Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
sure let.'s. here is some reality for you

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/10/s...-update-triggers-excessive-battery-drain/amp/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8423490

https://www.techtimes.com/amp/artic...tery-drain-problem-does-ios-11-4-1-fix-it.htm

there are MANY more.. read the comments and see that the stupid: restart the phone, restore the phone and the like.. does NOT work for the majority of users.

and why is it That if "only" 20% (a minority) experience the issue, then it's not an issue?.. it might be a minority.. but its A PROBLEM.

Maybe there was something with 11.4 that was causing some phones to lose batter faster than normal. We'll probably never know this. It appears it was still relatively isolated and seeing as we haven't heard any more about it that it's not a problem with 11.4.1.

You really need to stop exaggerating numbers when you make an argument. 50-60% worse battery life is absurd realistically it probably drained 10% faster than normal. 20% of active iPhones as your example is absurd and yes that is a huge problem. It's actually about 140 million users based on this article's count of 700million active iPhone users. My guess is that this problem is more likely isolated to a true minority and honestly probably effects < 1% of active devices somewhere in the hundreds of thousands to single digit millions.

I'm not saying that your phone doesn't have a problem, what I'm saying is that you can't generalize your experience to the entire population.

hrhansen

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
I will point you to my above post: #9

If it was truly an issue, we would know about it and Apple would have addressed it by now, almost 2 months later. The more likely issue is your phone battery. Your claim of 50-60% less battery life is absurd.

And here I thought this was a serious forum.. well well.. my battery health is detected as 88% by ios.. it was 92% when I upgraded.. oh. and how can you comment on what is absurd??!! are you serious?.. do you think YOU can judge my facts?.. I've measured stand by and use time since the upgrade.. in my company survey 56 out of 81 iPhone 6-6s users reported the SAME issue.. so please dont tell me what is right on facts thst you can't now anything about.. Jesus.

but ok. you actually believe that Apple is honest..and always fixes known issues.. LOL.. well. then you are not the one that I will trust :),. I know what happened to me.. 55 of my colleagues.. and many others that I've talked to on other forums.. but have a nice day.. I don't think we will agree on anything as I need a dialog .. exchange of experiences.. not someone who just claims he knows everything better, and try to make those with a diffenrent experience sound stupid. Bye bye.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
And here I thought this was a serious forum.. well well.. my battery health is detected as 88% by ios.. it was 92% when I upgraded.. oh. and how can you comment on what is absurd??!! are you serious?.. do you think YOU can judge my facts?.. I've measured stand by and use time since the upgrade.. in my company survey 56 out of 81 iPhone 6-6s users reported the SAME issue.. so please dont tell me what is right on facts thst you can't now anything about.. Jesus.

but ok. you actually believe that Apple is honest..and always fixes known issues.. LOL.. well. then you are not the one that I will trust :),. I know what happened to me.. 55 of my colleagues.. and many others that I've talked to on other forums.. but have a nice day.. I don't think we will agree on anything as I need a dialog .. exchange of experiences.. not someone who just claims he knows everything better, and try to make those with a diffenrent experience sound stupid. Bye bye.

If your phone is down to 88% health, that is your problem right there. A battery is consumed once it reaches 80% health. You thus have used 60% of your battery's health. Your issue is your battery, not iOS. Your claim of 50-60% is completely absurd and you have zero way to back up that claim. There has never been an iOS update in history that caused battery performance to be cut in half, thats just silly. So no, I am not judging facts because you have not provided me with any. Hearsay is not factual. Occam's razor suggest your companies iPhones are old and need new batteries. Nothing more.

hrhansen

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
If your phone is down to 88% health, that is your problem right there. A battery is consumed once it reaches 80% health. You thus have used 60% of your battery's health. Your issue is your battery, not iOS. Your claim of 50-60% is completely absurd and you have zero way to back up that claim. There has never been an iOS update in history that caused battery performance to be cut in half, thats just silly. So no, I am not judging facts because you have not provided me with any. Hearsay is not factual. Occam's razor suggest your companies iPhones are old and need new batteries. Nothing more.
thanks for your input.. it was 92% when I upgraded.. before the update the battery easily made a full work day. after the update it was around 5-7 hours of normal use!.. so yes. I will change the battery next week.. but it's still an update that instantly cut my battery time in half :-/..

