Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Seems like the Accessibility features that Apple introduces in May are becoming a sneak peak of what we will see in WWDC.

While controlling the iPad with the eyesight is really cool, there are actually many more features! One of them I’d aimed at helping motion sickness when you try to read while being in a vehicle (one you’re not driving yourself, I assume).

Another one is trying to make deaf people feel the music.

But there are more that are especially interesting, such as Vocal Shortcuts. I think this one has the potential of stretching even further what you can do by just talking to your phone.

Other small but promising new features include Shortcuts with the option to trigger Calming Sounds (already available through the Control Center since iOS 16), or the new hover typing feature:
I agree regarding a sneak peek. And these "accessibility" features frequently become mainstream down the road. I'm excited by the eye tracking. That's a direct spinoff of Vision Pro technology and could be a game changer down the road. I'm also excited by the sound detection feature coming to CarPlay. My hearing is not the best, and cars are not the best for hearing anyway, with all the ambient noise. Having something pop up saying there's, for example, an audible siren, would be very helpful to me. Finally, the Vision Pro live captions are a great preview of where things are going if Apple can ever miniaturize the headset down to eyeglass size. Imagine a hearing-impaired person having the text of conversations displayed on their glasses in real time. Life changing!

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
Well, if those accessibility screenshots are legit from iOS 18, the rumored big UI redesign is def not happening. Looks the same as iOS 17 and the same it's looked for years.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Well, if those accessibility screenshots are legit from iOS 18, the rumored big UI redesign is def not happening. Looks the same as iOS 17 and the same it's looked for years.
Nah, that doesn’t work that way. They cannot unveil the new system yet. Last year they showed us the new accessibility features with iOS 16 wallpapers and interface.

This UI overhaul could be coming, or not. Could be groundbreaking or not. But this screenshots aren’t indicators of any of that.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009

Apple would never leak a redesign coming out at WWDC in a minor press release like this. They even will show the old designs of hardware/software in the beginning of the event until they actually show off the changes. Until that moment we won’t know, I’m hoping for some big and good improvements all around.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
I’m scared this OS update is going to end support for devices as it going to be more resources and RAM hungry.

I would not be surprised if 1GB of RAM is just use for the OS running.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
Yeah, I agree, if iOS 18 is so disruptive as it has been rumored, with big UI changes and especially AI features, it will be rough at first.

I only hope that eventually, even A14 devices with just 4GB of RAM can handle it easily.
I hope not there are many devices with only 2GB of RAM and some 3GB of RAM.

IF the OS is 1GB of RAM just to run that only 1GB or 2GB to work with running other apps in the background.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
Over the years, when I see discussions like this, I ask myself one question:

What does Android have (or can do) that Apple hasn’t implemented yet?

• PC file transfer

• Bluetooth file transfer

• NFC file transfer

That will not come to Apple has Apple wants you to use ICloud syc.

• App sideloading

• 3rd party app stores

Apple does not want this!! Well look at the EU and the court cases the fighting going on.

• Split Screen for iPhones

That may one day come to iPhone.

• Improved app multitasking

Not sure what you mean multitasking is lacking here?

• Improved background app management

Can you elaborate on where the OS is lacking here?

• Flexible home screen layout & widgets

Not sure what you mean here?

• 3rd party dynamic wallpapers for home screen and Lock Screen

Does the App Store not have many to choose from?

• 3rd party apps in Control Center

You mean third party apps for control?

• Better support for legacy apps

You mean after 6 years a lot of apps not working on older devices not getting the latest OS update.

As after 5 or 6 years Apple ends support for device when comes to OS updates.

• AlarmKit API for 3rd party clock apps to use alarms

• ToneKit API for 3rd party apps to use custom ringtones & custom notification sounds per app

• PlaylistKit API for creating playlists and smart playlists

• Import tones from Files app (“Save Tone”, “Save 2 Tones”, “Save 3 Tones”)

• Improved default app selector/selection

• A “rotate screen to landscape” icon pop-up in apps when rotating the screen while iPhone is locked in portrait mode

• Improved background process management

• Support for 3rd party AI assistants (e.g., Google and Alexa)

• Textured backgrounds for Notes app

I think iOS is slowly growing into a mature mobile PC with the amount of things I can perform on it. A lot of the changes are tweaks that can improve day-to-day usage.

