Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I just thought this was interesting, I'm seeing for the first time since 2006/07 people referring to their Macs with Intel in the name. Back then Intel Macs were quite new, so you'd say you had an Intel iMac to make the distinction. Now that Intel is being shifted out, that is returning. But now, it is being replaced.

I'd assume this time they will not change the name of any of their products, as they no longer indicate the kind of processor on the inside. Back when there was PowerBook and PowerMac, it made sense to change those because PowerPC was no more. Also, MacBook in particular carries such strong brand recognition that changing it would be a poor move. So now, for years to come we will again be referring to these products as Intel iMacs and Intel MacBooks.

Along with Rosetta and Universal coming back, this really is reminding me of a much different time for Macs and Apple. Watching with interest and caution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.