Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisallen87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
My MacBook Pro was recently stolen and I bought a new one. Now that this has happened, I am working toward taking precautions with my brand new Macbook 2017 model with the touchbar. Toward that end, I'm thinking of adding a bluetooth Slim Tile INSIDE the computer (which would give me the location if the Macbook would ever pass by someone with the Tile App on their phone). Obviously, placing the tile outside the unit would defeat the purpose as any malicious person would be very aware of what a locator Tile does - so they would be quick to remove and destroy it.

With this said, is there any reason that this would not be a good idea? Or any useful feedback I should be aware of in the process of doing this?

Also, I am very aware of the useless "Find My Mac" function that only works when the computer is turned on and accessing the internet... so before you start talking about that, don't do it.. Thanks.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I would say great idea except how does it charge over time? Can you hardwire the tile into the MacBook? Also what about reception? Will the metal case reduce signal at all?

Otherwise, I think you are on to something.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
My MacBook Pro was recently stolen and I bought a new one. Now that this has happened, I am working toward taking precautions with my brand new Macbook 2017 model with the touchbar. Toward that end, I'm thinking of adding a bluetooth Slim Tile INSIDE the computer (which would give me the location if the Macbook would ever pass by someone with the Tile App on their phone). Obviously, placing the tile outside the unit would defeat the purpose as any malicious person would be very aware of what a locator Tile does - so they would be quick to remove and destroy it.

With this said, is there any reason that this would not be a good idea? Or any useful feedback I should be aware of in the process of doing this?

Also, I am very aware of the useless "Find My Mac" function that only works when the computer is turned on and accessing the internet... so before you start talking about that, don't do it.. Thanks.

It could well interfere with the Bluetooth and WiFi in your mac, you can try but don't be surprised if it gives you issues.

Reactions: chrisallen87

chrisallen87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
yeah, this is bad idea.
Your statement is insufficiently substantiated. I am certainly interested in dialogue, but not just a quick draw opinion. If you think it is "a bad idea", that's great IF you also explain why/how you have arrived at such a conclusion.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I keep my Macbook in my bag whenever I'm not using it. I have a tile hidden in the bag. Figure that most of the time thieves won't toss the bag and will keep it nearby. Might be a good alternative for you?

chrisallen87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
It could well interfere with the Bluetooth and WiFi in your mac, you can try but don't be surprised if it gives you issues.

Interesting thought. I will report back findings.
[doublepost=1518100729][/doublepost]
I keep my Macbook in my bag whenever I'm not using it. I have a tile hidden in the bag. Figure that most of the time thieves won't toss the bag and will keep it nearby. Might be a good alternative for you?

Interesting, that's the use case I'm fighting against - the thief went through my entire bag and took out only the valuables, then they left the bag. I assume they were avoiding taking a tile on accident.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I would say great idea except how does it charge over time? Can you hardwire the tile into the MacBook? Also what about reception? Will the metal case reduce signal at all?

Otherwise, I think you are on to something.

I would think it could make a big difference on signal strength, apples wifi and Bluetooth antennae are placed very carefully to take advantage of ports and cooling air flow slots.
[doublepost=1518101017][/doublepost]I like others think it won't fit either, they are 2.5 mm thick and 5cm x 5cm there just isn't that space inside your mac and even if there was it would be highly likely to cause damage to your logic board. oh yeah and completely void your warranty.

I hate to say it but you best bet is a good laptop insurance policy with a low excess or just add it to your home insurance as a named item with separate excess limit it won't increase your premiums that much.

Last edited:

chrisallen87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
I would think it could make a big difference on signal strength, apples wifi and Bluetooth antennae are placed very carefully to take advantage of ports and cooling air flow slots.
[doublepost=1518101017][/doublepost]I like others think it won't fit either, they are 2.5 mm thick and 5cm x 5cm there just isn't that space inside your mac and even if there was it would be highly likely to cause damage to your logic board. oh yeah and completely void your warranty.

I hate to say it but you best bet is a good laptop insurance policy with a low excess or just add it to your home insurance as a named item with separate excess limit it won't increase your premiums that much.

It fits. I installed it - so far it's working like a charm.

As a note, I will let you know if it affects signaling of any kind.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 996

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is that one of the batteries to which you attached it?
Does it attach with some kind of adhesive?
Looks ok, but I'm wondering -- if there is an adhesive used -- could it "react" with the outer surface of the battery, and break it down? (could be an unwarranted concern)

There are some privacy concerns about using these things:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01J6FPS42

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

micro.ai.nicmar

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2018
I think its a great idea. bluetooth interference: NO. Try using 5 different devices all connected to bluetooth next to each other. Works fine, doesnt it? my digital calipers say its only 0.09 inches thick. Would be clever to house it close enough on the right or left to get the sound to travel though the holes for the speaker (if needed in the final step of locating)

Further more I may even open my old tile slim that I need to replace b4 installing it to see if it could take up less room. no need for the plastic cover. I plan on talking to a few more computer science friends b4 opening it up.
[doublepost=1528687739][/doublepost]
Well I hope it does all that you wish from it, good luck.

It should not affect it.

micro.ai.nicmar

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2018
its ridiculously small now, and it still works!
[doublepost=1528697765][/doublepost]
I'll update with some feedback once I get some use under my belt. I put it in last night.

Please let me know about any or no observational differences. Is it getting hot or anything? Hopefully you got the dust out while you had it open.

Attachments

• 34934422_10110213857140348_7915274832722264064_n.jpg
    34934422_10110213857140348_7915274832722264064_n.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 416

lie2me

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Somewhere
The Tile requires a bluetooth connection to a cell phone to report its position. The Tile uses the GPS of the cell phone because it does not have its own GPS unit. I don't think the Tile can connect to a Mac via bluetooth and get position data. You will be relying on others using the Tile app on their phones to track it when it gets stolen again. Maybe it will work and maybe it will not.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
It fits. I installed it - so far it's working like a charm.

As a note, I will let you know if it affects signaling of any kind.

Love the thinking on that. I have one of those in my wallet and have put them under bicycle and motorcycle seats, but it never occurred to me to put one inside my laptop. Well done!

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I just bought a tile Pro from the store yesterday and you can now replace the batteries on them, so you won't need a new battery on them each year.

Really? That’s cool! I like that they recycle the old style ones and give discounts on a replacement. But one of mine is 2 years old and has been going strong while Tile sends me frequent alerts that I need to replace it because it’s over a year old. I think they overhype the battery warnings to get you to replace them more frequently than needed. It reminds me of printer ink warnings where you get the constant alerts and you have like 1/3 a tank left.

I am glad they now have replaceable batteries

darkloki

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Orange County California
Really? That’s cool! I like that they recycle the old style ones and give discounts on a replacement. But one of mine is 2 years old and has been going strong while Tile sends me frequent alerts that I need to replace it because it’s over a year old. I think they overhype the battery warnings to get you to replace them more frequently than needed. It reminds me of printer ink warnings where you get the constant alerts and you have like 1/3 a tank left.

I am glad they now have replaceable batteries

They offer a 3 dollar per month subscription service (My current understanding is this is optional and my dear lord I hope it's optional) and what the service does is it notifies you if you've left something behind from your phone (whatever that may be) and also I think you can allow other people to share whatever it is your tracking with them and other people can notify you where something is so it's like more precise, even longer range and historic location service. Nothing that I need (yet..)

The idea behind replaceable batteries is to encourage users to now track more things like laptops etc. so that they don't lost out on business. One thing is for sure I'm a fan!

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/02/tile-launches-new-products-and-service/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.