Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
So IOS 11 has completely crippled my iphone 5S. Everything has slowed to a crawl. The phone lags constantly. The screen freezes for long periods of time. The phone completely reboots often. Apps crash, the phone crashes, everything is now completely miserable. Not to mention that less than 24 hours after updating, my battery swelled up and had to be immediately replaced. I should say the phone was working 100% perfectly well before the update.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Is that possible? And advised? I've heard trying it bricked some phones. And how do you do it anyway? Are others having the same problems and is this the best solution? What's the consensus?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is that possible? And advised? I've heard trying it bricked some phones. And how do you do it anyway? Are others having the same problems and is this the best solution? What's the consensus?

You can roll back to 10.3.3 before it's no longer being signed. It Has to be completed through iTunes.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So IOS 11 has completely crippled my iphone 5S. Everything has slowed to a crawl. The phone lags constantly. The screen freezes for long periods of time. The phone completely reboots often. Apps crash, the phone crashes, everything is now completely miserable. Not to mention that less than 24 hours after updating, my battery swelled up and had to be immediately replaced. I should say the phone was working 100% perfectly well before the update.
Something went wrong with the install it seems. Might be worth reinstalling. Going back to iOS 10 is an option as well (for now at least).

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
It is completely up to you whether downgrading is a good idea. It won't brick your phone but it does require a backup from iOS 10 if you want to keep your app data. Just be advised that downgrading is only available for a limited time. Here's a link on how It's done: http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/20/downgrade-ios-11-to-ios-10-iphone-ipad/

drysdalk

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2014

Hi,

It might be worth you trying a DFU mode re-install of iOS 11 in iTunes first, and see if that helps. My iPad Pro 9.7" was behaving terribly: random resprings, taking about six seconds to unlock, and huge lag and sluggish performance all over in general. Last night I took an encrypted backup in iTunes, did a DFU re-install of the 11.1 beta image, and restored my backup. After that all these problems went away, and it's been as smooth as butter and behaving like I'd expect an iPad Pro to, performance-wise. So this couldbe something you might want to try before you put 10.3.3 back on, as you'd have to use iTunes to do it anyway.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
My 5S I have for work was having a tough time on iOS 11. I did an iCloud backup/device wipe/iCloud restore, and it is running MUCH better. Granted, I was on the last few betas with it as well, to test some work-specific apps, so it may have been something to do with the beta cycle, but either way it is running good for what it is (4 year old hardware).

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I have upgraded my 5S to iOS 11 via iTunes and it is running smooth so far. This isn’t going to help you now, but just letting you know it should run iOS 11 without problems.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Hmm I also would try to reinstall. iOS 11 feels better on my 5S than it does on my Air 2.

Renegade72

Suspended
Oct 5, 2017
Europe
I have upgraded my wife's 5S two days ago and performance wise it's ok (not noticeably different from iOS 10.3).
Battery life definitely is reduced by about 15%. I hope Apple will address this point.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Hi,

It might be worth you trying a DFU mode re-install of iOS 11 in iTunes first, and see if that helps. My iPad Pro 9.7" was behaving terribly: random resprings, taking about six seconds to unlock, and huge lag and sluggish performance all over in general. Last night I took an encrypted backup in iTunes, did a DFU re-install of the 11.1 beta image, and restored my backup. After that all these problems went away, and it's been as smooth as butter and behaving like I'd expect an iPad Pro to, performance-wise. So this couldbe something you might want to try before you put 10.3.3 back on, as you'd have to use iTunes to do it anyway.

Questions: What is DFU? And does installing the latest updates work the same as a reinstall? Or I still need to do a total reinstall? And should I reinstall the latest update or stick with 11.1? And for the reinstall, is iCloud backup/device wipe/iCloud restore recommended? And what method to use to wipe the phone? Thank you all! This has been a helpful thread and hopefully will work.

drysdalk

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2014
Questions: What is DFU? And does installing the latest updates work the same as a reinstall? Or I still need to do a total reinstall? And should I reinstall the latest update or stick with 11.1? And for the reinstall, is iCloud backup/device wipe/iCloud restore recommended? And what method to use to wipe the phone? Thank you all! This has been a helpful thread and hopefully will work.

