Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Hi. This might be a question answered elsewhere, but if so, I can't find the answer.

On the Intel Macs, there was a key combination (when starting up) that would allow the user to reinstall the original operating system through internet recovery. That is, even if the computer had Sonoma installed, but the originally installed OS was Ventura, you could install Ventura over the network.

I can't seem to find a way to do this on the Apple Silicon machines. Is there a way?

Thanks.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
It’s baked into Recovery on Apple Silicon Macs
I read through that article and couldn't find anything about reinstalling the original OS. Can you tell me where in the article it appears?

According to this post by Encryptor5000 on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255161644?answerId=259606198022&sortBy=best#259606198022 , it's not possible to do this using Recovery, and one must instead use either of these procedures if one wishes to downgrade from Sonoma in an Apple Silicon Mac:

1709186225647.png

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
it's not possible to do this using Recovery, and one must instead use either of these procedures if one wishes to downgrade from Sonoma in an Apple Silicon Mac
This is correct. The ability to downgrade isn’t possible without either creating a USB installer or using the DFU restore. The DFU restore will revert the Mac’s firmware and software back to whatever version of macOS you’re reinstalling, while a USB drive won’t do that.
There actually isn’t really an internet recovery function in Apple Silicon Macs, at least not in the way that it works on Intel.

Reactions: theorist9

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
I read through that article and couldn't find anything about reinstalling the original OS. Can you tell me where in the article it appears?

According to this post by Encryptor5000 on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255161644?answerId=259606198022&sortBy=best#259606198022 , it's not possible to do this using Recovery, and one must instead use either of these procedures if one wishes to downgrade from Sonoma in an Apple Silicon Mac:

View attachment 2354097
Does "a second Mac running macOS Monterey 12.4 or later" include Sonoma versions?

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Does "a second Mac running macOS Monterey 12.4 or later" include Sonoma versions?
I assume you're wondering if they meant "Monterey, 12.4 or later" or "Monterey 12.4 or later". I believe it's the latter, so you'd be fine with Sonoma.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes. In fact the most recent version of Apple Configurator 2 requires Sonoma. However, with a Mac that is running Sonoma, you can connect a Mac that’s in DFU mode and restore it without using Configurator at all.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Yes. In fact the most recent version of Apple Configurator 2 requires Sonoma. However, with a Mac that is running Sonoma, you can connect a Mac that’s in DFU mode and restore it without using Configurator at all.
About Apple Configurator 2... I tried to download Apple Configurator on my 2017 Mac running Ventura, but it said it wasn't compatible and that I needed to update my OS...but I can't...Ventura is the latest supported OS on that Mac.

To get around this, I had to "Get" (download/purchase) the app on my M3 Mac running Sonoma, and then go back to my 2017 Mac and download it from my purchase history. That ends up downloading the latest compatible version (2.16) for Ventura. Luckily I caught this now, otherwise I would have been screwed if my M3 Mac happened to be non-functional with no way to get the app into my purchase history.

Now that I have Apple Configurator (2.16) on my 2017 Mac, I assume it should be safe to restore my M3 Mac with it if the need ever arises? Or will it still require version 2.17 or newer to be able to handle restoring to the new M3 Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.