Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Storm917

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
That’s exactly why. Not sure there’s a workaround
Another update, ran a test on my HDD and it said its on the verge of failing. I guess my HDD was failing after all. I ran the test and it came up with 880 reallocated sectors, yikes.

If I were to replace the HDD would I need to do the EFI fix again?

TuxToaster

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
Kitchen
Another update, ran a test on my HDD and it said its on the verge of failing. I guess my HDD was failing after all. I ran the test and it came up with 880 reallocated sectors, yikes.

If I were to replace the HDD would I need to do the EFI fix again?
Remember that with that model it _could_ be a bad HDD cable as well as the drive. Not sure if it would be worth trying to replace the cable first but may want to keep the old drive around until you verify that a new HDD doesn't have also have issues due to a cable before disposing of it.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Nobody seems to have mentioned it, but don't forget that you can boot to an external drive (like your new SSD if you have a drive dock or USB cable adapter), and this will let you test (by bypassing) your HD and your internal SATA cable.

If it boots and behaves well outside the machine, could be worth replacing the SATA cable and installing. If it is still not stable on a known good external drive....might be time to throw in the towel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.