Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Another thing to keep in mind (won't apply to most of you, but lots on here talk about doing paid shoots) is that most home owner policies won't cover any cameras used "professionally." This is another reason to have a separate policy specifically for your equipment if you've ever charged for your work (why give them an excuse to not pay right).

My policy is through Hays (http://www.hayscompanies.com), I've got around $25K on the policy that includes drop & break plus it automatically expands to cover rented or borrowed equipment.

Another thing to consider with your insurance is the deductible and listing of small items like the "Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce: $32" I saw above. I personally don't have cheap accessories like that on my policy, including most flash cards. There is a point where the cost/benefit of listing all those little things won't be worth the rise in premium.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
^ That is a good point. I sold my 17-40L to an interior photographer (works with a lot of realtors of high end houses) and his was stolen from his car. He said something about problems with getting insurance for professionals.

I will ask my insurance company about this as well when i get around to calling them..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.