Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I know there's an evolution here and it doesn't bother me, but I can't see why people couldn't use a finger other than the one set up for Touch ID to see their lockscreen alerts and not worry about opening up their device before reading them.
Really hard.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
I know there's an evolution here and it doesn't bother me, but I can't see why people couldn't use a finger other than the one set up for Touch ID to see their lockscreen alerts and not worry about opening up their device before reading them.
Really hard.
Well I have 6 fingers registered so depending on which hand is being used and device orientation I can authenticate quickly. The remaining fingers are just awkward

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The brand-new 'Press Home To Unlock' feature of the lock screen is, if not "very much" confusing for most previous iPhone users, quite a complicated approach just to unlock the device.

I like the work you've put into this concept but I flat out do not agree that pressing the home button is confusing or complicated. At most it is different, and that's it.

The current prompt is just too small to notice, and sometimes hard to understand (Press Home To Unlock, then Press Home To Open). Compared to just swiping or tapping on the screen as used in almost all smartphones & tablets, 'Press Home To Unlock' is a bit odd, and even the label itself is not quite easy to get. Most people know that an iPhone, or an iOS device is pretty much unlocked with a slide. If not, with iOS 10, the user will start pressing everything, and possibly even ruin their workflow.

I haven't used slide to unlock since iOS 7 when TouchID was introduced on the iPhone 5s. To me, bringing back swipe to unlock is a step backwards.

Also, there's an accessibility setting that brings back the old functionality. It seems to be working for me, but not for others. I imagine future iOS 10 betas will fix the issue.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Honestly, people should just get over themselves. As said above, if pressing a button is too complicated for your brain cells and causes a complete mind fsck, then rather throw your damn phones away and go back to living in the dark ages. I can't believe what such whiny immature spoilt brats people have become. I honestly can't believe how many threads have to be dedicated to such moronic things. The human race is doomed.
Where do you draw the line? Apple was always about simplicity - thats what people loved about and thats what people want.
Where would YOU draw the line? Obviously not 2 presses. How about 3? or 4? Would that annoy you? After all its just 1 or 2 more that is now, no big deal right? So how about 10? Would you get upset if it was 10? Think about what you wrote for a second a see the bigger picture please.

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
Where do you draw the line? Apple was always about simplicity - thats what people loved about and thats what people want.
Where would YOU draw the line? Obviously not 2 presses. How about 3? or 4? Would that annoy you? After all its just 1 or 2 more that is now, no big deal right? So how about 10? Would you get upset if it was 10? Think about what you wrote for a second a see the bigger picture please.

Oh Em Gee!

There is an option called Rest to Unlock which is working in Beta 3. This allows the user to go back to the original iOS 9 method. Apple has given users the ability to CHOOSE which method they prefer.

I don't understand what the big deal is just press a flippen button!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Where would YOU draw the line? Obviously not 2 presses. How about 3? or 4? Would that annoy you? After all its just 1 or 2 more that is now, no big deal right? Where would YOU draw the line? Obviously not 2 presses. How about 3? or 4? Would that annoy you? After all its just 1 or 2 more that is now, no big deal right? So how about 10? Would you get upset if it was 10? Think about what you wrote for a second a see the bigger picture please.
Your argument holds little water since slide to unlock is also a 2 step process. Not only is it 2 steps but it is 2 different steps which means it is inherently more complicated than a simpler method of 2 consecutive pushes. So in fact Apple has made it simpler with the same number of steps involved. So in fact 2 press Home fulfills your statement of Apple being about simplicity over the more complex slide to unlock.

Also suggesting that 3, 4 or 10 presses is needed or acceptable is hyperbole.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Your argument holds little water since slide to unlock is also a 2 step process. Not only is it 2 steps but it is 2 different steps which means it is inherently more complicated than a simpler method of 2 consecutive pushes. So in fact Apple has made it simpler with the same number of steps involved. So in fact 2 press Home fulfills your statement of Apple being about simplicity over the more complex slide to unlock.

This is by far the most splendid reply I have ever seen! Great job!

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Even though I like the iOS 10 Beta 3 tap home button to unlock and open to homescreen, slide to unlock has got to be the best implementation ever. It was so crisp, clear and accurate that I still love that implementation from iOS 1 to iOS 6.

iOS 7 - 9 somehow made it less accurate and removed the fun and life out of it.