Some of this may be added in the coming years. Well knowing Apple is not known to give lot pro features in year or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amstrman

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Over the years, when I see discussions like this, I ask myself one question:

What does Android have (or can do) that Apple hasn’t implemented yet?

• 3rd party dynamic wallpapers for home screen and lock screen

I know it’s not a huge deal, but this was one of my favorite things my Samsung phone could do. You could set it to use wallpapers from categories you like, and then every few days it shows you a new set of something like 50 wallpapers. So you never have to look for new one ones and set them up, it does all the work for you, and they were always very high quality good looking wallpapers! Apple really needs something like this as it’s simple and fun, It was always interesting to see what would show up on your phone everyday.

Notifications and the way they work were much better too, besides the customization options, they were easier to get to and show so much more information. You can swipe down anywhere on the screen to bring down the notification panel, then one more swipe down to bring up your “control center”. No having to reach the top of your screen, which usually means you need 2 hands.

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Now that OpenAI’s keynote and the Google IO rollouts are over, it’s pretty clear that Apple will need to have a compelling AI story to tell so as to not fall behind in the market of consumer opinion.

Apple knows this and if the Accessibility reveals are any indication, we’re going to see the most action packed WWDC in many, many years.

I’m still bullish on seeing AI/Machine learning stuff throughout the stack, with an emphasis on photos and Siri. I am optimistic that Siri will get what amounts to a total makeover. We saw halting steps toward that this past year with back-to-back requests. I think we’ll see full-blown conversational capabilities this year. Hopefully, though, Siri won’t be quite as perky as the OpenAI chatbots. Those remind of the Toy Story Barbie - way too saccharine.

Aside from that, look for Apple to leverage its strength with on-device processing to integrate AI into its productivity apps, such as Mail, Calendar, Notes and the iWork Suite. I hope they can take it further and allow you to make sweeping requests like “Set up a meeting with the team for next Wednesday at 2pm and send everyone the agenda I roughed out in Notes yesterday afternoon after polishing it up”. We’ll see.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Now that OpenAI’s keynote and the Google IO rollouts are over, it’s pretty clear that Apple will need to have a compelling AI story to tell so as to not fall behind in the market of consumer opinion.

Apple knows this and if the Accessibility reveals are any indication, we’re going to see the most action packed WWDC in many, many years.

I’m still bullish on seeing AI/Machine learning stuff throughout the stack, with an emphasis on photos and Siri. I am optimistic that Siri will get what amounts to a total makeover. We saw halting steps toward that this past year with back-to-back requests. I think we’ll see full-blown conversational capabilities this year. Hopefully, though, Siri won’t be quite as perky as the OpenAI chatbots. Those remind of the Toy Story Barbie - way too saccharine.

Aside from that, look for Apple to leverage its strength with on-device processing to integrate AI into its productivity apps, such as Mail, Calendar, Notes and the iWork Suite. I hope they can take it further and allow you to make sweeping requests like “Set up a meeting with the team for next Wednesday at 2pm and send everyone the agenda I roughed out in Notes yesterday afternoon after polishing it up”. We’ll see.
Microsoft had this write up of the AI that they use.
  • Rule-based AI operates based on a set of predefined rules and logic. This type of AI is useful for solving mathematical equations or producing logical statements. It can also be used for analyzing large sets of fast-moving data to spot patterns and identify things like potential fraud.
  • Machine learning involves training a computer system to recognize patterns in data. Image and speech recognition are examples of machine learning.
  • Deep learning is a machine learning technique where layers of neural networks are used to process data and make decisions. A deep learning system looks at massive amounts of data and learns by spotting patterns. Deep learning AI is used for tasks such as image and speech recognition, natural language processing, and for making predictions about the future based on data. It’s a key part of the technology used in self-driving cars.
  • Natural language processing (NLP) enables computers to understand and interpret human language. This type of AI is one of the most common, as it’s used in chatbots, virtual assistants, and language translation software. NLP is what you're using when you interact with Copilot using plain English instructions.
  • Generative is another form of AI that’s becoming more popular, and it features heavily in how Copilot does what it does. It creates new written, visual, and auditory content by way of existing data or input by humans. ChatGPT from OpenAI is a generative AI, in fact that’s what the “G” in its name stands for.

