Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

greattrika

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2017
Hello,

is iOS 13 faster and more fluid than iOS 12?

Apple said: "Apps will launch up to 2x faster than before"

iOS 13.jpg

Speed Test videos:

iOS 13 beta 1 vs iOS 12.4 beta or iOS 12.3.1
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-13-vs-ios-12-performance.2183864/page-2#post-27430667

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
How’s that possible it’s such an early stage beta compared to a fully optimized iOS 12 with months of refinements?
Ye, I didn’t expect it, especially as there are a lot of changes, but it’s a fact. Tbh, the new macOS is bit sluggish compared to the new iOS. It looks like it will be a great release.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Ye, I didn’t expect it, especially as there are a lot of changes, but it’s a fact. Tbh, the new macOS is bit sluggish compared to the new iOS. It looks like it will be a great release.
The Developer beta 1 is not optimized and has logging scrips running. It is one of the worst betas to load onto a device. There is no way it can be running faster and more efficient than iOS 12.

I think you may be suffering from iOS 13 install glee.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
By no yo
The Developer beta 1 is not optimized and has logging scrips running. It is one of the worst betas to load onto a device. There is no way it can be running faster and more efficient than iOS 12.

I think you may be suffering from iOS 13 install glee.

Thanks for your opinion ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Please show us your measurements and evidence for why it's "fact." I wouldn't say it's faster than iOS 12, but it doesn't feel slower either.
Seems like the comment wasn't about it being faster or slower but that comparing a beta, let alone beta 1 of a major new version, to an existing stable version is an apples to oranges type of comparison at best.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Hello,

View attachment 840351

It’s not 2x faster yet. But yes, it’s faster. And I’ve tried 12.3.1 and 12.4 beta both. 13 is faster.
[doublepost=1559620307][/doublepost]

For me 10.15 is snapper than 10.14. This is with a MBA 11 Early 2014 with 4GB RAM.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
Are faceid improvements also applied for iphone X? or just Xr and Xs? Can anyone with an X report if faceid is indeed improved?

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
Seems like the comment wasn't about it being faster or slower but that comparing a beta, let alone beta 1 of a major new version, to an existing stable version is an apples to oranges type of comparison at best.
If you look at it like it’s faster than iOS 12 now with logging scripts etc, imagine what the final build will be like. So you kinda can compare it in a way. It’s not a fact when you have no facts to show. But yeah, I do agree it’s too early to really tell, just no one should go spewing “facts”.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you look at it like it’s faster than iOS 12 now with logging scripts etc, imagine what the final build will be like. So you kinda can compare it in a way. It’s not a fact when you have no facts to show. But yeah, I do agree it’s too early to really tell, just no one should go spewing “facts”.
But that's the other thing about it too, something like beta 1 of a major new version is going to be different enough from the final version that it's still basically something that would be part of that apples vs. oranges type of scenario.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hello,

View attachment 840351

Don't know, not released it. The first developer beta just came out less than 24 hours ago, and betas rarely are faster than General Releases. Ask us again in September when we can test General Release against General Release.........

(Wonders ones thought process when making threads like this......)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Yes, iOS 13 outperforms 12 in every metric and in actual experience. Months of testing bears this out. Check out YouTube for all of the comparison videos. /s

Damn. With this and the fact that iPhone XI look horrendous, I'll be sticking with my XS Max for quite a while.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am truly floored. iOS 13, even in developer beta 1, is incredibly fast. On my iPhone XS:
  1. Animations are much shorter, perhaps about half as long. On the home screen, both folder and app launch animation are much quicker.
  2. Face ID unlock is practically instantaneous. Tap the screen, swipe up, and you are on the home screen. Reminds me of 2nd generation Touch ID.
  3. Built-in apps launch super quick, even for the initial launch.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You know iOS 12 is in its most mature form right now and iOS 13 is only in beta (1) stage. By the end of the year iOS 13 is going to scream. Can't wait to get my hands on the release version. It's not easy to hold up so long in the beta stage :p.

And think about the abomination that's iOS 11... wow can you believe your iOS devices are so fast now.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
i wonder if the 50% reduction in app sizes will lead to better memory management (how iOS never used to have to reload apps in the old days because of really great memory management)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.