroom catalogs are now consolidated onto one high quality TB3 SSD and one spinning rust backup. The spinning rust backup is being stored off site. I've consolidated all his other files into iCloud Drive. This gives his widow access to them as well as she has an iPad tied to his account available at her disposal (photos too!). We are maintaining his iCloud account for the foreseeable future.

The intent is to leave the Lightroom catalogue alone and slowly work through the iCloud photos library as it's easier to manage for both of us now working on it. We've already shaved off about 20 gig of crap without too much effort. If there are any specific images that I want to pull out I will do so in RAW format from the LR library.

As for the hardware, I've cleaned tested and inventoried all the Nikon gear. It's all nearly new. The Z6-ii has 3000 shutter activations, two of the lenses are new and never even been out of the box. I will be keeping some of it. I now have 7 Nikon Z lenses which is a little excessive so need to consider clearing things out a bit!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.