Of all that I see, the most problematic is utilizing Generative AI programs. I expect Apple to mostly step away from that to avoid lawsuits that an application is plagiarizing online existing data that is owned by someone else. Most of us are thinking about the first 4 mentioned for Apple. Improved digital assistants would be nice. 25 days to go.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I hope not there are many devices with only 2GB of RAM and some 3GB of RAM.

IF the OS is 1GB of RAM just to run that only 1GB or 2GB to work with running other apps in the background.

Apple has already dropped support for most 2GB RAM devices. The only 2GB RAM device they still support is the 2018 iPad 6th gen and I reckon most folks are expecting that to be dropped on iPadOS 18.

It’s also entirely possible that Apple may drop support for all A10-based devices on iPadOS 18. If they do, all remaining chipsets (A12 and newer) will have a neural engine so they would all have at least some level of hardware assisted AI computation.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Apple has already dropped support for most 2GB RAM devices. The only 2GB RAM device they still support is the 2018 iPad 6th gen and I reckon most folks are expecting that to be dropped on iPadOS 18.

It’s also entirely possible that Apple may drop support for all A10-based devices on iPadOS 18. If they do, all remaining chipsets (A12 and newer) will have a neural engine so they would all have at least some level of hardware assisted AI computation.
Wouldn’t surprise me.

The one I’m actually curious to learn about (even though it’s off topic for this thread)…is what will be dropped with macOS this year. Still rocking an Intel based MacBook because I haven’t NEEDED an upgrade yet 😂 It’s a 2020 though, so maybe it still has a chance at the new macOS this year.

For iOS devices though…I don’t have any that would stand a chance of being dropped this year, so I’m not worried about those!

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015

What a shame I see refurbish iPad 6th gen for under $200.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
Wouldn’t surprise me.

The one I’m actually curious to learn about (even though it’s off topic for this thread)…is what will be dropped with macOS this year. Still rocking an Intel based MacBook because I haven’t NEEDED an upgrade yet 😂 It’s a 2020 though, so maybe it still has a chance at the new macOS this year.

For iOS devices though…I don’t have any that would stand a chance of being dropped this year, so I’m not worried about those!

I hear AI is much more resources hungry.

I hear Microsoft new Windows 12 in the works is going to be all AI and you going need 8GB of RAM than the standard 4GB of RAM recommended for Windows 10 and Windows 11.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
There won’t be a Windows 12 anytime soon, the AI focused Windows will be Windows 11 24H2. Currently running it as Dev Insider.

iOS 18 I think will run on iPhone 11 series and up, so A11 powered devices as the minimum. That’s my guess :)

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
There won’t be a Windows 12 anytime soon, the AI focused Windows will be Windows 11 24H2. Currently running it as Dev Insider.

The information floating around was suppose to be complete Windows AI OS and far better than just a AI assistant or ChatGPT. The OS it self was suppose to be very AI like it was suppose to come out in year or two.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iOS 18 I think will run on iPhone 11 series and up, so A11 powered devices as the minimum. That’s my guess :)

The iPhone 11 has A13.

A11 has been dropped already. iOS 16 was the last supported version for iPhone 8/8+/X.

The iPhone Xr/Xs/Xs Max, iPad Air 3, iPad mini 5 and iPad 8 (A12) are still supported. There’s probably a good chance that they’ll get iOS 18. At least the iPads should. Apple seems to be dropping support for iPhones based on age. Even if Apple continues support for A12-based iPads, they might drop support for the A12 phones.

Reactions: Cobold

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I wonder if iPadOS 18 will get a more capable Status Bar that would be something like a mix between the macOS Menu Bar and the Dynamic Island.

