Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
My two watches occasionally asks me to sign in with my Apple ID. It takes it and then sends me a prompt that it cannot update since I need higher version of IOS watch...oh well.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I have two Series 0 or 1st generation. I can confirm, it will pair with iOS 15 but the problem is, you will get a constant reminder to sign in with your Apple ID with the watch. When you do, it will prompt you that its incompatible with iOS 15 and you need a higher version OS watch to pair. Very reason I won't get a new Apple Watch. Unlike good old analog watches that can last till you die and beyond, these "smart watches" have limited lifespan.

They have computers inside them. It's going to go EOS and EOL eventually, it's inevitable.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
My Series 0 is still working fine with iOS15. It didn't during the beta but when iOS15 became final it worked again. I still use the Gen 0 while climbing. I can still get notification and answer without getting out my phone and it doesn't really matter when there're scratches on the watch screen. Amazing, the battery life. It still feels like a fresh watch - unlike my Gen 3 that got replaced by a Gen 4 due to the lack of battery life.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
Just stumbled across this thread.

I just bought my dad a S7 to replace his S2 on WatchOS6.3 He has an iPhone 11 and his wife a iPhone 8+ both on iOS 15.x

His S2 is paired with his phone, but I was under the impression that if he unpaired it to give to his wife she wouldn't be able to pair as existing parings work but not new? Is this correct? Or did I imagine it :)

Thanks!

bricktop_at

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2017
Just stumbled across this thread.

I just bought my dad a S7 to replace his S2 on WatchOS6.3 He has an iPhone 11 and his wife a iPhone 8+ both on iOS 15.x

His S2 is paired with his phone, but I was under the impression that if he unpaired it to give to his wife she wouldn't be able to pair as existing parings work but not new? Is this correct? Or did I imagine it :)

Thanks!
S2 on watchOS 6.x works fine with current iOS Versions :)

Reactions: BillGates1969

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Not for me. I have 2 of them and eventually it keeps asking me to sign in to my apple id account. Loops and keeps asking.

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
I have an old Series 2, paired to a 13 Pro Max running iOS 16 beta 1.

Seems to be working just fine (I haven’t needed to pair). I mostly use this old/slow watch for notifications, activity tracking, timers, and all are fine.

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire
I have an old Series 2, paired to a 13 Pro Max running iOS 16 beta 1.

Seems to be working just fine (I haven’t needed to pair). I mostly use this old/slow watch for notifications, activity tracking, timers, and all are fine.

Were/are you able to use your watch with the 16RC? Wondering if the comparability is still there? Anyone running WatchOS 4.3.2 on an AW and successfully pair/run with iOS 16? Thanks in advance.

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
Were/are you able to use your watch with the 16RC? Wondering if the comparability is still there? Anyone running WatchOS 4.3.2 on an AW and successfully pair/run with iOS 16? Thanks in advance.

Yes all working here, though my user is fairly simple. Activity data and notifications. But I've not noticed any issues with 16 or now 16.1 beta

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.