Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nipperserphil

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Cologne
I can confirm that this is indeed fixed in iOS 11.2 beta 2 :)

I finally caved in and installed the public beta on my iPhone 6s, and home sharing is now working perfectly once again. Checked loads of movies and TV shows (both iTunes purchases & self ripped ones) and all stream to the iOS device normally.

Phew !!!

Now we just have to hope that this remains fixed once 11.2 comes out of beta. Only then will I dare to update my iPad.

P.S. the whole system feels quicker and smoother too.

Reactions: GuilleA

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
This is such great news! I also hope it sticks throughout the betas and that it wasn't just accidentally fixed.

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
Good news :)
I just enrolled my SE to the beta program and updated to 11.2 Beta 2. I can also confirm that Home Sharing now plays videos as it used to, so fingers crossed this fix gets to the final release.

I do have another issue with this SE though. It seems that it is not loading all the Home Sharing content. Just a limited selection of movies and tv shows. No matter what I do (sign out of Home Sharing, remove Videos app and installing it again, rebooting the iPhone), it's not loading all the content (certainly not the latest). This does not happen on my 7, which correctly shows ALL content.

Nipperserphil

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Cologne
Good news :)
I just enrolled my SE to the beta program and updated to 11.2 Beta 2. I can also confirm that Home Sharing now plays videos as it used to, so fingers crossed this fix gets to the final release.

I do have another issue with this SE though. It seems that it is not loading all the Home Sharing content. Just a limited selection of movies and tv shows. No matter what I do (sign out of Home Sharing, remove Videos app and installing it again, rebooting the iPhone), it's not loading all the content (certainly not the latest). This does not happen on my 7, which correctly shows ALL content.

That's strange. I'm running a 6s to test this, which is essentially the same hardware as the SE, and all content appears to be there for me. I wonder if there is a library size limit taking effect here(?).

For info my video library contains 135 movies & 945 TV episodes.

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
That's strange. I'm running a 6s to test this, which is essentially the same hardware as the SE, and all content appears to be there for me. I wonder if there is a library size limit taking effect here(?).

For info my video library contains 135 movies & 945 TV episodes.

Yes, it's really strange. At least I know video playback works again. Seems I can't win them all.

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
I just erased and re-configured my SE to see if it'd be fixed. It wasn't. Even after a full reset and set it up as new, Videos still won't load all Home Sharing content as seen by my other devices. Weird.

jquest68

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2016
Georgia
I've posted a thread regarding Apple TV not picking up Home Sharing. I am not able to watch my downloaded videos through Home Sharing.

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
I've posted a thread regarding Apple TV not picking up Home Sharing. I am not able to watch my downloaded videos through Home Sharing.

I've no issues with my Apple TVs, both 3rd. and 4th. gen. In the 4's I don't have access to TV.app so I uses Computers, but they pick up my iTunes library without problems. Have you tried signing out of Home Sharing and signing back in?

immigrantsong

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Macon, GA
I can confirm that this is indeed fixed in iOS 11.2 beta 2 :)

I finally caved in and installed the public beta on my iPhone 6s, and home sharing is now working perfectly once again. Checked loads of movies and TV shows (both iTunes purchases & self ripped ones) and all stream to the iOS device normally.

Phew !!!

Now we just have to hope that this remains fixed once 11.2 comes out of beta. Only then will I dare to update my iPad.

P.S. the whole system feels quicker and smoother too.

I was SO excited to read that because Home Sharing for ripped movies, tv shows and home videos has been badly broken and unreliable for a while now when trying watch anything from my iMac via my iPhone, iPad or iPad mini. But no problems with ATV.

So, I installed the public beta for 11.2 on my iPad mini....and now...the TV app will not play ANYTHING. Not even purchased movies directly from the iTunes Store. You press on the play icon/button....and absolutely nothing happens.

And yeah...I’ve done all the steps of rebooting everything, signing out and back in for Home Sharing, and so on....

So at least on my iPad mini, the problems are now worse. Aarghhh.

I’ve said this before...it’s as if they lose the source code and have to start from scratch ...with a group of brand new interns who’ve never seen or used the TV app or the Videos app, and never test the end result.

Sorry for the rant. But this kind of major inconsistency and “going backward” in functionality with Home Sharing has been going on now for a few years. And it seems to just be getting worse.

Ok, steam released now.

Reactions: GuilleA

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
I was SO excited to read that because Home Sharing for ripped movies, tv shows and home videos has been badly broken and unreliable for a while now when trying watch anything from my iMac via my iPhone, iPad or iPad mini. But no problems with ATV.

So, I installed the public beta for 11.2 on my iPad mini....and now...the TV app will not play ANYTHING. Not even purchased movies directly from the iTunes Store. You press on the play icon/button....and absolutely nothing happens.

And yeah...I’ve done all the steps of rebooting everything, signing out and back in for Home Sharing, and so on....

So at least on my iPad mini, the problems are now worse. Aarghhh.

