Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILoveCalvinCool

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2012
So why the heck did they remove telnet? It's not exactly resource intensive and people are still bound to need it for this and that.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Legacy device doesn't mean it doesn't support ssh. ssh has been available for over 20 years.

Plus, if you read my post to the end, I recommended putty which supports telnet (admittedly, after suggesting they try ssh instead 😁)

For the time being, I'd actually avoid putty, unless you'd like to invite the DPRK into your systems..

BL.

• Wow
Reactions: adrianlondon

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
So why the heck did they remove telnet? It's not exactly resource intensive and people are still bound to need it for this and that.

Telnet sends all packet data in clear text format. So anyone with any type of packet sniffer (ethereal, Wireshark, tcpdump, Solarwinds, etc.) can grab those packets and decode all data in it, including usernames/passwords. Same applies for ftp, tftp, all of the r* services (rsh, rlogin, rcp, etc.).

BL.

Reactions: adrianlondon

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
Sadly, I have to keep a Windows in Parallels instance so I can use PuTTY. Putty for the Mac stopped being updated years ago and doesn't work on any new macOS software for the last half decade.

That error is telling me you are being blocked from brew possibly, telnet definitely.

"Connection reset by peer" is essentially a rude hangup. It means you have either been blocked by the server or something between you and the server is tampering with the TCP connection.
My brother, if you're keeping a VM to run an ssh client, just use SecureCRT... Tabbed sessions FTW. I'll never go back to PuTTY

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
You can use "screen" on the terminal as a telnet client. Can't remember how the hell to do it though 🤣

I spend nearly my entire day in Terminal.app on remote machines. Don't need anything else.

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2021
Sadly, I have to keep a Windows in Parallels instance so I can use PuTTY. Putty for the Mac stopped being updated years ago and doesn't work on any new macOS software for the last half decade.

What do you need PuTTY for that ssh and nc can’t do for you?

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
What do you need PuTTY for that ssh and nc can’t do for you?
I don't like CLI, sorry. I can save my SSH/Telnet/Serial Line settings saved in Putty and easily with a GUI tinker with settings. I get it, Terminal can do this. But I was in a very corporate network environ with hundreds of VMWare/RHEL/AWS instances as well as thousands of small terminals running various different software (Polycom/Linksys/Mitel/Cisco IOS/Nortel/Avaya/etc) and Putty was just soooo much easier.

I had Royal TSX, and it was great for maintaining public and private keys, but it had a habit of being slow and clunky, plus Nortel did NOT like it at all and refused connections and at my last job, connecting to Nortel was a requirement. If you could not, you couldn't work.

I'm just not a big CLI fan, never have been.

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
My brother, if you're keeping a VM to run an ssh client, just use SecureCRT... Tabbed sessions FTW. I'll never go back to PuTTY
SecureCRT for Mac is not as good as the Windows version. Plus, at that price, was way out of my price range. Royal TS X was more affordable but some equipment (Nortel) did not like it and would randomly disconnect.

I used the Windows partition for some apps that just don't have a Mac equivalent such as WinSCP. I searched far and wide and wasn't gonna spend money on something WinSCP does for free and my employer gave me an OEM Win10/11 key for free.

SecureCRT and RoyalTSX though both do not work as wonderfully with older Cisco IOS or Nortel equipment. IADs, BTS, and UCM all have issues maintaining hours long connections, which for me was my job everyday logged into them and running tests.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I don't like CLI, sorry. I can save my SSH/Telnet/Serial Line settings saved in Putty and easily with a GUI tinker with settings.

I used Termius for iPhone and iPad before iSH came along and allowed me to revert back to the cli I prefer. :)

It seems Termius is available for Mac too, and perhaps does what you want?

(Hey, look at that, @Videot27, the free version even has Telnet support.)

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
I used Termius for iPhone and iPad before iSH came along and allowed me to revert back to the cli I prefer. :)

It seems Termius is available for Mac too, and perhaps does what you want?

(Hey, look at that, @Videot27, the free version even has Telnet support.)
I tried Termius first. They just didn't solve the issues I was having. And my public and private keys didn't play nice inside of it. I tried everything, but sometimes just glitched out.

Termius just couldn't handle the thousands of connections I wanted saved. Ended up with RoyalTSX for everything that didn't require Putty. The lab I was in had 2500-3000 devices I needed access to weekly.

Thank you, though for trying.

Reactions: Arctic Moose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.