Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
Lock the screen orientation. Set Assistive Touch to On. Then set Triple Click Home Button to Assistive Touch.

Now in any app that supports landscape triple click the home button and select device, then rotate screen, and finally choose left or right Landscape and it locks the screen into that orientation. It even overrides the portrait lock. Triple click the home button again to make the Assistive Touch icon disappear. It stays locked. Great for iBooks and Safari in bed.

Also you can move the Assistive Touch icon by dragging it if you want to keep it on the screen.

Last edited:

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I use the assistive touch button all the time to save wear and tear on the physical buttons. It works very well, but sometimes is in the way on the iPhone, no matter where you move it to. Fortunately, the assistive touch button moves with a touch or flick to get out of the way. Less of a problem on the iPad where the screen is so much more spacious. Can put it in the lower corners.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Well i found this out in another thread, but i figured since this thread is ALL the little things i'd put it here, and also since i did a search on this thread and didn't find it.

When i put my phone to silent if i for some reason want to use siri, the nice "ding ding" sound when it pops up is REALLY loud when you are in a quiet place.

So i found out in another thread that siri has its own volume. Once you hold the home button and it pops up, press the volume up or down buttons to change the volume of siri only.

Hope this helps someone! :D

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I use the assistive touch button all the time to save wear and tear on the physical buttons. It works very well, but sometimes is in the way on the iPhone, no matter where you move it to. Fortunately, the assistive touch button moves with a touch or flick to get out of the way. Less of a problem on the iPad where the screen is so much more spacious. Can put it in the lower corners.

Is there really a point to using the assitive touch button just to substitute the home button on the iPad though? I mean considering it has four/five-finger gestures to close apps and bring up the multitasking bar.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Yeah. You are right about the gestures on the iPad. I didn't know about them at first. Now I do and use them all the time. Wish the iPhone had something similar. I still have the assistive touch on the iPad, but only use it to lock the screen. Guess it's a habit now - and unnecessary.

Recylclops

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Reopen closed tabs

On an iPad running IOS 5 if you accidentally close a tab, hold down on the new tab button and it will show a list of recent tabs

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
-go to Spotlight on your homescreen and search something. Now click an item in your dock, a new animation will occur when opening the app. The screen will zoom out then in. (unlock the normal app opening animation that simply zooms in)

-drag the Notification Center down, and make sure you have a list of notifications that can't all be displayed at once. Now scroll down so that at the very bottom of the screen you can FAINTLY see the top of a line of text. Now use one finger and lift the Notification Center up partway. Now put a second finger on the screen and move your fingers around. The top of the text will flash bright white whenever whenever you move the window (again, only with 2 fingers)

Bonuses:

-on Facebook, go to your profile. Now go to the menu. Now go to the News Feed. The window slides in from the right. Normal animation, right? Now go to the menu, and click News Feed again. This time, if you look closely, when the window slides in, it'll bounce a tiny bit. Whenever you go in the menu and navigate to the same page you're already on, this will happen.

-on Facebook, instead of just clicking the menu button to get the the menu, you can grab the menu button and drag it to the right.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
I think someone already said this, but you can use Accessory settings to listen to News Stories or read back your essays. In the "Siri" voice..

Attachments

• IMG_0315[1].PNG
    IMG_0315[1].PNG
    196.6 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

Sexysmooth

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
Help

Hi Guys,

I need some help here, I have upgraded my iphone4 to ios5.
I have synced with iTunes and my customized ringtones appear
on my phone, but the problem is that when I assign specific ringtones
to specific numbers they don't work. Need help please.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Lock the screen orientation. Set Assistive Touch to On. Then set Triple Click Home Button to Assistive Touch.

Now in any app that supports landscape triple click the home button and select device, then rotate screen, and finally choose left or right Landscape and it locks the screen into that orientation. It even overrides the portrait lock. Triple click the home button again to make the Assistive Touch icon disappear. It stays locked. Great for iBooks and Safari in bed.

Also you can move the Assistive Touch icon by dragging it if you want to keep it on the screen.

In my experience, the Assistive Touch “rotate screen” buttons do not lock the orientation unless Portrait Lock is on. If Portrait Lock is off, then the Assistive Touch “rotate screen” buttons will rotate the screen as indicated, but physically rotating the phone will still cause the orientation to change.

In order to lock the screen in a different orientation besides standard portrait mode, the procedure is:
  • Double-tap the home button (either physically or through Assistive Touch)
  • Swipe to the right at the bottom of the screen.
  • Tap the Lock Portrait Mode button.
  • In Assistive Touch, rotate the screen to the orientation you want.
And now the orientation is locked. To unlock it, tap the Unlock Portrait Mode button.

I have set my phone to toggle Assistive Touch when triple-tapping the Home button, so I can easily turn it on and off for things like this, and also for switching back and forth between camera apps without moving the phone the way pushing the physical Home button does.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Has anybody else noticed the beautiful animation when you click the Home button from within an app?

The way the app "swooshes" away whilst entering the home screen is awesome!

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I noticed that nice animation (above post).
But, I'm not sure when this came in to iOS. But a different option of what size we send our emails in has been placed in to Mail.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    664.9 KB · Views: 441

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
If you remove all apps from Notification Center, then you can disable the swipe-down Notification Center by doing as follows:

1. Set the Home button triple-tap behavior to toggle AssistiveTouch.
2. Turn on AssistiveTouch.
3. Using, AssistiveTouch triple-tap the virtual Home button.

(To re-enable the swipe-down Notification Center, triple-tap the physical Home button.)

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I'm going to guess this was an iOS 5 feature.. I know you can add new albums directly in the phone, but was organizing every album allowed before?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.