Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
Has anyone else noticed that Home Sharing is not working on iOS 11 after the 12.7 iTunes update? I can connect to the share and list the contents, but none will play. Eventually they will all timeout.

Apple TV 4 running tvOS 11 works perfectly fine (the Computers/Home Sharing app algo got some much needed updates), as well as Sierra running iTunes 12.7. So the issue seems to be affecting only iOS 11 to iTunes 12.7 connections.

I've tested and verified this with an iPhone 7, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4 and iPhone SE.

Reactions: slwiser

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I just tested playing some video from my iTunes library over home sharing and it worked.

iTunes 12.7 on a Mac running Sierra, iOS 11 on an iPhone 7+.

Either this bug isn't consistent, or you're doing something different than I am.

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
I just tested playing some video from my iTunes library over home sharing and it worked.

Either this bug isn't consistent, or you're doing something different than I am.

This is very strange. I've tested this in my household with an iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 6, iPad mini 4 and iPad Air 2, all running iOS 11. None of them can playback content from Home Sharing, but all Macs running iTunes 12.7 and Apple TV 4's running tvOS 11 can do so without problems.

Nipperserphil

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Cologne

Hi, what app are you using on your iOS 11 device to access your shared library? Videos or the new TV app?

In my region the TV app hasn't been released yet so I'm using the Videos app and I get exactly the same behaviour as the original poster.

I'm wondering if this feature is only broken in the Videos app in iOS 11.

I have since rolled my iPad back to iOS 10.3.3 and all works perfectly once again.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Has anyone else noticed that Home Sharing is not working on iOS 11 after the 12.7 iTunes update?

Yes, using the TV app on iOS 11 anything over a few hundred megabytes fails with a timeout error. Apple TVs seem to work fine.

A.

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
Hi, what app are you using on your iOS 11 device to access your shared library? Videos or the new TV app?

In my region the TV app hasn't been released yet so I'm using the Videos app and I get exactly the same behaviour as the original poster.

I'm wondering if this feature is only broken in the Videos app in iOS 11.

I have since rolled my iPad back to iOS 10.3.3 and all works perfectly once again.

Exactly. Using the Videos app as well since TV app is not available in my location either.

Yes, using the TV app on iOS 11 anything over a few hundred megabytes fails with a timeout error. Apple TVs seem to work fine.

A.

Can't really try TV app on iOS, but Apple TVs work perfectly fine.

popcorn-in-sac

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Seattle, WA area
Using the TV app here as well. I also found that if I selected a very short (small) video, it will play fine, but anything larger gets the time-out.

10.3.3 was also perfect for me - none of these issues until iOS 11. I did report this issue during the public beta period, but never received any feedback/contact from Apple.

I get the same behavior on both a 10.5" iPad Pro and the new iPhone 8...no difference.

Not related to videos, but home sharing, the Music app also behaves poorly in iOS 11. It does work playing music, but the album art doesn't show up until scrolling occurs, feels very slow/sluggish, etc. Nothing like how it worked in 10.3.3.

Reactions: GuilleA

classicalbear

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Wow they released an update for iOS11 the bug is still there, stupid. I missed the days where Apple released an OS with no bugs...

Nipperserphil

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Cologne
Wow they released an update for iOS11 the bug is still there, stupid. I missed the days where Apple released an OS with no bugs...
Yep, can confirm that this is still broken in 11.0.1
I also updated my iTunes host Macbook to High Sierra in the hope that this was the magic bullet ... but nope. Still the same issue.

Last edited:

classicalbear

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Yep, can confirm that this is still broken in 11.0.1
I also updated my iTunes host Macbook to High Sierra in the hope that this was the magic bullet ... but nope. Still the same issue.
I did the same thing... and stupid, I have an iPad Air (first version) can't use almost any new feature... so in the end, there was no reason to update to 11. Even High Sierra, nothing that great... mostly useless updates... Great Apple, if there is nothing new skip the updates...

Nipperserphil

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Cologne
Can also confirm still broken in iOS 11.1

One change I do see however in 11.1 is that the artwork for the shared library video now loads on the iOS device quite normally. So something has been changed there. Seems incredible however that video streaming remains bust.

I was in an Apple Store in the UK on Thursday and asked an employee when this would be fixed. His reply was that he has never heard of this issue and I should make sure I have updated to iOS 11.03 .... I just had to laugh and leave.

Reactions: macfacts

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires

One change I do see however in 11.1 is that the artwork for the shared library video now loads on the iOS device quite normally. So something has been changed there. Seems incredible however that video streaming remains bust.

I was in an Apple Store in the UK on Thursday and asked an employee when this would be fixed. His reply was that he has never heard of this issue and I should make sure I have updated to iOS 11.03 .... I just had to laugh and leave.

Yes, I noticed this as well. Artwork loads faster but video is still unplayable.
I've sent 6 bug reports regarding this problem.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

When you told the employee about the problem, did he record or write it down anywhere?

Nipperserphil

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Cologne
When you told the employee about the problem, did he record or write it down anywhere?

Nope ... nothing. TBH I was more astounded that the employee seemed to have no knowledge of the actual iOS version. That's when I knew I was wasting my time. When I get my 'how was my experience mail' I'll make sure they know.

I have already filed a bug report online (as have others here) and received no feedback whatsoever. There is also a discussion on the apple support forum too, so someone at Apple must be aware of this.

Fortunately I restored my iPad Pro to 10.3.3 whilst I could. So sharing works on that device. I left my phone on 11 to check that this gets fixed before updating the iPad again.

Last edited:

Nipperserphil

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Cologne
11.1.1 installed and still having problems, although now a couple videos do actually start playing. It's really weird though. I have no idea what the difference is between the ones that play and the rest. It seems totally random.

Anyway, according to a couple of posters on a discussion over on the Apple community forums, the home sharing problems seem to be resolved in 11.2 beta2

Fingers crossed that this is true.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've been using Home Sharing from my iMac with iOS 11 devices (I checked them all for sake of this thread) without a problem.

I've had this problem in the past and found turning off Home Sharing in iTunes (File > Home Sharing > Turn off....) and then back on has fixed the issue.

IMG_3009.PNG

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
I've been using Home Sharing from my iMac with iOS 11 devices (I checked them all for sake of this thread) without a problem.

I've had this problem in the past and found turning off Home Sharing in iTunes (File > Home Sharing > Turn off....) and then back on has fixed the issue.

View attachment 734187

This is good to hear, although the problem is with the Videos app (not the TV app). Can you check whether you can playback some videos using Home Sharing or not?

Last edited:

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Home sharing has been iffy for me on iOS 11 and iTunes 12.7. It works the majority of the time but I’ve had occasions where it just died for hours to come back

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This is good to hear, although the problem is with the Videos app (not the TV app). Can you check whether you can playback some videos using Home Sharing or not?

Sorry about that, that was for Music.app. I have the TV app (US) not videos though. With the TV app I can home share my videos from my iMac (MacOS 10.13.1 and iTunes 12.7.1.14) to my iOS devices (iOS 11.1.1) without a problem.

Something to note though. Initially with the TV.app AND Videos.app (before we had the TV.app) the only way I could make Home Sharing work on iOS devices was to have 1 movie (any movie) downloaded onto the device. If I didn't do that Home Sharing would not even pop up as an option. That "solution" seemed to fix the same problem for a lot of people on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.