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
How much time will it take after this update to make sure the battery issues from the iOS 11 fiasco are fixed?

I haven't left iOS 10.3.2 yet, using the IPP 10.5. I remember moving to iOS 11 in the old IPP 9.7 (from 2016) and not being able to make it last through the entire day... it amazes me how there are still battery denialists to this date. Do these people really believe Apple would willingly admit planned obsolescence? That would be bad for business.

Reactions: hrhansen

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
batter health dropped 1 % since update to GM version
Ignore it: battery health fluctuates constantly. Unless you notice a drop in actual usage, don't worry (I must say, it is generally the case with iOS updates. Whether iOS 12 is an exception or not remains to be seen).

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
My 6s would drain completely overnight while in standby on 11.4. The first morning after updating it was at 2% after being fully charged the previous evening. This problem persisted intermittently for several weeks before it spontaneously resolved. There were a few threads on this with similar reports. Didn't have any issues with 11.4.1 which seemed to improve battery life a bit. It remains to be seen how 12 performs.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I guess that judging from these comments nothing changed.

Cassive
:

I installed the GM on my iPhone X and I’ve noticed my battery is dying quicker

Niraj Raj Kharel:

The battery life on my iOS 12 GM version running iPhone SE is seriously very less. Even the standby has reduced considerably. I’m so annoyed at this; Apple takes a one step forward but two steps back.

>>>>>>>>>>
Carlos Vázquez:

Niraj Raj Kharel, I have an iPhone SE on iOS 11.4.1 and I was thinking to upgrade to iOS 12, so you don’t recommend since the battery life is worst?

Niraj Raj Kharel:

Carlos Vázquez, Yes. Please wait for the 12.1 update which probably will change things. Now the battery optimization is a mess. I regret updating. Dont make the same mistake I made!

Shane Sparky:

Downgrade while you can and wait it out for iOS 12.0.1 maybe? Sadly you need a computer to downgrade. Good luck!

Gurpreet Singh:

Not possible brother ios 12 hasn’t been released yet and the beta of every ios is not battery efficient than the public released software

>>>>>>>>

iAppleBytes:

iOS 12 GM has been released. The GM version is not a beta version, but normally the release that will go final. The build number of the GM is 16A366, and unless Apple finds a last minute bug, this is the build that will be released to the public later today.

Cyril TV:

Hopefully apple will improve the battery issue in ios13

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chenchi Zheng:

Cyril TV, no they won’t, they have planned obsolescence so only newer devices won’t be affected

Leon Bellingan:

So battery life is worse, as expected. Battery life was a disaster on iOS 11.0.0. but was improved after 11.1.0. Think I'll wait for 12.1.0.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Chenchi Zheng:

Leon Bellingan, nah, if I was you I wouldn’t update anymore, primarily because Apple’s products have planned obsolescence so the battery life from the older generations will be even worse

GEN NEW ONE VIdeOS:

6s is desaster in battery after ios 12

>>>>>>>>>>>

Freie Meinungserung:

GEN NEW ONE VIdeOS, iphone 6 is worse.. 24 min less

Samuel James:

GEN NEW ONE VIdeOS, thanks. I’ll keep my iPhone 6s Plus on 11.3

GEN NEW ONE VIdeOS:

I feel the same

Mic Geneva:

I have iPhone 7 on iOS 12 GM.

I have read a lot people worrying about battery draining issue, which has a 10% decrease according to this video.

However, this is under heavy loading test mode, and when iOS 12 has better performance, I suspect that iOS 12 utilized more potential of iPhone 7, which caused more battery usage.

