Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be continuing its recent trend of making app subscriptions more transparent and manageable, as evidenced by another change discovered in the latest developer beta of iOS 13. When you delete an app on your device, you'll now be notified if it still has an active subscription.

ios-13-app-subscription-alert-viticci.jpeg
Never seen this alert before - Apple now tells you if an app you're deleting has a subscription still active. Good move. (Taken on iOS 13 beta 2.) pic.twitter.com/WU57nS8Ziv - Federico Viticci (@viticci) June 18, 2019

First spotted by MacStories editor-in-chief Federico Viticci, the pop-up asks you if want to keep your subscription for the app, and notes that the app will still be available to use on your other devices if you do choose to delete it.

It also tells you what date the sub will automatically renew unless it's canceled, and offers a Manage Subscription link that takes you directly to your subscriptions list.

In April, Apple added an extra confirmation step when App Store users purchase an app available on a subscription basis or tap to subscribe to a premium service in an app, making sure no accidental subscription purchases occur.

Earlier this year, the company also added a Manage Subscriptions shortcut in the App Store, where previously managing subscriptions required an extra step of tapping on the box with your Apple ID name and email address via the App Store or Settings.

Article Link: iOS 13 Warns Users When Deleting Apps With Active Subscriptions

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Nice one, especially when your app library grew over the years and you want to avoid extended subscriptions. Yet you should be aware of your engagements though.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
This is a very welcomed feature. Especially when I try to streamline my subscriptions through Apple. Except, of course, Spotify.

Reactions: martyjmclean

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I hate that so many companies define an automatic subscription extension as their default. it should be the other way around, kind of a rip-off in my opinion. Just as bad is that apple does not automatically block this feature.

I sort of agree. I wish they always asked AND that agreeing grandfathered the original promotion price. I agree to let you charge me $X per Y time and in return I pay $X even if you have increased rates to $Z. After all, Apple’s cut decreases after some time so there is some built in breathing room for increasing customer satisfaction.

That said, deleting an app with an active subscription should give an option to suspend the subscription or Refund the remaining time. I get this would be logistically hard, but it is not impossible. The trick would be suspending it in a way that notifies the company so that you can’t access it on other devices.

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
That’s pretty cool. Could they also add a warning when you’re about to remove an active audio app from the app switcher...? So many times I’ve accidentally closed Spotify...

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Hi from Androidland. Those notification popups are still ugly af. o_O

They’re also quite poor from the perspective of functional UI: there’s not enough separation between the two options, increasing the likelihood of a mis-click (so to speak).

Buttons or tap-able areas on the left and right is better, which they used to (edit: still do) have, but that old UI is even more ugly by today’s standards. A real dogs breakfast of ugliness.

push-notifications-iphone-os-30-02.jpg

PS: Just saw the attached picture from a previous MacRumors article. It’s much better functional UI to have buttons like that. It appears however that Apple switches to vertically stacked options when there’s too much text to split the panel horizontally; or when there’s more than two options I suppose, though that isn’t the case above.

Attachments

• DA2133DE-30A0-438C-B530-EB4EC7BEC8F1.jpeg
    DA2133DE-30A0-438C-B530-EB4EC7BEC8F1.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

zeeshanj

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
Yes, this is same happening in my app. if user has already an active auto renewal subscription and uninstalled the app, this confirmation dialog comes in the iPhone device. But could you please tell me can we hide this confirmation dialog? if yes how can it possible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.