Reactions: xxFoxtail

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
The iPhone 11 has A13.

A11 has been dropped already. iOS 16 was the last supported version for iPhone 8/8+/X.

The iPhone Xr/Xs/Xs Max, iPad Air 3, iPad mini 5 and iPad 8 (A12) are still supported. There’s probably a good chance that they’ll get iOS 18. At least the iPads should. Apple seems to be dropping support for iPhones based on age. Even if Apple continues support for A12-based iPads, they might drop support for the A12 phones.
Man, you are right. Got confused by all the numbers! 😵‍💫
A11 is long gone along my old iPhone X I still have here.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I think Apple is about to give Microsoft a run for their money with AI integration on iOS and iPadOS 18! I think iPadOS 18 is going to be a big update, and will bring the iPad Pro more in line with the Macs. Mark Gurman (he had a lot of inaccuracies last year, but this year has been more accurate) is saying that iPadOS 18 will sort out the iPad Pro’s software issues and that the software will take advantage of the hardware in the new iPad Pros. I think this is going to be a big one, and I think Apple knows it needs to make a big move before the PC competition catches up with ARM computing. I don’t think that the PC market will catch up with Apple in terms of quality or experience, but I think Apple wants to stay ahead while it has the lead. That’s why the M4 blows the socks off of the new Qualcomm chips, because Apple has a solid lead, and is pushing their technology to stay ahead. 👍🏻

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I think Apple is about to give Microsoft a run for their money with AI integration on iOS and iPadOS 18! I think iPadOS 18 is going to be a big update, and will bring the iPad Pro more in line with the Macs. Mark Gurman (he had a lot of inaccuracies last year, but this year has been more accurate) is saying that iPadOS 18 will sort out the iPad Pro’s software issues and that the software will take advantage of the hardware in the new iPad Pros. I think this is going to be a big one, and I think Apple knows it needs to make a big move before the PC competition catches up with ARM computing. I don’t think that the PC market will catch up with Apple in terms of quality or experience, but I think Apple wants to stay ahead while it has the lead. That’s why the M4 blows the socks off of the new Qualcomm chips, because Apple has a solid lead, and is pushing their technology to stay ahead.

I hope you are correct. Gurman has not been particularly specific about what he thinks is going to happen, however. Jason Snell speculates that Gurman may be seeing part but not all of the picture.

Apple has a lot riding on this release of iOS/iPadOS. Hopefully they are being thoughtful about how they are adding features and not simply throwing everything in to catch up to the other AI platforms.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
I hope you are correct. Gurman has not been particularly specific about what he thinks is going to happen, however. Jason Snell speculates that Gurman may be seeing part but not all of the picture.

Apple has a lot riding on this release of iOS/iPadOS. Hopefully they are being thoughtful about how they are adding features and not simply throwing everything in to catch up to the other AI platforms.

This website and YouTube is riddled with people trashing iPadOS saying it is not true OS.

Yet this is only page 8 and hardy anyone is posting what features iPadOS has to have to make it true OS.

You do know that Apple reads this as they don’t like loads of large army YouTube and tech sites bashing iPad Pro that just get realized.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
This website and YouTube is riddled with people trashing iPadOS saying it is not true OS.

Yet this is only page 8 and hardy anyone is posting what features iPadOS has to have to make it true OS.

You do know that Apple reads this as they don’t like loads of large army YouTube and tech sites bashing iPad Pro that just get realized.
I think iPadOS is a true OS. I am decidedly not in favor of putting macOS on the iPad (maybe as an app, but not a dual-boot thing). I love iPadOS, and use my iPad as my primary computer. But I do think iPadOS should continue to get more macOS features. I think a big thing that would go a long way for some would be a Catalyst type system that would make all apps on the Mac App Store available on the iPad App Store. Personally I’m happy with iPadOS in it’s current state, though I’d like to see a few changes like a more functional Status Bar, manual organization options for the App Library, and a few other minor things. And I do think it would be nice for Mac App Store apps to be added.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.