If you do care about battery time, go to your settings and do tweaks such as settings mails to "fetch hourly" for all your email accounts, turn off almost all privacy locations services, analysis, etc. Also for screen off mode I doubt iOS 12 would have significant shorter time than iOS 11.4.1.

All I am saying is, do not judge based on one video, especially one test.

To most people, better user experience is worth more than 10 minutes battery life.

He that meets me meets A terrible fate:

I might have found the problem in iOS 12 batter drain so I when into my settings and turned off screen time and tested my iPhone X battery life it seems that I am getting 10 hours and 60 minutes with it of course just watching YouTube and searching the web plus light gaming so my battery went from 4 hours to 10 that’s a big jump so screen time is the problem.

Michal Ozga:

They can’t do anything right anymore.

>>>>>>>>>

Vyce Versa:
They don’t want to !! It’s on purpose to get you to buy the new iPhones .. greed is what’s driving it

Mike Cobweb:
Man, I was planning on updating my 7 Plus finally from 10.3.3 to 12, but looks like it will be a no again :(

>>>>>>>>>

Aaron Sharpe:
Once again Apple failing

Rio Ramadhan:
Stay in 10.3.3 mate

Cyril TV:
Mike Cobweb damn you have the patience of a monk!

Leon Bellingan:
Mike I envy you, I regretted "downgrading" to 11 since last year. I tried rolling back to 10, but Apple made it impossible to roll back, once you have it you're stuck with it. I miss the extra keys in the landscape keyboard, and the much better battery life.

Cyril TV:
Leon Bellingan does that mean if I update to 12, I won’t be able to come back to 11.4.1? I read somewhere about some ipsw file to restore!?

Leon Bellingan:
Cyril I also read about it last year and tried it many different ways, one google search after another. No luck whatsoever, and believe me, I tried.

Souheil Sh:

damn i was waiting iOS 12 to improve battery life but i guess not, im on iPhone 7Plus iOS 11.3.1 and battery is trash in that firmware.

Stefan C:

Dang, that's really disappointing. Maybe that's how they got better performance.

Evpatiy:

Ahaha no illusions, Apple would never make iOS better than previous one, especially for older device. Tim wanna get your money....

Владислав Медведев:

Best firmware is 10.3.3. Apple dont understand that battery life is very important. Apple can not make good firmwares with nice work time and performance

>>>>>>>>>

Jeb Loves Conspiracy: its because tim cook is greedy af

ibarrena:

You have to wait and not run the test after you upgrade the iOS. Wait a few days because the system is indexing and performance and battery life may be affected.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

iAppleBytes:

I have done tests on this, and it does do some indexing, but it takes about one hour max, then the CPU idles again and stays idle. So this myth with slower performance the first few days is what it is, a myth

ibarrena:
Well, I’m getting better battery life on iOS12, so maybe Geekbench is not that good for this test.

iAppleBytes:

Cool, to be honest I never notice any increase or decrease . In this video the difference is less than 20 minutes on a 3 hour high intensity processor run. Then it gets more obvious, under normal use I doubt most people would notice. But never the less it is still there.

kemal keza:

battery life might have decreased insignificantly but performance has inproved significantly, maybe it will last longer in cpu/gpu heavy games, also new features probably also add to the drain, which can probably be disabled

>>>>>>>>>

Freie Meinungsäußerung:
insignificantly? On the iPhone 6 24 min or 13% less

Well, I think it's safe to assume we should stick with the iOS the device came with.

In my case, the iPAD Pro 10.5 came with iOS 10.3.2, so any new version made available after its release date does not reflect the best interests of the device. What I am trying to explain is that if we attempt to put newer versions of Windows in old PCs they will simply become slower (if they work at all), or in this case we may not notice any slowdowns, in fact the opposite, but less battery during the day and we will need to replace it sooner than expected.

And of course Apple will profit either way, even if I don't want to buy a new iPAD or iPhone I'll still have to pay for a new battery, and will continue to do that and thinking the device is s.hit because it can't last as it used to.

