Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamieph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2024
Upgrading from a 2020 MBP 13" 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X.

I understand from reading similar threads that upgrading to an M2 Pro or M3 Pro chip will feel like a big upgrade (which will be welcome because the fans run constant on my 2020 machine!)

But I wondered if anyone could advise with the apple silicone being such an upgrade could I get away with upgrading to the MBA M3?

I mostly use adobe creative cloud, and usually have about 100 tabs open in a browser somewhere!

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I think you'd be very pleased. Consider extra RAM but even the base model MBA M3 would be a significant gain over what you're using currently.

Reactions: jamieph

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Yes, even the Air will be a big upgrade in CPU and GPU speed. Just be sure to get a similar amount of RAM.

Reactions: jamieph

jamieph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2024
It's not even that my current 2020 intel MBP is slow, the fans are mostly the issue sometimes it sounds like it's going to take off. I was working on a plane the other day and it was embarrassing the sound they were making!

Will I notice a difference with the display? The specs for my current MBP show 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology. The 13 MBA M3 shows 13.6-inch (diagonal) Liquid Retina display. Isn't LED supposed to be better?

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I think I have only heard the fans come on on my 2017 MacBook Pro one time and that was when I first got it, and setting it up with my iCloud and updating the os to macOS Ventura from Catalina. other than that even running weather radar, storm prediction website and my emergency management software I have not heard the fans come on and it stays very cool. don't even get barely warm.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Upgrading from a 2020 MBP 13" 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X.

I understand from reading similar threads that upgrading to an M2 Pro or M3 Pro chip will feel like a big upgrade (which will be welcome because the fans run constant on my 2020 machine!)

But I wondered if anyone could advise with the apple silicone being such an upgrade could I get away with upgrading to the MBA M3?

I mostly use adobe creative cloud, and usually have about 100 tabs open in a browser somewhere!
Honestly, going from any (10th Gen Intel-based) 2020 4-port 13-inch MacBook Pro to even an M1 2-port 13-inch MacBook Pro will have you noticing serious speed gains as well as a night and day decrease in fan noise. This is only furthered with any standard M2 or M3 MacBook Air or 2-port 13-inch/14-inch MacBook Pro. The only thing about your use cases that might warrant an M2 Pro or M3 Pro is the ability to match the RAM capacity you currently have (as standard M1 tops at 16GB of RAM, while standard M2 and M3 top at 24GB of RAM). Otherwise, you ought to not really need a Pro variant.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you are already a MacBook Pro user -- and one who has found regular use for its assortment of ports -- then I predict you may find yourself less than happy with an "air" (and fewer ports).

My opinion only, and I could be wrong.

Reactions: Saturn007

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
The M2/M3 Airs reintroduce MagSafe charging. If you were previously using one port for charging your Intel then the new Airs will effectively only be a one port loss (but all the ports will be on one side which is a less convenient).

As long as RAM isn't currently your limiting factor an Air should serve you well.

Reactions: Saturn007

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Yes, the ports being on only one side will require an adjustment. As could the loss of other ports — SD card reader, HDMI out, Ethernet, etc.

The USB ports being on the left (as well as on only that side) is a nuisance, too. I'm typically plugging things into the right on my old Intel Mac. It's a bit of a nuisance having to go left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.