Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Sometimes adding an event via an email it has a link to the email it was from, very handy for the details.

Is there a way to manually link to an email if making an event manually? This is using inbuilt iOS apps of calendar and mail. Would make a lot of my events handy for reference back the email rather than having to search.

waymarker

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2021
Sometimes adding an event via an email it has a link to the email it was from, very handy for the details.

Is there a way to manually link to an email if making an event manually? This is using inbuilt iOS apps of calendar and mail. Would make a lot of my events handy for reference back the email rather than having to search.
Yes, you can do this by dragging an email from the mail app into the calendar app. It’s a bit more fiddly on an iPhone vs an iPad, but just tap and start dragging a message in mail, then while keeping your finger on the screen, use another finger to go to the calendar app, then drag the message into the URL field of a new event. Save the new event, and you’ll see “show in mail” in the URL field.

Reactions: JM and MrMister111

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Yes, you can do this by dragging an email from the mail app into the calendar app. It’s a bit more fiddly on an iPhone vs an iPad, but just tap and start dragging a message in mail, then while keeping your finger on the screen, use another finger to go to the calendar app, then drag the message into the URL field of a new event. Save the new event, and you’ll see “show in mail” in the URL field.

Thanks so much!!!

Took me a few goes of trying but eventually got it. As you say much harder on my iPhone, but that’s really handy to know.

Thanks again for explaining.

Reactions: waymarker

larryleveen

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011

I recently stumbled on a feature I'd never seen mentioned anywhere (not that it hasn't been) for just this type of situation. Simply highlight the information in the email that you want to be included in the event, such as a videoconference link or phone number. It gets dutifully added when you hover the pointer over a date to reveal the outline/dropdown contextual menu giving you the option for to make an event.

I am really glad about this because of the number of webinars and meetings I need to attend and schedule. For some reason, the joining details often get left behind. I figure it has to do with the formatting involved in (some) confirmation emails preventing MacOS from recognizing that important info. Just give it a little help by highlighting it before creating the event and it works great. You don't event have to copy it to the clipboard. #stupidmactricks

Reactions: BBDDVV

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Did they break this functionality? I am trying to do it but once I drop the message on the URL field (and it seems happy enough as it has a green + on hover) it just disappears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.