So what good will that do (especially in countries where battery replacement is not cheap)? What if tomorrow Apple releases a new device that can last 15, 20 hours?

The battery degradation I already ascertained that fluctuates over time (the measurement will not be the same in every single time we open the apps), but it's always within a specific range. When I changed from iOS 10 to 11 in the IPP 9.7 (2016 first version) I noticed after months that I needed to recharge the battery hours before the usual time and degradation increased more than expected in so short time.

After almost a year using the IPP 10.5 I only have 10, 13% degradation.

I doubt if I had been using iOS 11 all this time this number would not be 20 or more %. Even if I lose 30 minutes of battery I still think it's unacceptable, despite all the improvements in iOS. Why? Because 10 hours is already very little time. Remember Apple devices have improved a lot over all these years but in terms of battery they are the same.

And of course since Apple has never (and will never) acknowledge these battery issues (not even in changelogs) despite thousands of user reports of this problem, we may also assume they won't fix and it's planned obsolescence the main objective here.

If you think this is a conspiracy theory then explain to me why no one can revert back to an old iOS version. We even need to install a tvOS profile to prevent further updates! If I hadn't done that I would be using iOS 11 now, regardless of what I wanted, since iOS downloads the update without the user's consent.

You need to be very, very naive to not notice how Apple operates. Have we forgot about this already?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/30/...department-of-justice-sec-investigation-probe

This is nothing compared to what they did with iOS 11 and will continue to do with iOS 12.

I'll stick with iOS 10.3.2 no matter what.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Never had a battery drain issue on my x or Ipad Pro 10.5, unless I have not noticed. Both have been rock solid.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The problem with people drawing comparisons with how long their battery lasted on older versions of iOS, often they are failing to take into account their battery is ageing.

Reactions: Seanm87

aengelbrecht

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
I would not judge battery life after just updating the OS. The trend now is to update as quickly as possible and then perform a bunch of clean up and indexing tasks in the background after the initial install. These can take quite a while and probably depend on the device and how many apps and data is on it.

Give it a week or so to get a new baseline before seeing how battery life is affected.

As an example my iPad reposted over 40GB for system storage after installation, now down to 7.5GB a few hours later.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The problem with people drawing comparisons with how long their battery lasted on older versions of iOS, often they are failing to take into account their battery is ageing.
Generally, in my experience, iOS updates negatively affect battery life far more than age degradation. (This is by comparing my devices that are not updated with other, fully updated devices).

R Castel

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
I have been researching for the past hour on these forums and others to see if apple is going to be fixing the battery drain issues we all know about in iOS 11.. I see that they are focusing on speed and performance, but are they skipping to fix the battery issues?

Does anyone know and can confirm this?

Thanks

I can confirm that iOS 12 definitely does NOT fix the battery drain issue. I've got two iPad Airs, one iPhone 6, one iPhone 6S and one iPhone 6S+. Both iPhones 6S had a lower impact, still noticeable, but the other devices became almost unusable at the same time, since iOS 11.4 upgrade. iOS 11.4.1 didn't do much to help and iOS 12 didn’t fix it.

The question now is whether I stick to the Apple expensive products that can't admit a failure and fix it or I move to Samsung. I'm really tending to scrap both iPads and the older iPhone and get new Samsung devices.

It was the time to exchange, but I was honestly expecting much more from Apple. They shipped a broken software and they don't even admit it. This is appalling.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Apple hasn't said anything about battery issues in any changelog. Never.

And many people reported issues with several devices, if not all of them.

I doubt someone reported battery issues with the iOS version that came with the device, after some time and no updates. Of course to check this you would have to use for a while (not just a week) and install a tvOS profile to prevent a new version from being installed. How many have done that?

For example: iPhone X came with 11.1.1. And the iPad 9.7 from 2018 with iOS 11.3. But all new iPhones that are going to be released this month will already have iOS 12, and so will the upcoming iPad. It's my opinion that once you update iOS you render the device useless.