OP's concepts look slightly out of place. The design can be tweaked a bit to better fit iOS 10 style.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Oh Em Gee!

There is an option called Rest to Unlock which is working in Beta 3. This allows the user to go back to the original iOS 9 method. Apple has given users the ability to CHOOSE which method they prefer.

I don't understand what the big deal is just press a flippen button!
I know about that button but I was responding to your post and asked you something specific. So would you mind answering, please?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
This is by far the most splendid reply I have ever seen! Great job!
It is all what you are used to. If it had always been tap to unlock can you imagine the (legitimate) uproar at Apple for making it MORE complex by adding slide to unlock. In all likelihood slide to unlock was first used for a couple of reasons (simplicity NOT being one).
  • Touchscreen was relatively new (most all had flip or Blackberries) and it was a way of demonstrating how a touch screen worked
  • A little pretentious since Apple wanted the show off the new touch screen's look and abilities (it made great WOW demo)
In a year from now slide to unlock will look like an antiquated clumsy complex method and everyone will have moved on. (almost) No one will advocate iOS11 reinstate it.

Last edited:

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010

And again, in my history I was never an advocate for slide to unlock! I always wanted the rest to unlock (which now is there in beta 3 and works fine).
Regardless, in beta two you had to do extra step and seeing that the person i responded to said whats the big deal to press one more time I simply asked where does HE draw the line what is and isnt' acceptable.
So PLEASE, don't shift focus especially with something I haven't said.

No hyperbole there, just asking where the person would draw the line between being fine and not being fine. Because I'm sure he has one. Ok?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Even though I like the iOS 10 Beta 3 tap home button to unlock and open to homescreen, slide to unlock has got to be the best implementation ever. It was so crisp, clear and accurate that I still love that implementation from iOS 1 to iOS 6.

iOS 7 - 9 somehow made it less accurate and removed the fun and life out of it.

OP's concepts look slightly out of place. The design can be tweaked a bit to better fit iOS 10 style.
The only thing I can find from using iOS 1-6 "slide to unlock" is, when you want to use your device in a hurry, that implementation could only be my burden rather than anything else. To unlock the device I need to slide on specific areas to unlock. Ugh.
iOS 7 makes it easier by allowing user to unlock device through sliding on anywhere on lock screen. This is better than iOS 1-6 already.
Starting from iOS 7, with Touch ID, user can unlock device without the need to slide most of the time. Just rest finger on home button and boom, home screen.
In this iOS 10 beta 3, user can do the same thing as if they were still using iOS 9. All they need to do is flipping a switch in accessibility setting on. And voila! Old friends return. Can this be anywhere simpler? Maybe "raise to enter home screen"? Or use some futuristic tech to intelligently detect your thought and proactively unlock your device?
Nevertheless, current method is already simple enough.
If you don't mind you can elaborate how simple iOS 1-6 method is. I fail to understand it properly.

Oh, I forgot about one thing: accuracy. But still, pressing home button is far more accurate than slide a distance on screen.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
No, iOS 10 is perfect now with the 'Rest finger to unlock' feature. Slide to unlock served us good whilst it lasted.

tomi03

Suspended
Dec 8, 2015
Genève. Suisse
It's not complicated ffs, it's ****, just because Apple say it and this forum is full of blind people who loves a company that doesn't care their lives doesn't mean it's a a new era for all of us

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is all what you are used to. If it had always been tap to unlock can you imagine the (legitimate) uproar at Apple for making it MORE complex by adding slide to unlock. In all likelihood slide to unlock was first used for a couple of reasons (simplicity NOT being one).
  • Touchscreen was relatively new (most all had flip or Blackberries) and it was a way of demonstrating how a touch screen worked
  • A little pretentious since Apple wanted the show off the new touch screen's look and abilities (it made great WOW demo)
In a year from now slide to unlock will look like an antiquated clumsy complex method and everyone will have moved on. (almost) No one will advocate iOS11 reinstate it.
I think one of the big reasons for it has been to avoid accidental unlocking of the screen.
[doublepost=1468940227][/doublepost]
It's not complicated ffs, it's ****, just because Apple say it and this forum is full of blind people who loves a company that doesn't care their lives doesn't mean it's a a new era for all of us
Or, you know, there might actually be actual reasons why people might be fine with it or even prefer it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.