Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rob2bob

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2021
Hmmm your experience of battery drain and being warm is similar to mine. Did you delete the 3rd party app emails too?
I deleted all mail accounts (5 of them) within the iOS mail app as that is the only source of mail on my phone. Today battery still at 62% from the 100% charge ... looking good 36 hrs on! (Update: 43 hrs now and still a respectable 40%.)

Last edited:

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2021
I’m glad and surprised by the battery on 16.6 public release. My 13 P, with 88% battery health managed to work for 7 hours and drain 55%. I see that just apps that are using gps and full screen brightness drain the battery faster, but i think is normal.

Attachments

• IMG_1804.jpeg
    IMG_1804.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1806.png
    IMG_1806.png
    318.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1803.png
    IMG_1803.png
    316.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1821.png
    IMG_1821.png
    322.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1842.png
    IMG_1842.png
    285.6 KB · Views: 105

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I deleted all mail accounts (5 of them) within the iOS mail app as that is the only source of mail on my phone. Today battery still at 62% from the 100% charge ... looking good 36 hrs on! (Update: 43 hrs now and still a respectable 40%.)
Just did this last night. I even did my 3rd party ones too. Let’s see how this goes!

SorenMads9

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2023
After upgrading from iOS 15.6.1 to iOS16 my phones battery draining much faster..
Specially last few months it's noticeable..
It's really heartburning for my 13 pro max 😑😑😑

• Sad
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
After upgrading from iOS 15.6.1 to iOS16 my phones battery draining much faster..
Specially last few months it's noticeable..
It's really heartburning for my 13 pro max 😑😑😑
Some versions on iOS16 (and other iOS versions too) seem to have affected battery life, but it might not only be down to iOS issues. 16.6 seem to be one of the better in terms of less bugs and battery drain.

Have a look at some of the advice in the thread.
I updated to iOS 16.6 recently and reinstalled the fitness app (I don't use it) and its a massive difference. The battery life and hot phone issues are gone. Not sure what sorted it, maybe its a combo.
The only issue I have now is that "find my phone" are using my GPS all the time, still doesn't seem to have an impact on the battery.

So my advice is to jump on 16.6, you should do it anyway if you have a look at the security issues that it fixes.

MCap

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2021
I just got inspiration from this. But without deleting my email’s accounts I setup data download in manual for all my accounts with the exception of iCloud. Probably your intuition is right. Push and auto check for emails is probably another battery drain culprit.

rob2bob

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2021
I just got inspiration from this. But without deleting my email’s accounts I setup data download in manual for all my accounts with the exception of iCloud. Probably your intuition is right. Push and auto check for emails is probably another battery drain culprit.
If you want push mail though (as I do) I leave it toggled on and my solution is working for now still!

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Push drains battery no matter what device/OS or service you are using.

rob2bob

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2021
Push drains battery no matter what device/OS or service you are using.
True. And clearly depends mainly on if mail is actually being sent by those push accounts. The Fetch ones eg Gmail can be more battery hungry so arguably leave those toggled to manual if one is concerned vs automatic.

But for me it was clearly an issue when Mail was running almost 24/7 in the background as it was before my fix. I’m now getting 2 days+ out of a full charge easily (push mail still on) whereas before I would not even make a day. No Mail running in background showing now. Result.

Last edited:

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
completely and you are no adding them back??
I couldn't do that, I need my emails

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
🔋 Battery life update.

Pre-ordered iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Battery life has been degraded to 91%. Single charge - Averaging roughly 6 hours or so.

View attachment 2242057
Lot's of posts and youtubers are saying the same. Kind of seems unacceptable. My iPhone 11, almost 4 years old, still has 84% battery and I use it about 4 hours a day, used to be closer to 6.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Why does my phone get so hot when applying an update? It’s apparently well-known that heat damages batteries. Perhaps the update could be done more slowly to keep the device cool?

The other thing is the X days of settling down after an update. Why would spotlight re-indexing have to occur after every update? That is, why can’t they find a way to keep and re-use the previous index?

The whole battery life/update situation has gone on far too long and is spoiling the iOS experience, in my view.

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
Last update killed my 14 pro again, came good with the previous one from the previous one lol
Me too. My 14 Pro Max battery has been notably draining much faster with iOS 16.6, even though the maximum capacity is still 100%.

On the first few days of the update, the update actually happened to improve battery life for me. Then for some reason, it became much worse later on…

Here’s what I got on the first day of the update. I ended up the day with 50% left down from charging to 92% the previous night. And I’m an average-to-heavy user. Such an impressive battery life, right ?

IMG_7532.png

On the other hand, here’s what I’m normally getting these days on the same version with the same usage. It has been notably draining a lot faster and I’m not sure why.. it hasn’t been so great.

IMG_7551.png

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
Why does my phone get so hot when applying an update? It’s apparently well-known that heat damages batteries. Perhaps the update could be done more slowly to keep the device cool?

The other thing is the X days of settling down after an update. Why would spotlight re-indexing have to occur after every update? That is, why can’t they find a way to keep and re-use the previous index?

The whole battery life/update situation has gone on far too long and is spoiling the iOS experience, in my view.
My phone always gets really hot when I install software updates as well. And starting from iOS 16.5.1, battery life hasn’t been so great for me..
I hope we see some improvements for battery life with iOS 17.

Battery Life has been trash on my iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB (Unlocked).

I certainly believe iPhone 14 lineup in battery life is not that great. I feel like iPhone 13 Pro Max battery was a lot better compare to this iPhone. I really hope a better battery management system takes its place in the iPhone 15 Line up.

As you can see below barely push 5 Hours throughout the day. I was also on Wi-Fi all day. 0-100% Overnight charging. This is just unacceptable!

IMG_8211.jpg
IMG_8210.PNG

1692341450925.png

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Battery Life has been trash on my iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB (Unlocked).

I certainly believe iPhone 14 lineup in battery life is not that great. I feel like iPhone 13 Pro Max battery was a lot better compare to this iPhone. I really hope a better battery management system takes its place in the iPhone 15 Line up.

As you can see below barely push 5 Hours throughout the day. I was also on Wi-Fi all day. 0-100% Overnight charging. This is just unacceptable!

Glad to see the return of your avatar pics!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.