It's either planned obsolescence or iOS is too advanced for older hardware, despite anything they say about making these new versions suitable for them. iPhone 6, for example, came with iOS 8. And was released exactly 4 years ago.

The version that came with the IPP 10.5 was 10.3.2. Not 11. I'll assume it's not suited to any other version than that, unless you plan to switch to a new product very soon.

Anyway, tablet sales are plummeting every year. And I am sure smartphones aren't selling that well, too, many users don't have the cash to buy every year, don't see much benefit from it or may want their current phones indefinitely.

I am among the people who won't buy from Apple ever again. Not unless serious battery improvements are on the way. That will never happen, though, since it can threaten planned obsolescence.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can confirm that iOS 12 definitely does NOT fix the battery drain issue. I've got two iPad Airs, one iPhone 6, one iPhone 6S and one iPhone 6S+. Both iPhones 6S had a lower impact, still noticeable, but the other devices became almost unusable at the same time, since iOS 11.4 upgrade. iOS 11.4.1 didn't do much to help and iOS 12 didn’t fix it.

The question now is whether I stick to the Apple expensive products that can't admit a failure and fix it or I move to Samsung. I'm really tending to scrap both iPads and the older iPhone and get new Samsung devices.

It was the time to exchange, but I was honestly expecting much more from Apple. They shipped a broken software and they don't even admit it. This is appalling.
Based on a few hours of using iOS 12 right after install?

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Can confirm that iOS 12 is just as disastrous on my iPhone 6s and iPhone SE as 11.4 was. Battery drains incredibly fast. Had zero problems on 10.3.3. My wife and daughter have the same issue on their 6s and 6 respectively.

I can literally watch the percentage meter drop in real time. Sometimes it’ll hold steady for 5 minutes then drop in chunks of 3 or 4 percent.

On 10.3.3 I’d make it to 6pm with heavy usage. With 11.4 I have to charge by noon with almost no exception.

iOS 12 is new but is exhibiting the same precipitous drops in battery even as I type this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can confirm that iOS 12 is just as disastrous on my iPhone 6s and iPhone SE as 11.4 was. Battery drains incredibly fast. Had zero problems on 10.3.3. My wife and daughter have the same issue on their 6s and 6 respectively.

I can literally watch the percentage meter drop in real time. Sometimes it’ll hold steady for 5 minutes then drop in chunks of 3 or 4 percent.

On 10.3.3 I’d make it to 6pm with heavy usage. With 11.4 I have to charge by noon with almost no exception.

iOS 12 is new but is exhibiting the same precipitous drops in battery even as I type this.
How are the batteries themselves on those phones?

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I didn't know this was still an issue.

My iPhone 6 had noticeable battery drain (20-30% loss overnight doing nothing) the moment I updated to 11.4.0 for two weeks. Replaced with new battery two months ago from 11.4 release.

Updating to 11.4.1 fixed it for me. 0-3% loss overnight.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
How are the batteries themselves on those phones?
Both phones show 87 percent. I’m willing to try new batteries but am not overly optimistic as they were at 87 percent on 10.3.3 and lasted much much longer with no draining issues.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I have a iPhone X with a battery at 96% health and on day 1 of the iOS 12 release it did drain quite a it but I did a fresh install and redone loaded all my apps. After leaving it on the charger overnight and let it finish indexing over (about 12 hours of non use), I have been using my phone this morning and I am at my normal amount of battery charge (after 3 hours of steady use, went from 100 to 82% right now).

My advice is anyone experiencing battery issues to let your phone sit for several hours to let the indexing finish. Just like a Mac, Siri and spotlight has to finishing indexing everything right after an update, and if you are constantly doing other stuff on the phone that will slow down that process and obviously increase battery consumption. Not everything happens with the snap of a finger folks.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Replacing batteries won't solve anything since new iOS versions were created with new hardware in mind. Even hardware that hasn't been announced yet. That's what I think it's always happening with iOS.

