Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talkybear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
I think suggesting contacts and apps is good, but I don't want to read news there...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You need to turn off Spotlight Suggestions in Spotlight settings I’m afraid.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
So, basically no way to remove the news section unless we nuke the whole thing?

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
And spotlight seems to pull in Twitter data also. Despite me not having signed into Twitter or even having the Twitter app. It shows me Twitter results but not my contacts... Grrrrr...

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Settings, General, Spotlight Search, scroll down until you see "Spotlight Suggestions" and then it off. That makes the news portion disappear.

Right ! Thank you very much , I was trying to do the opposite and you put me in the right direction ;-) I couldn't understand why I had it on my iPhone and not iPad !!!

Reactions: 0071238

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Settings, General, Spotlight Search, scroll down until you see "Spotlight Suggestions" and then it off. That makes the news portion disappear.

Does this just turn off the news portion or does it affect multiple items?

Peeetski

macrumors member
May 14, 2014
Does this just turn off the news portion or does it affect multiple items?

Yeah this gets rid of more than just the news section unfortunately :( Like the rest of Siri suggestions which can be kinda handy.

I would have thought a lot of people would be pretty annoyed at having this news section popping up all the time. Especially since it's not customisable.

P.

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
What's the point of having it tied to spotlight suggestions anyway? Everything else that uses spotlight suggestions is tied to the search results so they aren't really related. This along with having no ability to customize the news sources gives the feeling that spotlight suggestions is sponsored by the sites featured in news, I know this probably isn't the case it simply just gives that impression to me.
They put a option for news under spotlight settings but turning it off only affects search results, is this a oversight or a deliberate choice?

B3cpres

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
London
It just turns off the news section. "Siri Suggestions" and "Nearby" is still there.

What I want is to not only turn off all suggestions but to disable the blank search page that results when you toggle Siri Spotlight off. The whole function is completely useless and the blank page is just annoying

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
This is probably to force news promoted by some sort of advertisement payment to apple. At least we have a way of getting rid of it. Now.... We have 2 spotlights... one swiping left and another one swiping down?

Makes no real sense to me.

Pramuda

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2015
This is probably to force news promoted by some sort of advertisement payment to apple. At least we have a way of getting rid of it. Now.... We have 2 spotlights... one swiping left and another one swiping down?

Makes no real sense to me.

I found how to turn off news in Siri suggestion.

Go Settings- > iCloud - > News (turn toggle to off)

P.S. Also it switch off News app.

robertgenito

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
I found how to turn off news in Siri suggestion.

Go Settings- > iCloud - > News (turn toggle to off)

P.S. Also it switch off News app.

*Sigh*, and now Apple: working with news companies for profit and to program your mind. Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed this because he cared about people's consciousness.

Exitsentence

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2017
From lock screen swipe right to page where news headlines pop up and look on left side of screen. On the bottom left tap the small circle labeled edit. This opens an "add widgets" page. Scroll down to news widget, tap on red circle with minus sign and then select remove.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
From lock screen swipe right to page where news headlines pop up and look on left side of screen. On the bottom left tap the small circle labeled edit. This opens an "add widgets" page. Scroll down to news widget, tap on red circle with minus sign and then select remove.
Not quite sure that applies/applied to (early versions of) iOS 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.