I’ve said this before...it’s as if they lose the source code and have to start from scratch ...with a group of brand new interns who’ve never seen or used the TV app or the Videos app, and never test the end result.

Sorry for the rant. But this kind of major inconsistency and “going backward” in functionality with Home Sharing has been going on now for a few years. And it seems to just be getting worse.

Ok, steam released now.

That sucks. What iPad mini is it? is it the 4? As I said before I don't have access to TV app unless I switch the OS locale, so I only have Videos app on the iPhone and Computers app on the Apple TVs

BTW, I just updated to Beta 3 and Home Sharing videos are still playing, so far so good.

egeek84

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Northern California
dude just wanted to say thank you, I was having the same issue with home sharing last week and I remember being annoyed and giving up on it and I just saw this thread and tried it out on the latest beta and it works perfectly now. WOOT

Reactions: Nipperserphil

immigrantsong

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Macon, GA
That sucks. What iPad mini is it? is it the 4? As I said before I don't have access to TV app unless I switch the OS locale, so I only have Videos app on the iPhone and Computers app on the Apple TVs

BTW, I just updated to Beta 3 and Home Sharing videos are still playing, so far so good.

It’s the IPad Mini 2. So maybe it’s due to the RAM size on it. But doing the update to Beta 3 now. Will see if there’s any change.

(I have an IPad Pro 9.7 also, but didn’t want to run the Beta on it. )
[doublepost=1510626217][/doublepost]Just finished installing Beta 3 to my iPad Mini 3. But still the same behavior as for Beta 2:

Cannot play any movie or tv show at all from the TV app. I press on the play icon/button and it will not play. Doesn’t even try. My press on the play/icon visibly “registers”, but nothing happens.

This is even for movies which were downloaded to the iPad mini in the TV app. Press and press and press and the screen/UI just sits there.

Really bizarre.

Last edited:

immigrantsong

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Macon, GA
I went ahead and installed the 11.2 Beta 3 on my iPad Pro 9.7. And it indeed does seem to resolve many/most of the Home Sharing problems.

Played/streamed a number of Handbrake ripped movies and tv shows which are on my iMac in iTunes. They all started right up...instead of either going into limbo or “request timed out” or “could not load video” (which is what has been happening most of the time).

Also let them play for about 15 minutes each to make sure they didn’t crash/dropped connection after 3-4 minutes (which had also become quite common).

There was one “crash” though which occurred with a “home video”. It was an 8 minute clip, but the streaming crapped out about halfway through. When I tried to play it again immediately after that, encountered the dreaded “could not load video” message.

But then after that, tried a couple other ripped moves and they did fine.

So, 11.2 does appear to be a big improvement for Home Sharing in the TV app.

YMMV of course.

Reactions: Nipperserphil

Nipperserphil

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Cologne
Now running 11.2 beta 4 on my 6S and all continues to work perfectly for me.

I'm not installing a beta version on my iPad Pro though. That will remain on 10.3.3 until I'm sure that this issue remains fixed on the full 11.2 release.

Hoping that Apple don't cock this up somehow before then!

joetavola

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
It sucks, the only way the library of my movies show up is if I sync at least one home movie onto the device... what a joke workaround!! Was perfect before... even loading on Apple TV 4 gets spinning wheel until you back out choose another movie then it works.

Nipperserphil

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Cologne
I can confirm that the final release of 11.2 fixed Home Sharing and Videos app. :)

All good for me too with 11.2 on my 6S :)

Still a little nervous about putting this on my ipad just yet. This is still running 10.3.3 .... I know once I update that there will be no way back.... gulp.
This had better work ;)

Cancelled
Dec 8, 2017
I can confirm that the final release of 11.2 fixed Home Sharing and Videos app. :)
Did it fix the issue wirh the SE as well. I am having the same issue with my 5s. Not all content is shown. I’m running the final release version of 11.2.

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
Did it fix the issue wirh the SE as well. I am having the same issue with my 5s. Not all content is shown. I’m running the final release version of 11.2.

No. It did not. No matter what I do, my SE will not show all the content (certainly not the latest)

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
Still not fixed for me, submitted this to Apple Bug Reporter:

Summary: Cannot view shared iTunes Library content on any iOS 11 device in Music, or TV app

Steps to Reproduce:

* Activate Home Sharing on current iTunes version in High Sierra or Windows 10 with desired Apple ID

* Activate Home Sharing on iOS 11.x.x device with same Apple ID in Music, and/or TV settings

* Open either Music or TV app on said iOS device, attempt to view shared library in Library menu

Expected Results: Can view and select shared iTunes library

Actual Results: Shared iTunes library not available for selection

Version/Build: iOS 11.x.x

Configuration:
MacBook Pro /w Touch Bar 2016, MacOS 10.13, iTunes 12.7.x; Windows PC /w iTunes 12.5.3.17

iPad Pro 12.9 inch 2017, iPad Pro 12.9 inch 2016, iPhone SE, iPhone X, iPhone 7 Plus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.