If your old iPhone/iPAD works fine with new iOS versions then you are not investigating how much your battery has been compromised. There are two things that matter here: degradation and how many yours it can last in a single charge. A new iPAD can last 10 hours. After 1 year, 8:30 or 9, after 10, 13% degradation.

So it's not normal to lose 5% in 2 months (for example), considering a device that has been treated OK and not subjected to harsh conditions that we all know will deplete these batteries, such as exposing to heat.

Like I said, my old IPP 9.7 (2016) after iOS 11 had to be recharged hours before the usual time. And it was a brand new device that never even left my house. I treat my stuff with the utmost care. Stop with this excuse to "wait a few days", I waited MONTHS and nothing changed. And iOS 11 was installed after the device was reset to factory settings.

I doubt very much most users have noticed in both cases (degradation and how much it can last in a single charge) how bad their battery has become after successive updates.

In the end the lifespan from your battery will be shorter if you update iOS in your device that was not created with iOS 11/12 in mind. That seems to be the case with these old iPhones from 4, 5 years ago.

If someone wants to make sure there are no battery issues then stay with the iOS that came with the device. This is never investigated in depth and everyone ignores the fact Apple wants ALL USERS to replace their devices as soon as possible, even if they don't admit.

Of course we will not see such issues with newer devices, or we will see less, there is also the fact some apps might be draining more battery than it should, because the developers haven't perfected them. I don't think this is the case here.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Replacing batteries won't solve anything since new iOS versions were created with new hardware in mind. Even hardware that hasn't been announced yet. That's what I think it's always happening with iOS.

If your old iPhone/iPAD works fine with new iOS versions then you are not investigating how much your battery has been compromised. There are two things that matter here: degradation and how many yours it can last in a single charge. A new iPAD can last 10 hours. After 1 year, 8:30 or 9, after 10, 13% degradation.

So it's not normal to lose 5% in 2 months (for example), considering a device that has been treated OK and not subjected to harsh conditions that we all know will deplete these batteries, such as exposing to heat.

Like I said, my old IPP 9.7 (2016) after iOS 11 had to be recharged hours before the usual time. And it was a brand new device that never even left my house. I treat my stuff with the utmost care. Stop with this excuse to "wait a few days", I waited MONTHS and nothing changed. And iOS 11 was installed after the device was reset to factory settings.

I doubt very much most users have noticed in both cases (degradation and how much it can last in a single charge) how bad their battery has become after successive updates.

In the end the lifespan from your battery will be shorter if you update iOS in your device that was not created with iOS 11/12 in mind. That seems to be the case with these old iPhones from 4, 5 years ago.

If someone wants to make sure there are no battery issues then stay with the iOS that came with the device. This is never investigated in depth and everyone ignores the fact Apple wants ALL USERS to replace their devices as soon as possible, even if they don't admit.

Of course we will not see such issues with newer devices, or we will see less, there is also the fact some apps might be draining more battery than it should, because the developers haven't perfected them. I don't think this is the case here.
While degradation and battery performance may decrease battery performance over the years on your device, I think it is not wise to not keep up with the newest iOS. There’s two reasons I say this:

1). Older software may lack security updates that newer iOS versions fix. As such your device is more at risk of hacks or other security bugs.

2). You very well could still experience the same battery perfirmance drain as newer versions of apps are updated to use the greater power utilization of newer iOS updates.

If that is the best option for you, and the 10% battery loss between the updates is a deal breaker, then keeping the original iOS is certainly an option and all means that is your call.

But for those who say there isn’t an issue or they don’t notice the difference, I would say keep up to date on the iOS for the perfomance and security updates. If it works for them, then no need for them to be convinced there is an issue if the issues doesn’t seem to exist for them.

That’s just my personal opinion. All devices I have ever owned lose battery life over time, regardless of updating or no updating, so to me it’s not worth stressing over.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Replacing batteries won't solve anything
That depends on a particular device/situation. Certainly on plenty of older devices the batteries can and often are already somewhat used up and even though they are still performing to some degree there can still be a noticeable difference if a brand new battery is used in their place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.