Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
It is well known Google pixel devices get regular updates but sales of pixel devices are not good compared to other Android devices. This to me shows that os updates are not a high priority for most. :eek:

Google make limited amounts, on limited carriers, in limited countries. In other words, no, no it doesn’t.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Google make limited amounts, on limited carriers, in limited countries. In other words, no, no it doesn’t.
And even in those countries Pixel is nowhere close to bein a chart topper on those limited carriers it's available on.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
No one cares about updates on Android all that much except for iOS users which is why Samsungs sell so much more. They also don’t have to deal with planned obsolescence as a result.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
No one cares about updates on Android all that much except for iOS users which is why Samsungs sell so much more. They also don’t have to deal with planned obsolescence as a result.
iPad is the #1 selling tablet tho, and planned obsolescence isn’t a thing. Apple does not release a tablet and say okay guys this one gets 3 years, this one gets 5 years it doesn’t work that way.
[doublepost=1511071141][/doublepost]
Gosh, I know. The Pentium/Celeron early days were horrible. At least now the slowest computer is still fast.
No it’s not though we still sell Celeron and Penguin laptops unfortunately :(:D:eek:

hfuria

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
I own iPar Air and since iOS 7.1.2 I haven't updated further. That's why it never became slow. It's the key point: never upgrade your firmware to major version.

legomite

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
Has anybody tested gaming performance? It's May, and they're almost going to announce iOS 12 but I haven't updated the Air to 11 yet , it's my primary tablet and I use it for programming and playing games. Minecraft is pretty much the only game I do play, but it's getting increasingly slower with each major update.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It is well known Google pixel devices get regular updates but sales of pixel devices are not good compared to other Android devices. This to me shows that os updates are not a high priority for most. :eek:

Even a Pixel only gets 3 years of updates. A Pixel tablet wouldn’t have the latest update if it came out when the Air 1 did.

Reactions: gobikerider
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.