Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strokee23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2023
Anybody finding broken shortcuts since updating to iOS 17 (to include iOS 17.0.1 & 17.0.2)?

I have a very basic, 2-part shortcut which turns on "Do Not Disturb" and logs a 1-hour "Traditional Strength Training" workout in Apple Health. Since updating, I receive an "unexpected error" message. I've deleted and recreated the shortcut, changed the "log a workout" in the health app to "begin a workout" with a goal of 1-hour, but the shortcut is still broken.

I reached out to Apple about this a couple of weeks ago: of course they hadn't heard of any issues. The 2 small updates since have not fixed it.

Any ideas?

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I've got 4 shortcuts that i use occasionally in a widget on my home screen, they all seem to be working fine.

Reactions: Strokee23

Strokee23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2023
I've got 4 shortcuts that i use occasionally in a widget on my home screen, they all seem to be working fine.
I have 5 shortcuts (4 of which are also on the shortcuts widget on my Home Screen), and only 1 of them is having this issue.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
I am using many and no real issues. Why don't you post a screenshot of it and I would be glad to see if I can replicate your issue.

Reactions: Strokee23

Strokee23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2023
I am using many and no real issues. Why don't you post a screenshot of it and I would be glad to see if I can replicate your issue.
I appreciate you, but all seems well now. Oddly enough, all I did was delete and recreate the shortcut, but this time I changed the order of the steps: step 1 is log 1-hour traditional strength training workout and step 2 is turn on do not disturb focus. They were reversed last time and I was getting the error message.

I'm fairly confident I tried this already with no success, but it worked today (for now)!

Reactions: earthdog

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Good to see it's working again.

Have seen this in previous updates, but not in 17. Basically what OP reported:

I've deleted and recreated the shortcut, changed the "log a workout" in the health app to "begin a workout" with a goal of 1-hour, but the shortcut is still broken.

Apple seems to change some in a non-backward compatible manner and you get these type of things. And unfortunately, don't think I've ever seen a good release note for Shortcuts, so only find out need to change things due to they're broken.

Now, what I am seeing is that some Automations are slow to trigger at scheduled time. And in one case, seemed like none of the Automations were running so deleted and re-created a simple Automation and it shook everything loose: got a ton of Notifications on the screen for the Automations from earlier in the day (acted like everything was queued up waiting for something).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.