Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
So the rumors where that we were going to see a new control center and change to walt app

am starting a list on what rumors got completely wrong for ios 17 unless they come at a later beta or .1 update

the list so far am going to make this a wiki post so if there any thing els that you think of that where rumors that where coming to IOS 17 but not there you can add it to the list

no new control center

no Change to wallet app

no 'New' wallpaper picker and ability to share them

Last edited:

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
So the rumors where that we where going to see a new control center and change to walt app

am starting a list on what rumors got completely wrong for ios 17 unless they come at a later beta or .1 update

the list so far am going to make this a wiki post so if there any thing els that you think of that where rumors that where coming to IOS 17 but not there you can add it to the list

no new control center

no Change to wallet app

Nothing really new except for some app updates, I guess you can call the incoming call screen new.

This should really be called 16.7

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
So the rumors where that we where going to see a new control center and change to walt app

no new control center

no Change to wallet app

maybe more is coming with the iPhone announcement in September... for example the wallet app just got added in the last few days to a list of apple apps that is part of a list of apps that supports "Business Register" website. The webpage previously only included Messages, Health, and Maps and is a site listing apps that support 3rd party partnerships. It seems there is smoke to the rumor that Wallet will gain the ability to support at least some 3rd party credit card balances or more etc.

Reactions: boston04and07

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Gurman became the 2023 version of John Presser. I get you can speculate and you're not going to be right 100% of the time, but did Gurman get anything right? I think what we learned is what I suspected all along, it is hard to get any sort of news from Apple, and anything is just conjecture unless Tim Cook says so.

Last edited:

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Gurman became the 2023 version of John Presser. I get you can speculate and you're not going to be right 100% of the time, but did German get anything right? I think what we learned is what I suspected all along, it is hard to get any sort of news from Apple, and anything is just conjecture unless Tim Cook says so.
I wounder oh came close to winning the rumors round Gurman sure ant one of them

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Gurman became the 2023 version of John Presser. I get you can speculate and you're not going to be right 100% of the time, but did Gurman get anything right? I think what we learned is what I suspected all along, it is hard to get any sort of news from Apple, and anything is just conjecture unless Tim Cook says so.

Gurman got a TON right and hit dead on with headset features like the viewable eyes that others were saying were a laughable joke and prank being played on rumor media. All in all I think Gurman actually did better this year than recently and better than anyone else.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I wounder oh came close to winning the rumors round Gurman sure ant one of them

I want to see a scorecard of what someone like Gurman said and what actually came to pass. I don't want to be hard on the guy as he does his job, but I'm just curious now those Rumors have been replaced by Facts, what was right and what was wrong or what was even close. For example, I was really excited by the idea of a better Control Center and Wallet App. That wasn't even brought up today during the presentation. Was there any surprises too, like a feature we didn't expect but actually got. For example, I don't think anyone talked about the check in feature or live voicemail for the phone.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Gurman got a TON right and hit dead on with headset features like the viewable eyes that others were saying were a laughable joke and prank being played on rumor media. All in all I think Gurman actually did better this year than recently and better than anyone else.

I'll give you the headset. What we got is pretty identical to the renders we saw, maybe a little bulkier. Of course the headset was the primary focus of a lot of the rumors anyway.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013

He got pretty much all of the headset right besides the price (he said around $3k). He was also the one to tell us about watchOS redesign and the Journal app.

SeanM

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2007
USA
I want to see a scorecard of what someone like Gurman said and what actually came to pass. I don't want to be hard on the guy as he does his job, but I'm just curious now those Rumors have been replaced by Facts, what was right and what was wrong or what was even close. For example, I was really excited by the idea of a better Control Center and Wallet App. That wasn't even brought up today during the presentation. Was there any surprises too, like a feature we didn't expect but actually got. For example, I don't think anyone talked about the check in feature or live voicemail for the phone.

The redesigned control center rumor wasn't from Gurman, it was from a MacRumors forum poster.

You can see Gurman's leaks here:

He got almost everything correct except for the Wallet app.

airtonvfilho

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2020
do you guys think that maybe iOS 17 is a new iOS 12? only small changes and focus on stability

i was hoping for that since iOS 16 has a lot of problems

Reactions: nortonandreev

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
The redesigned control center rumor wasn't from Gurman, it was from a MacRumors forum poster.

You can see Gurman's leaks here:

He got almost everything correct except for the Wallet app.

Thank you for this. I take back all the bad things I say about the guy because he did get quite a bit right. My apologies, even though I really wish his article on the Wallet had actually come to pass. The Wallet could use some tweeking, and I wish we can just have a list of the cards rather than them being stacked.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I'm looking forward to this year's Rumor Report Card. There were a lot of them going around this year that didn't happen.

There really is a Rumor Report Card. This is the type of things I was asking about and I'm happy to see they actually do exist. I look forward to this years, and I think the Macrumors show is coming earlier this week with their own thoughts and report cards as well.

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
I don't know if the rumor about third party web browsers being able to use their own rendering engine ended up being true or not. I guess it’s too early to tell

SeanM

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2007
USA
Thank you for this. I take back all the bad things I say about the guy because he did get quite a bit right. My apologies, even though I really wish his article on the Wallet had actually come to pass. The Wallet could use some tweeking, and I wish we can just have a list of the cards rather than them being stacked.
I was looking forward to that too. Given all the other things Gurman got right, I assume the Wallet app stuff was accurate but just didn't make it in time. Fingers crossed it comes in a future beta or post-release with iOS 17.2 or something.

Reactions: sjsharksfan12

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Not really sure there was ever a “rumor” about it - but I really wanted further expansion of the Dynamic Island. I feel like Apple did something great last year and I was hoping we’d see further growth of it - especially with all iPhones having dynamic island this year.

No messages/notifications/Siri/Face ID, etc. feels like a missed opportunity

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Not really sure there was ever a “rumor” about it - but I really wanted further expansion of the Dynamic Island. I feel like Apple did something great last year and I was hoping we’d see further growth of it - especially with all iPhones having dynamic island this year.

No messages/notifications/Siri/Face ID, etc. feels like a missed opportunity

Apple has been doing that for years, they introduce great new features and then abandon them. Hoping maybe they are saving some things like that for when the iPhone 15’s get released.

srknpower

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
I am considering Gurman successful. Apple dropped Hey from Hey Siri. WatchOS got eye and mental health futures and a redesign.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
it did get a few things wrong like the Mac OS name and a few other things lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.