Hi,

DFU mode is Device Firmware Update mode. Basically it's as close to a format and re-install as you can get in the iOS world. It bypasses the boot loader and re-creates everything it's possible to re-create from scratch, essentially over-writing the current contents of your iPhone's OS storage with a clean OS image. It's not actually as scary as it might sound, however, and is an entirely Apple-supported method of re-installing iOS via iTunes.

The basic procedure would be:

1. Connect your iPhone up to iTunes in the normal way.
2. Whilst still connected to iTunes, hold down the power and home buttons on your iPhone simultaneously.
3. Keep holding both buttons for ten seconds. You will find after a few seconds the screen goes blank.
4. After the ten seconds have elapsed, let go of the power button, but keep holding the home button.
5. iTunes should eventually report it has found a device in Recovery Mode, but the screen of your iPhone will stay blank.

At that point, you can let go of the home button on your phone. In iTunes, click the Restore button, and iTunes will re-install your iPhone. Note that this will entirely wipe everything in local storage, and basically make your iPhone factory-fresh again. So if you want to keep anything that's currently on it, make sure you have a known good backup before doing any of this. Once the iPhone is re-installed you'll have an option of restoring either an iTunes or iCloud backup, or setting your iPhone up as new.

Hope this helps !

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Hi,

DFU mode is Device Firmware Update mode. Basically it's as close to a format and re-install as you can get in the iOS world. It bypasses the boot loader and re-creates everything it's possible to re-create from scratch, essentially over-writing the current contents of your iPhone's OS storage with a clean OS image. It's not actually as scary as it might sound, however, and is an entirely Apple-supported method of re-installing iOS via iTunes.

The basic procedure would be:

1. Connect your iPhone up to iTunes in the normal way.
2. Whilst still connected to iTunes, hold down the power and home buttons on your iPhone simultaneously.
3. Keep holding both buttons for ten seconds. You will find after a few seconds the screen goes blank.
4. After the ten seconds have elapsed, let go of the power button, but keep holding the home button.
5. iTunes should eventually report it has found a device in Recovery Mode, but the screen of your iPhone will stay blank.

At that point, you can let go of the home button on your phone. In iTunes, click the Restore button, and iTunes will re-install your iPhone. Note that this will entirely wipe everything in local storage, and basically make your iPhone factory-fresh again. So if you want to keep anything that's currently on it, make sure you have a known good backup before doing any of this. Once the iPhone is re-installed you'll have an option of restoring either an iTunes or iCloud backup, or setting your iPhone up as new.

Hope this helps !

Hi - today my 5S turned into the slow, laggy, pausing, impossible-to-use iPhone that my 4 was when I "upgraded" to iOS 7. Can I verify my understanding of your above suggestion:

1. backup my iPhone to iTunes
2. follow your suggestions 1-5 above
3. restore my iPhone via iTunes

In other words, my step 3 above won't undo your suggestion, right?

And - would you know if restoring using iMazing instead of iTunes would be equally effective?

Thanks!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Hi - today my 5S turned into the slow, laggy, pausing, impossible-to-use iPhone that my 4 was when I "upgraded" to iOS 7. Can I verify my understanding of your above suggestion:

1. backup my iPhone to iTunes
2. follow your suggestions 1-5 above
3. restore my iPhone via iTunes

In other words, my step 3 above won't undo your suggestion, right?

And - would you know if restoring using iMazing instead of iTunes would be equally effective?

Thanks!
Turned into a slow, laggy, pausing, impossibile-to-use iphone on what version.? On ios 11.3b1 5s is flying. Both of the them.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
11.2.2. Went to look and realized 11.2.5 is available. Saw no notification of 11.2.5 until I went to look for it.

Will give that a try and see. Hoping this isn’t a sign of battery doom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.